Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did the OEM forward Controls last week

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009 | 08:14 PM
dynabagger
Advanced
Default leakage

I put the forward controls on my 07 super glide right after I got it in May of 07. About a year later (10,000 miles) I started having primary fluid leaking out of the hole in the primary where the shifter shaft for the mid controls came through. I pulled the outer primary and the gasket between the inner and outer that seals the hole had moved down and was letting fluid into the hole. I put a new gasket on. No leak, until about a month ago. Started leaking again. Found the gasket had moved down again, I put some gasket sealant on it when I put it in the last time. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 04-12-2009 | 08:51 PM
Don51
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dynabagger
I put the forward controls on my 07 super glide right after I got it in May of 07. About a year later (10,000 miles) I started having primary fluid leaking out of the hole in the primary where the shifter shaft for the mid controls came through. I pulled the outer primary and the gasket between the inner and outer that seals the hole had moved down and was letting fluid into the hole. I put a new gasket on. No leak, until about a month ago. Started leaking again. Found the gasket had moved down again, I put some gasket sealant on it when I put it in the last time. Has anyone else had this problem?
It sounds like the mid shifter shaft should be left in place....maybe it keeps the seal from sliding down.

Old 05-09-2009 | 01:34 PM
Pepsimayn
Tourer

Originally Posted by Frozen Crome
I took every ones advice and did it my self. I did not have to split the primary at all. First I took the shift lever off and slid the shaft to the inside and used a pnumatic hack saw with a normal hacksaw blade and guided it with my finger and riped right through the shaft and pulled it out. I did have to unplug the spark plug wires and move them out of the way. I then loosened the trans shifter arm and with a 90 degree screwdriver I was able to pry the splines open a little bit. I tiped the top of the shifter arm towards the engine and there was enough clearance to sneak it out. The new shaft was already was never compressed so I did not have to pry it at all I just put it down in there at an angel and it slid right on no problem and I did not have to force anything it went right together about an hour and a half.

What about marking the shifter shaft like the instructions say to? Pulling the stock lever off this way would seem like you'd have to eyeball the new one going on?

Raining now but I hope to finish up by tomorrow. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 09-04-2015 | 01:00 AM
Paul Bracken
Stage I

Originally Posted by Frozen Crome
I took every ones advice and did it my self. I did not have to split the primary at all. First I took the shift lever off and slid the shaft to the inside and used a pnumatic hack saw with a normal hacksaw blade and guided it with my finger and riped right through the shaft and pulled it out. I did have to unplug the spark plug wires and move them out of the way. I then loosened the trans shifter arm and with a 90 degree screwdriver I was able to pry the splines open a little bit. I tiped the top of the shifter arm towards the engine and there was enough clearance to sneak it out. The new shaft was already was never compressed so I did not have to pry it at all I just put it down in there at an angel and it slid right on no problem and I did not have to force anything it went right together about an hour and a half.
Hey ya'll

I'm new to this forum, and forums period, but I just wanted to say thanks, just got done puttinf my forwards on and I didn't split the primarys, everything went smoothly and turned out great. Way better that'll that 70 per hour I was gunna be charged.

This is the before picture

This is after, ill get some more pictures tomorrow when im not crammed in the shed, but notice no crash bar, it wont fit with the new controls

Old 02-15-2018 | 09:14 PM
streetglide1969
Stage II

To Frozen Crome- What year is your Dyna? Thanks