Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't Decide, New or Used Street Bob. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 05:53 PM
woolf
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't Decide, New or Used Street Bob. HELP!!!

I'm going out of my mind. My wife and I finally decided we want our first Harley. My current bike, XB12s Buell, is a little small for the two of us. However, my wife still will ride it with no complaints. She's been such a good girl I am going to surprise her with the Street Bob. Here's my problem. We were dead set on a new 08 Black Denim for $14140 OTD. I thought it was a pretty good deal to get in on a new bigger bike. Only thing is we still would need to spend the dough to get it to the point of being able to ride 2 up. Well, today while I was deliberating, I saw a used 06' Black Denim Street bob with the sissy bar, passenger seat, and passenger pegs already to go. I think I can get it for $11,000, and it only has 2800 miles. Should I buy the used one or the new one? Is the 96 CI Motor really all that better? Should I drop the idea of buying the bob and shoot for a late 90s fatboy or heritage? Would either of those two be better for two up? I'm going crazy here guys. Help me out, may be one of the biggest decisions of my life (although probably not) Here's the used one

Old 04-19-2008, 05:56 PM
mikeurig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Can't Decide, New or Used Street Bob. HELP!!!

buy the '06 and go ride.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:00 PM
BLade1127
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 That's what I did. Let someone else put their money into it and take the depreciation hit. I got mine 1 year old, with only 800 miles. Already had the exhaust and Stage1 done. You'll save so much more that way.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:19 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The '06 is a great deal, the two-up parts would set you back 5 - 7 hundred. I know....

There isn't a stock 96 cu that can pull away from you on the 88.

.....but for comfort for the passenger you should get a softail. The vibration through the 'a' engine into the footbegs (mounted on the swing arm) of the passenger is more than most can take for long.

The street bob also will get real squirrely with a passenger if you aren't careful with the throttle. =too short & not enough rake in the front to counter the extra weight behind the shock mount.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:23 PM
woolf
Intermediate

Thanks for the quick replies. So will the Bob not make a good bike for a passenger then? Not terribly concerned about squirley, gotta be better than the buell, but the vibration thing kinda concerns me. We are young so I am not to concerned, but maybe I am just being young and stupid.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:30 PM
miketami
Cruiser

Question #1, what type of 2 up riding do you do. Bar hop? long runs 250 miles? 350 miles? How big are the two of you? going from a buel to a dyna is allready going to be night and day. Then to a softail, then why not go for the bagger? See it is all relative to the size of you two, the size of your wallet, and the type riding.

That being said, used is allways the way to go. let someone else take the depr. and the loss fo bolt ons.

Good luck and let us know what you go with.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Bob Freels
Intermediate

If I had to do it all over again and had the opportunity, I would go for the used one that is already set up. I bought my 07 Bob new and of course added the pegs, sissy bar, side plates, pad, etc. right at the time of purchase, then forward controls a month later. Granted I installedeverything myself to save the labor raping $$$$, but that's how I roll. You'll by saving way more than the purchase price with the 06 over the new 08 which will make it much easier to spend on other extras like forward controls, windshield (maybe), pipes, stage 1, air cleaner. Ahh the posssibilities![8D]

Old 04-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Bob Freels
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: woolf

Thanks for the quick replies. So will the Bob not make a good bike for a passenger then? Not terribly concerned about squirley, gotta be better than the buell, but the vibration thing kinda concerns me. We are young so I am not to concerned, but maybe I am just being young and stupid.
I think the Bob is just fine for 2 up. I don't hear any complaints out of the old lady about vibration, she must be keeping that to herself. As long as your passenger fit on the back of a Buell you probably won't even notice her on the back of the bike.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:55 PM
woolf
Intermediate

I think I am really going to like this forum. You guys are great for response time. I am 6' and 215 lbs (for the time being, on my way down), and my wife is 5' 7" about 130 lbs. Most of the riding is going to be 250 miles or less. We will take trips locally, but nothing more than 350-450 miles, and notvery often. I am trying to not finance very much of the purchase price. To be honest, it was tough for me to make the decision to even finance part of something that is not a necessity. So, I can't see myself spending anymore than 14000-15000 new, and no more than 12,000 used.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:00 PM
ss377
Road Captain

I may be biased, but I would go with the 06. It's already set up for two up riding. I spent $800 on quick disconnect windshield, 1 piece 2 up Sundowner seat, passenger pegs and hardware, and quick disconnect sissy bar w/pad and mounting accessories. I got mine in Oct 05 and have 32,000 miles on it. The wife is somewhat of a fair weather rider, but now she's back on it at least twice a week.

Quick Reply: Can't Decide, New or Used Street Bob. HELP!!!