Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I switch to a V-ROD

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 07:48 PM
f6noob
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I switch to a V-ROD

Hi,

I posted in the VRSC forum - I'll get biased opinions but i'm looking for all I can get.

I have a 2005 Dyna Super Glide carb version with Stage 1 and V&H 2in1 pipe, forward controls and some saddlebags thrown on. Rides nice. All black. I haven't done much riding on it - only last season I got a few hundred miles on it so it's been not ridden hard or for long periods at a time (to work and back, maybe a 1 hour jaunt here and there, no cruisin)

I suspect I'll keep that type of driving up.

Anyone have opinions on the V-RODs - specifically I like (okay, okay... LOVE THE LOOK) of the Night Rod Special. What are the pros and cons of the Dyna over the VRSC? I'm not a super aggressive rider, ie I don't think I'll lean so much that i'll be scraping the pegs and front end of a VRSC. However, I love the sound of my Dyna now, it's so nice, and functional for work, etc.

So - instead of just buying and regretting - I'm looking for any feedback especially if you have driven both.

thanks a bunch!!

Old 04-11-2008, 07:55 PM
mikeurig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: should I switch to a V-ROD

Go do a demo ride and determine what you like best.
You need to get out and ride, no matter what bike you own.

Mike

Old 04-11-2008, 07:59 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

IMHO, I hate v-rods. hate their lines. just never liked the bike at all. if I ever won a v-rod, I'd get rid of it by shooting it in the leg. lol

Old 04-11-2008, 08:09 PM
coastrider
Road Master

In my narrow minded humble opinion real motorsickles don't have radiators. The motor company spent millions of dollars getting the european designed motor to sound likea real HD. I rode behind one for about 50 miles one time and my head felt like it was full of bees, a very irritating high hum. It took me several miles to figure out what was causing it.

Ride Safe.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Fang
Cruiser

If you like the v-rod....get one!...Its a great bike. I have a friend that has one, and I have rode a few miles on his...you cant compare it to any other bike in the harley line. It was designed and built to be its own kind of bike, not better.....different. As for me, I fell in love with my first Superglide in 1973, It has always been the bike for me. Good luck with your search.....

Old 04-11-2008, 08:25 PM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Apples and oranges, man.
Like Mike said, take a test ride, that way you'll know for sure
About the only thing they have in common is the Bar and Shield and the stealer you take them to for service.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:53 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: f6noob

Hi,

I posted in the VRSC forum - I'll get biased opinions but i'm looking for all I can get.

I have a 2005 Dyna Super Glide carb version with Stage 1 and V&H 2in1 pipe, forward controls and some saddlebags thrown on. Rides nice. All black. I haven't done much riding on it - only last season I got a few hundred miles on it so it's been not ridden hard or for long periods at a time (to work and back, maybe a 1 hour jaunt here and there, no cruisin)

I suspect I'll keep that type of driving up.

Anyone have opinions on the V-RODs - specifically I like (okay, okay... LOVE THE LOOK) of the Night Rod Special. What are the pros and cons of the Dyna over the VRSC? I'm not a super aggressive rider, ie I don't think I'll lean so much that i'll be scraping the pegs and front end of a VRSC. However, I love the sound of my Dyna now, it's so nice, and functional for work, etc.

So - instead of just buying and regretting - I'm looking for any feedback especially if you have driven both.

thanks a bunch!!
Hey, I'm with you on the NightRod Special!!! Great looking bike.You have to decide, though.
Personally, if I wanted a sport bike I think I would be more inclined toward one of the new buells.

From what you described about your bike and riding style, I would just keep what you have. JMHO

Go test drive what you think you want, and then decide.

DougJ

Old 04-11-2008, 09:03 PM
f6noob
Intermediate

I used to ride a R6, however the Crotch Rocket style of sitting was not the most comfortable - the 75 min ride to cottage was a little tough, so the riding position of the Dyna is nice, i like my legs sticking forward!! The VROD sitting position looks ok to me, I've just heard it was not comfortable and wanted opinions. I'm not doing 8 hour rides (yet...) but is the VROD comfortable enough? I guess it's what your used to so I'll have to try one.. but none at the stealer to try.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:42 PM
tomato
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Like everyone is saying, it really depends what you are after. IMHO, I would not spend any more money against a 300 mile/year hobby. The V-Rod is a sweet ride if you like pushing the speed and handling limites, but it doesn't sound like that's your style.

If I could afford it right now, I'd adda Night Rod Special, Nightster and Rocker Cto my collection, in order of preference...

Old 04-11-2008, 09:54 PM
simsjam
Cruiser

I like my 06 FXD too and the VROD is a whole different deal. The only way you'll know is do a test ride. In a side note the VROD design may be the way things are heading in the future. Most of us believe a Harley should not be liquid cooled with a radiator. I see it as a system with yet more maintenance and a failure point. Thanks to the government (read EPA) they see liquid cooling as a way to control emissions on motorcycles. Just like with the muffler mess the govt loves to target motorcycles like they are big polluters. Only time will tell if the VROD is the next step or just a dead end. The Discovery channel did a story on the VROD build plant that was pretty interesting.

Quick Reply: should I switch to a V-ROD