Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 FXDI triple tree moves at bottom of frame

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:30 AM
mrthinkshesfunny
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 FXDI triple tree moves at bottom of frame

Well,This is hard to describe but after searching I couldn't find an answer.So hear goes,I was jacking my bike up and heard a clunk when the front end came off the ground.I knew that didn't sound right so I did it about 20 more times while watching it pretty close and what is happening is the lower part of the triple tree is moving forward when the weight of the bike is on the front tire. When the bike is lifted up the bottom of the triple tree moves rearward.After having it in the air I shook the front tire pretty good and could get the bottom of the tree to move around a bit.My guess is I have a bad bearing in the frame at the bottom of the triple tree.My Super Glide has a wide glide conversion on it (bought it like this).Any ideas?Is it something that can be adjusted? Dealer only Fix? Thanks for the help.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:31 AM
mrthinkshesfunny
Cruiser
Default RE: 05 FXDI triple tree moves at bottom of frame

Well ,after reading about evey post in and about front ends that I could find, it appears there is a bearing that needs to be tightened or replaced in the neck where the triple tree goesor steering head is what some are calling it.Thanks and feel free to toss in an idea or two.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:05 AM
mrthinkshesfunny
Cruiser

I think I figured it out.I read myservice manual about replacing the bearings in the steering head and decided to just try to tighten the 1 3/8" bolt up on the top of the triple tree.I didn't have a pinch bolt on thetop triple tree like the OEM does so I just started tightening and tightening and I bet I went a couple full turns on it but the bars still turn effortlessly and all the slop is gone from the bottom of the triple tree.I must say I thought something was broken as much movement as there was in it but all seems well now.I'm surprised there isn't a lock bolt of some sort on it.I'll probably put a couple marks on the bolt and the top of the tree to give me a visual if it starts backing off.Thanks

Old 04-17-2008, 04:10 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Please step away from the bike and think what you are doing. In hearing a clunk in your steering head due to loose headstock Timkin Taper bearings, don't you think there is more to be investigated? Without taking the trees apart and inspecting the bearings you will not know if they are damaged. You may wish to inspect for grease and may wish to service them while taking them apart. The only way to inspect the bearings is by removing the grease. This is a major component and with proper maintenance needed to correct this problem. Steering is very important and this is a major component.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:53 PM
mrthinkshesfunny
Cruiser

Thanks Fast Harley,I follow the need to inspect idea.You are right that if therewas alack of grease that destroyed the bearings I'll never know unless I take it apart.A bit of grease came out the bottom joint when I was tightening the bolt. I'm sure I didn't tighten it up 2 full turns it wasmore like a 1/2 maybe 3/4 of a turn,it seemed like more in the late hour.There is absolutely no play at all in it now.The bars still turn side to side effortlessly.If I tightened the bearings overtight my service manual said the bars wouldn't turn freely which I would probably have to do to take out all the play in bad bearings.I'm most likely haveing a 5 K done soon and will have them double check for any issues.Thanks for the tip.I wouldn't even think about getting on something I didn't think was safe.Its a heck of a lot safer now than it was.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:30 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,097 Likes on 354 Posts

do a service bulletin search, seems not to many posts ago, there was a bulletin posted for dyna steering head bearings.