Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I spent a few hours at the dealer and...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:15 PM
michaelvs710
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I spent a few hours at the dealer and...

Im not sure if I got ripped or not. I have a 08 Street Bob w/ Rineharts slipons and a Big Sucker with K&N filter. I brought it in yesterday to get a regular map (not dyno) just so everything ran right because it seemed to be running to lean after the mods. The map came to $150 plus labor. Once I got home I called around to3 other dealers and they told me this cant be done with 08's the only thing you can get is a dyno. Were they just looking to make more money? Mind you the bike is still popping in decel.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:11 PM
paulies 07
Road Captain
Default RE: I spent a few hours at the dealer and...

I had Rush slip ons and a Ness big sucker put on at my dealer before I picked up my bike, they did not charge me for that remap, after about 500 miles it was still running too hot so I took it back and got another free remap, my wg still ran a little hot, and was informed by the service mgr. the next step was a sert and a dyno good by $800 bucks. Just put on the ied's that night rider sells, what a difference, I've only been out for a short ride since I put them on but my scoot is running a lot cooler, and louder, and more git up and go

Old 04-13-2008, 02:51 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

plus labor? I'm almost afraid to ask what they charged you in labor to plug a computer in and download a map.

Anyway, most likely you are still running too lean as has been the word on the stage 1 remap. That's why I went a different route. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think they could have done anything for you on a dyno unless you purchased and installed a power commander or a SERT anyway. I've heard nothing about remaps not working for 08's vs. 07's so that's probably BS. However, the remaps are not good enough IMO and you still have popping to back that theory up. Get something aftermarket to help your air/fuel ratio and forget about those remaps. My 2 cents...

Old 04-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Cannons Custom
Advanced

Alot of dealers won't do anything like that. I'm surprised they didn't try to get you to buy a Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner or a Power Comander. I'm also confused on how they would remap your system without running it on the dyno to see how the engine was running at certain RPM's. Basically I think you received bad information and got screwed by the dealer. Sorry.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:35 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Cannons Custom

I'm also confused on how they would remap your system without running it on the dyno to see how the engine was running at certain RPM's.
They download a "canned" map for stage 1 to the bike's ECM. I've heard they charge about $150 for the downloads but never realized they added a labor charge to that as most of the service is labor to start with. Other than the labor, it's all software. He didn't get ripped on that but still may not be happy with it. It's the other dealers telling him that he has to dyno an 08 bike in order to set it properly that has me confused. They can throw it on a dyno all they want but, without a tuner like a PCIII or a SERT, they can't adjust it.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:39 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

ORIGINAL: Cannons Custom

I'm also confused on how they would remap your system without running it on the dyno to see how the engine was running at certain RPM's.
They download a "canned" map for stage 1 to the bike's ECM. I've heard they charge about $150 for the downloads but never realized they added a labor charge to that as most of the service is labor to start with. Other than the labor, it's all software. He didn't get ripped on that but still may not be happy with it. It's the other dealers telling him that he has to dyno an 08 bike in order to set it properly that has me confused. They can throw it on a dyno all they want but, without a tuner like a PCIII or a SERT, they can't adjust it.
+1 no tuner no dyno

Old 04-14-2008, 06:46 AM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put on the ied's that night rider sells
Paulie, I have to ask what an ied is? I assume it's a fuel enhancement device, but of what type/make?

Old 04-14-2008, 07:05 AM
flynavy
Road Master

Oops, sorry Michael, forgot to comment for you:

There IS in fact a "Stage I" dl that all dealers can perform to the ECU. It is avaialble for the 08's (from everything I've read and I keep in touch with the MoCo very well through reading), so no clue why 3 dealers would claim there is no such thing for your bike.....especially when you just paid to have said "non-existent" dl done. As unscrupulous as some dealers are, I can't imagine a service department charging you for something that either was never really done, or does not exist.

In truth with intake/exhaust set-ups less dramatic than yours, the Stage I can work. However with your Rineharts and the BS, you're really suckin' and blowin' now in a big way compared to stock.

The MoCo sets up the bikes to run lean from the factory to be "EPA friendly." It really sucks - no pun intended. I wish HD would start making bikes where you could choose between an EFI or carb set-up. I think it would boost their lagging sales right now...but hey, what do I know?

With all the air your bike is now taking in with little or no fuel added, you're running so lean your popping and likely running very hot. There are many fuel enhancement devices on the market to richen up your fuel/air mix. Some work better than others...you get what you pay for...sometimes. SERT is likely the best way to go to be certain you get the best of all worlds: sound, performance, etc. It will be expensive, BUT if you can find one on Ebay, they typically run $400 or less. Buy it yourself and find a dealer who will install and set it up for an hour's worth of labor - I know dealers who will charge a half hour only, and dial it in pretty close to perfect. You'll want to run for a while with the initial set-up, then the dealer will recommend you come back in for a final adjustment, dyno, and "perfection." Around here, the second visit is usually done for the dyno charge only.

For $200, I believe Rinehart makes a device that may mate well with your set up. For the same money,V&H makes the FuelPak which some have success with, and some do not. Then there are others more expensive, like Thundermax - "self adjusting" for $800. I have heard even that has it's own issues.

It all really depends on what you want, which from the sound of your initial post, you want the bike to run right, no popping, and operate cooler. Any fuel enhancement device will provide this for you, but choose which one will work best for your budget wisely. Ask around...check with a reputable dealer, better yet, go over to "Ask Mike" at the Latus HD site. Free, sound advice. Just because his paychecks are signed by HD doesn't mean he always recommends the standard MoCo answers - he is good and will not steer you wrong.

Best of Luck!!

PS (In the interim) if you want to cut out the popping for the most part or all together, leave the pipes on, but re-install your stock a/c. Less air in, will make it less lean. It won't hurt anything for the short term.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:12 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: flynavy

Just put on the ied's that night rider sells
Paulie, I have to ask what an ied is? I assume it's a fuel enhancement device, but of what type/make?
Tim, I was reading a post about these the other day but now I can't find it. I know there is a huge thread on it in the EFI forum. It appears to be an in-line electronic fuel enrichment device that costs less than $100. It doesn't appear to be adjustable or customizable but it seems to be getting good reviews. I'm very surprised they'd use the term "IED" in this day and age while we are having people killed in IRAQ by bombs by the same name almost every day.

I believe the company that makes it is called Night Rider.

Oh, as far as your other post, I'm sure HD would like to offer carbed bikes as well and would probably just as soon not have to lean them out as much either and may even make more of an effort to have them sound like a harley off the floor. But, thanks to the EPA, they are already struggling to give us what they do. I saw an episode of American Thunder the other day that showed this high-dollar facility that HD has for R&D on this stuff. They spend a lot of time and money trying to preserve the Big-Twin performance and sound and satisfy the EPA in the process.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:42 AM
flynavy
Road Master

Hmmm..I'mm gonna have to DVR that episode.

Personally, I don't think you can make EPA happy and retain the Big twin true personality.

If you find the link to the post on the IED's in the EFI forum,PM it to me.

Quick Reply: I spent a few hours at the dealer and...