Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front pipes bluing...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 10:55 AM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front pipes bluing...

Went for a ride this morning on an unexpected nice day.I had just re-cal'd my throttle on the Fuelpak mode 19 because I am still getting some (infrequent, but present)pops. They happen right at that "deadband spot"...when you are not rolling on power, but not quite rolling off all the way....
[/align]I got back and looked at my pipes - which are well concealed by the heat shields by the way, because I noticed for the first time that both my front pipes are blue!! I am quickly entering panic mode here, bro's.
[/align]My back pipes (the slip-ons) are still perfect chrome. Do only the front pipes blue when there is an exhaust leak at any location in the system,OR are they blue because of a possible leak where they meet the engine manifold? I know I torqued down the clamps very tightly when I installed the V&H HS Slip-Ons. Just checked those 2 bolts - one each pipe, and they are very tight still.[/align][/align]I replaced my front heatshield once, cannot recall if the pipe was blue then (pre-Stage I mod), but I think I would have noticed if it was...[/align][/align]**Anyone else have bluish front pipes coming from the engine manifold, and you are just running stock?**[/align][/align]Can't imagine any possible leak anywhere in the system. Where the two front pipes meet the manifolds,theyhave never been fiddled with since original assembly. Clamps confirmed tight on the slip-ons.[/align][/align]Could really use some experienced, knowledgeable feedback here to prevent a possible all-out anxiety attack!!![/align][/align]

Old 04-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Bottomend
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front pipes bluing...

Are you talking the pipes coming out of the heads? Under the heat shield? Is it just the pipe or is it the heat shield? When you say front pipe that usually means the front cylinder...

Old 04-12-2008, 11:15 AM
flynavy
Road Master

The bluing is on the pipes under the heatshields...heatshields are perfect chrome.

This is only on both pipes coming from the heads. Sorry, by front pipes, I mean both pipes coming out of the heads.

The slip-ons under the heatshields are also perfect chrome.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:20 AM
up in minot
Road Captain

As you know, from previous posts, I have the FP, stage 1 A/C and V&H slip ons.Both of the pipes coming from my heads, under the stock heatshields,are blue. As in blue, I mean blue as blue can be! I've seen some others who have Rush slip ons, with the cert, and stage 1 A/C (all HD installed), and theirs seem to be about the same as mine. Also, I've seen some bare bone stock bikes out there that are the same blue as mine. Now, I'm in no way saying this is "normal", or even "good", but with all the different variations of set up's I've looked at, I'm ASSUMING (yeah, yeah, I know what that means ), that it is OK. Maybe some others have some input that is better than just me looking at different bikes...

So, what about those Quiet Baffles? Anything new? Looking to get rid of 'em yet?

Old 04-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Bottomend
Banned

It's normal....don't sweat it...

Old 04-12-2008, 11:29 AM
flynavy
Road Master

Thanks Minot...I feel a lot better already...but hope more post the same feedback.

I just ran across those QB's this morning tinkering in my basement. I never even took them out of their individual boxes, just out of the main box they both came in. I have to find a new box to fit them.

They are yours. Say $45 bucks and whatever the shipping is, we can split it....? Sound okay? If you have paypal, wait until I get them packed up, taken to UPS and shipped out and then you can paypal me the 45 plus half the shipping cost. PM me your address.

Tim

Old 04-12-2008, 12:12 PM
2Wheels Engine or no
Intermediate

I just took off my header pipes and V&H slip-on set-up last night to put on a new set of BSSs. I was also running Fuelpak and K&N AC. The head pipes (not the heat shields) were quite blue as well. I assume this is normal as the headpipes were factory installeds as yours were. The bike was either stock or equiped with Fuelpak at all times. 5000miles on it. Not that I know much, but I would say don't sweat it.

A lot of guys on here have had luck getting rid of popping by changing fuelpak setting 23 from 16 to either 15 or 50.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:17 PM
l.ray
Road Warrior

it is not normal! either the timing is off, or tuning is out. remapp your tuner or get dynoed.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Bottomend
Banned

Sorry Ray, I don't agree...It's the heat turning the chrome blue...go look at any bike, if you can find one not blue I'll eat my hat!!!

Old 04-12-2008, 12:22 PM
up in minot
Road Captain

l.ray, how do you know this? What is the reasoning behind this?

Quick Reply: Front pipes bluing...