Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna needs new tires, Dunlop or Pirelli?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Paul G
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna needs new tires, Dunlop or Pirelli?

Dunlop D404's, or a set of Pirelli's? Which would be a better choice? The Pirellis are a little more money. I dont need high end, or expensive tires. I dont go anywhere except around town. Never in the rain.

I have the Harley logo Dunlops on it now. Tread is like new on them, but the tires are old and the sidewalls are cracking. I put maybe a couple thousand miles a year on the scoot, thats it.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:58 PM
Kuniskis
Intermediate
Default RE: Dyna needs new tires, Dunlop or Pirelli?

I just put a set of Metzlers on and love them

Old 04-19-2008, 11:00 PM
HogGlider
Tourer

Based on my experience, I would suggest you look into a set of the Metzler ME880s. I am a big Dunlop fan myself, but after switching to these tires I don't think I can go back to a Dunlop tire. I ride mostly in the city as well, but also do some touring, the tread doesn't let the bike "track" int he groved pavements or concrete as much as a Dunlop, plus...this may just be me also, but I find myself having much more confidence going into the corners now than witht he Dunlops

Old 04-20-2008, 02:50 AM
Abysalone
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pretty much have no chicken strips on my Metzlers and only once did I feel the rear get a little loose. I do alot of hard riding through twisty backroads and they do very well. I have Pirelli Diablo Super Corsa's on my sportbike and they are sticky sumbiches, but expensive and not too good on mileage.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:31 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Don't cheap out on tires!The difference between a good tire and a lesser one could literally be life and death. I've used all the major brands.............i currently ride avons.Probably the best tire for you(inexpensive,good tire) would be Continental Milestones. Just remember to check pressures often.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:27 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

ORIGINAL: Paul G

Dunlop D404's, or a set of Pirelli's? Which would be a better choice? The Pirellis are a little more money. I dont need high end, or expensive tires. I dont go anywhere except around town. Never in the rain.

I have the Harley logo Dunlops on it now. Tread is like new on them, but the tires are old and the sidewalls are cracking. I put maybe a couple thousand miles a year on the scoot, thats it.
Only consider the D404 as last resort. These tires very much resemble the higher quality D401 and D402 series. The D404 will work alright....but much less mileage and the ride quality is not nearly as good. The D404 has less tread depth and is not belted.

If you choose Dunlop tires....I recommend the Police version tires. Second to that are the OEM stock tires that came on the machine from the factory. The third choice would be how much you can afford.

Alot of folks seem to believe wider tires are better and one should get the widest tire that will still work. This is a myth and is really not true! Wider only hurts your wallet and they do not perform any better than narrower tires.

Then, get in the habit of checking air pressure and do a visual inspection of your tires on a regular basis.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:32 AM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have ran dunlops on my fxst for the past 23 years and switched to metzlers this spring. My bike has never handled like this before. The metzlers are incredable!!........To set up in a turn, you barley have to move the bars........just lean right or left and the bike responds automatically, and i've been purposely finding groves and seams to see if they will track like every dunlop did...........They are not affected by groves at all! I only wish i had found metzlers years ago. I feel like my bike has been upgraded.........Bigtime [&:]

Old 04-20-2008, 07:59 AM
WildBillAce2
Road Master

Avons or Metzlers both are much better than the Dunlops

Old 04-20-2008, 09:00 AM
sparky248
Intermediate

Big kudos to the Metzler ME880's. I have much more confidence in my leans with the 880's compared to even my factory dunlops when they were new.. Great tire, not much more $ then the dunlop and just a great ride..

Old 04-20-2008, 09:35 AM
ericsenf
Tourer

Avons or Metzlers are better thank *stock* Dunlops. I put the Screamin Eagle Dunlop gt502s on the front and rear of my bike this winter as I needed to swap rubber. I looked at many options. With some recently reported problems with the Metzlers by local riders, and the fact that the Dunlops were only a few dollars more than stock, I went with those. Riding for 180 miles yesterday on the upper Mississippi River valley, with my 100 hp build, wet roads in places, and 2-up I can say that I am extremely pleased with the performance of the SE Dunlops.

If you are looking for a more touring vs. performance oriented tire, I have a friend that rode yesterday on a new set of the Harley Michelien Commanders. He was extremely pleased running those though I think the SE tires look better.

Quick Reply: Dyna needs new tires, Dunlop or Pirelli?