Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Northern Tools jack doesn't work for me.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:47 PM
tbone52
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Northern Tools jack doesn't work for me.

At least not with the Dyna jack adapters that level the bike when attempting a full bike lift.

The bar across the front of the jack hit the jiffy stand and do not allow the jacking surface of the jack to extend far enough under the bike to reach the frame rails on the jiffy stand side of the bike.

I tried to lean the bike over on one side with the adapters on to retract the jiffy stand and attempt to slide the jack all the way under while sitting on the bike but no dice. When I leaned it over the adapters on the frame rail opppositethe jiffy stand contacted the jacking surface and prevented the jack from moving at all.

Oh well, I thought I had something there.

Maybe I could bolt some wood on the jack to replicate the adapters and provide the level lifting platform and clearance of the transmission/engine case that the adapters provide.

I haven't pulled up the milk crate with a cup of coffee yet to think this one through.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:02 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Northern Tools jack doesn't work for me.

It will work. Sounds like my sears yellow jack. You need to keep the stand up. It's awkward but doable. I sit on the bike and slide the jack under with the stand up. Then hop off, hold onto the bars with one hand and pump the jack with the other. No problems, then to lower I hold on with one hand lower the jack, slide it out of the way and hop on the bike to put the stand back down. That is the only way to get the jack under and centered to provide a stable lifting surface.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:41 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man i have the yellow jack as well but have lowered bike and no dice, i have to ride up on2x6 and need two people to be safe

Old 04-16-2008, 08:57 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nkauf21

It will work. Sounds like my sears yellow jack. You need to keep the stand up. It's awkward but doable. I sit on the bike and slide the jack under with the stand up. Then hop off, hold onto the bars with one hand and pump the jack with the other. No problems, then to lower I hold on with one hand lower the jack, slide it out of the way and hop on the bike to put the stand back down. That is the only way to get the jack under and centered to provide a stable lifting surface.
yup!

and for widleglidebob - if the sears yellow does not fit under your bike - it must be lowered by several inches. the sears yellow goes as low as any i've seen.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:25 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

My bike has 11" progressives and is lowered 1" in the front and I have no issues getting the jack under at all.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:31 PM
wwgilstrap
Advanced

I just ride my bike onto a piece of 2X4 then a 4X4, front tire only and that gives it enough clearence.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:17 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lowered one inch front and back and with the addition of spacers i just cannot get it to work, i`m considering this thing i have seen where you just have a handle and pieace goes under bike some kinda tubing than you just left it takes it off ground about 2 to three inch

Old 04-17-2008, 02:33 PM
tbone52
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: wwgilstrap

I just ride my bike onto a piece of 2X4 then a 4X4, front tire only and that gives it enough clearence.
Good idear. I was thinking of something like that.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Rauzer
Road Captain

I had the same issue...

So when do you put the spacers on the frame then?? I was thinking that I put on the right 2 andthe left front, sit on the bike, put the stand up, put the left rear on, slide the jack under and lift. Is that right?? Seems like it may still hit the stand. I hadnt seen anyone else post this issue until now. [&:]

Old 04-17-2008, 04:10 PM
tbone52
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Rauzer

I had the same issue...

So when do you put the spacers on the frame then?? I was thinking that I put on the right 2 andthe left front, sit on the bike, put the stand up, put the left rear on, slide the jack under and lift. Is that right?? Seems like it may still hit the stand. I hadnt seen anyone else post this issue until now. [&:]
I tried a friend's yellow Sears jack a while back and didn't have the adapters. It hit the stand going under the bike. I had to put the stand up while sitting on the bike and start lifting while on the bike. I didn't like the fact that it was not level and also lifting on the transmission case. I let it down and didn't use the lift.
The red jack I have might not go down as far as the sears yellow jack. Maybe the sears jack will have enough clearance to clear the adapters on the right side when I lean the bike over to put the jiffy stand up to slide the jack all the way under the bike.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to build three platforms. One for each wheel and one for the jiffy stand to raise the bike off the floor before I push the jack under, get on the bike, retract the jiffy stand and push the jack all the way under the bike before starting to lift.

Quick Reply: Northern Tools jack doesn't work for me.