Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Began dismantling my narrow glide this afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012 | 05:51 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior

Hi SurforChop great looking bike you have there, i have a 2002 FXD with the 28* neck is this a good candidate bike, i now have all the parts to do this fatboy front end, but unsure if the fender would be too close to the frame downtubes when hitting a bump and the forks compress. I have a softail front end on there now, could i reuse the fork tubes even though they are about 2 inches longer, i could install a 2 inch lowering kit or buy longer cow bells.

THX

Old 08-28-2012 | 06:28 PM
SURFOR Chop
|
Elite HDF Member

Rob:

The Softail Heritage fender will risk bottoming on the frame ... my original fender got a crease across the '11 o'clock' position from hitting my engine guard/highway bar ... also the extreme lower edge of the fender skirt got pushed in a little from making contact with the voltage regulator ...

I was using the stock FLST_ (Fat Boy/Heritage/Deluxe) forks ... that was my motivation to upgrade the forks with the Race Tech Gold Valve cartridge emulators and specific-use (in my case 95kg) springs and some further fine tuning with fork oil level and gold valve spring adjustments ...

Since upgrading the front forks, I haven't had any issues with the stock-length forks or clearance of the fender ...

I think that having the 2" over length fork tubes would also work ... I know that there are over-length cow bells available ... I explored that as an option originally ...

I think with a Wide Glide as a starting platform (having a slightly greater rake) there is no issue ... but, when one adapts the FL front end to the rest of the Dyna line up, it is a valid concern ...

R/
'Chop

Old 08-28-2012 | 07:33 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member

looks good..

Old 08-28-2012 | 08:00 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
Rob:

The Softail Heritage fender will risk bottoming on the frame ... my original fender got a crease across the '11 o'clock' position from hitting my engine guard/highway bar ... also the extreme lower edge of the fender skirt got pushed in a little from making contact with the voltage regulator ...

I was using the stock FLST_ (Fat Boy/Heritage/Deluxe) forks ... that was my motivation to upgrade the forks with the Race Tech Gold Valve cartridge emulators and specific-use (in my case 95kg) springs and some further fine tuning with fork oil level and gold valve spring adjustments ...

Since upgrading the front forks, I haven't had any issues with the stock-length forks or clearance of the fender ...

I think that having the 2" over length fork tubes would also work ... I know that there are over-length cow bells available ... I explored that as an option originally ...

I think with a Wide Glide as a starting platform (having a slightly greater rake) there is no issue ... but, when one adapts the FL front end to the rest of the Dyna line up, it is a valid concern ...

R/
'Chop
THx for the reply Chop, great info, guess i will stick with the longer fork tubes and get longer cow bells, would be cheaper for me that way.

rob

Old 01-05-2013 | 01:22 PM
huntnaz
Cruiser

Hey SURFOR Chop awesome job on your front end...love the fat tire look! I have been thinking off and on of going for a bigger tire for my Streetbob. Again awesome job!!