Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Began dismantling my narrow glide this afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008 | 01:16 AM
SURFOR Chop
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Began dismantling my narrow glide this afternoon

I picked up a take-off Fatboy front end this afternoon and got to work dismantling my narrow glide right away. I got the fender, wheel, headlight and risers/handlebars removed. The only thing on the frame now is the triple trees and the fork tubes. I need to get a torx socket to remove the pinch bolts on the trees. No photos yet, but I'll try to post a couple as I progress with the work.

R/
Priest

Old 04-18-2008 | 01:38 AM
SURFOR Chop
|
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Began dismantling my narrow glide this afternoon

Some crappy quality photos of the progress. I spent some quality time with my grinder today.

The first photo shows the block that acts as the fork stop for the FXDI must be ground down (about 2/3 of the way is adequate) so the FLST lower triple tree will clear (it's the light colored sqare in the center of the photo).

The second photo shows a view of the back side of the installed (mocked up) front end from the lower right rear. Some of the material on the fork stops on the lower triple tree must be removed, else your turning radius will be about 150 feet. As I discovered, the upper part of the face is where it contacts the frame ... best advice is to cut this part back at an angle.

Third photo just shows a upper right side rear view of the mocked up forks. Note: you can see my new Goodson AC and blacked out exhaust heat sheilds.

Other info ... the stock Fatboy forks are about an inch or two shorter than the stock Super Glide forks. I have been thinking of lowering the rear with some 11" Progressives ... I guess this may be the impetus to forge ahead with that plan. [Didn't go forward with this plan ... I don't think the difference--installed--was noticable ....]

Wish I had some better photos for y'all. I have posted my Narrow Glide front end and Mag wheel on the Parts for Sale section.

R/
Priest

Attached Thumbnails  Began dismantling my narrow glide this afternoon-2009-february-14018.jpg    Began dismantling my narrow glide this afternoon-2009-february-14017.jpg    Began dismantling my narrow glide this afternoon-032.jpg  

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 11-01-2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: add back photos
Old 04-18-2008 | 10:34 AM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master

Keep us posted. One dealership in Canada used to specialize in these "Lowboys" they used to call them. Fatboy front ends on a FX frame. Would love to see the finished product!

Old 04-20-2008 | 02:57 AM
SURFOR Chop
|
Elite HDF Member

While I had the front end dismantled, I decided to wire my bars internally. What a pain in the a$$ ... Glad I did it, but it took more time than I figured on.

I need to get a new wheel, fender, and headlight/tins. Also, one of my upper sliders has a dent and needs to be replaced. I'm trying to decide what direction to go ... I kind of like the black tins, but also thinking of going with the chrome nacelle instead.

I am leaning toward the Heritage/Deluxe style fender vice Fatboy ....

For the time being, I'm going to just go fenderless and sans tins, keep my classic 5 3/4" headlight ... something of a 'rat rod' look. Don't know if I'll get a chance to finish up before I deploy. It might be a few months 'til I get a chance to post a 'after' photo. Sucks I'll miss the riding season ....

Enjoy it for me!

R/
Priest

Old 04-20-2008 | 01:50 PM
SURFOR Chop
|
Elite HDF Member

Well, I snapped a couple of photos of all done ... except no wheel.

Guess that'll have to wait until I get back. I need to replace one of the 'cow bells' as one has a little dent in it. Took the photo of what it looks like without

I put my tools away and cleaned up the garage ... surprising how it doesn't seem that cluttered to me until I look at the photos!! D'oh!

Enjoy the riding season; and I may stop in to post my $0.02 on a thread now and again, but I guess I won't be posting any changes to my bike since I'll be deployed overseas.

R/
Priest

Attached Thumbnails  Began dismantling my narrow glide this afternoon-033.jpg    Began dismantling my narrow glide this afternoon-034.jpg  

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 11-01-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2008 | 03:53 PM
mud
muderator

ORIGINAL: Priest

Well, I snapped a couple of photos of all done ... except no wheel.

Enjoy the riding season; and I may stop in to post my $0.02 on a thread now and again,

but I guess I won't be posting any changes to my bike since I'll be deployed overseas.

R/
Priest
Good job on the front end Priest.

Keep your ears perked up and your eyeballs peeled
while you're over there.

Be safe.

mud

Old 04-20-2008 | 09:43 PM
SURFOR Chop
|
Elite HDF Member

Thanks, Mud ... will do.

R/
Priest

Old 04-30-2008 | 02:58 AM
SURFOR Chop
|
Elite HDF Member

In my second post, I showed on the aft, inner faces of the lower triple tree some material needs to be removed (using a grinder). I doctored the photo a little to better explain how that's done if anyone's interested.

I've been looking at a thread where several forum members have converted over to Wide Glide front ends. I envy those '06 and later guys where the fork tubes are the same 49mm tubes on the FXDWG and all you basically have to do is change out the triple trees!

I think it's DiggerD who did a new paint job and then shortly after that went Wide ... looks really sweet my friend! (Although, as I recall, your bike is pre-'06 ... you had to do it the hard way!) Lookin' good fellas, enjoy the ride!

Respectfully,

Priest

[Couldn't find the retouched photo ....]

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 11-01-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-30-2008 | 08:36 PM
DiggerD
Tourer

Thanks for the props!! You are correct mine is an 01. I had given the fat boy front end a thought early on so I am really interested in seeing how yours turns out. I think you have a great start so hurry up and get over there,complete your mission and get back safe so we can check out the finished product!!

DD

Old 04-30-2008 | 08:52 PM
Sec Super Glide
Road Captain

Priest give some thought to getting a Jackel two inch tank lift you will love the way the bike looks raked and a no brainer to install. Looks like a good fit for the bike please let us know how it handles with the change.
Be safe

Quick Reply: Began dismantling my narrow glide this afternoon