Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decision made.Going with S.E.R.T.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 01:15 AM
italiano
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decision made.Going with S.E.R.T.

well ive read and read and thought about it.ive decided to go with a S.E.R.T.now im wondering about how much did yall pay for it and the labor for install.i know the prices will vary but want a rough estimate.i have S.E.2s on my bob now and later im going with v&h big radius pipes.maybe more later.way later.i figure it would be better to get the sert up front and get it retuned as i go.also one more question.i live in south east louisiana so im wondering if there is a list of dealers with a dyno.and is it true the sert also contains the h-d download?sorry for all the questions i just want to make sure ive made the right choice.

Old 02-11-2006, 02:27 AM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Decision made.Going with S.E.R.T.

The downloads are nothing more than a single MAP for your ECM. The SERT comes with the same MAP's and a lot more. The SERT is also capable of fine tuning almost any combination of parts or modification done to the engine.

Old 02-11-2006, 02:48 AM
fripple
Road Warrior

Sorry for the dumb question here, but i'm a newbie. Ok the SERT, is it basically the same thing as a Power Commander? Why not go with a Power Commander? Pros/Cons?

Old 02-11-2006, 09:03 AM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fripple

Sorry for the dumb question here, but i'm a newbie. Ok the SERT, is it basically the same thing as a Power Commander? Why not go with a Power Commander? Pros/Cons?
There's no dumb questions regarding this stuff. The world of fuel injected scooters can get very confusing.

The SERT programs the factory ECU and has the capability to adjust, in fine detail, every parameter possible. This includes timing, fuel, rev limit, etc. The adjustment is virtually infinate but does require an experienced hand to get the most out of it. PC required.

The PCIII is an external controller that intercepts signals from the factory ECU and recalabrates the signal based on a fuel map. Newer version have more capabilities depending on the model.Advantage is that most areas have dynojet tuning centers who are familiar with this unit and can tune it pretty well for a reasonable fee. Maps available for download from the internet to get things started.

The DFO/TFI's are another add module that adds signal to the injector pulse but can only modify (add) fuel only. In most mild cases like changing pipes and air cleaners, adding some fuel to the entire range is all that is needed. Simple to tune even for a noob.

It gets much deeper and detailed. There's a ton on info on this site so do a search and visit the various sites to learn more (techlusion.com, powercommander.com etc)

Old 02-11-2006, 09:17 PM
italiano
Tourer

how much does the sert run about with labor?

Old 02-12-2006, 03:11 AM
italiano
Tourer

any body out there?

Old 02-12-2006, 03:40 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

List price is $460. "Installation" only takes a few minutes. So figure 30 minutes of shop time.

But the actual tuning of your bike will take more time than that. That's where you'll spend the bux. Hard to say how much. That depends on how far off one of the supplied factory maps is. It could take a couple of hours or a few minutes to get it right.

Old 02-12-2006, 04:04 AM
italiano
Tourer

thank you man seems like the question of cost was avoided.i kept seeing how it is compared to the other programs whch ive seen here a million times.thank you.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

Ask around to find a good shop that can tune a bike with a SERT.

Ask the tech for an estimate of what it generally costs. Is at a flat rate or by the hour for work performed on the dyno?

I don't think anyone can give you a firm price unless they are willing to do the job for what THEY quote.

Good choice going with a SERT.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Thorns
Cruiser

If you can use a computer, you can install the SERT program, and reprogram your ECM with one of the canned maps. Read the manual first. Then you can tweak(do some research here) a copy of the canned map, on your computer, save it with a different name(so you don't overwrite the original file), and reprogram your ECM with it. You can do this as many times as you want, but keep a log of your changes. Then when you think you have it running really well, take your bike to a SERT tuner, and have him dial it in on the dyno using the SERT, and don't forget to get a copy of the program the tuner tweaked and installed. Most people take all the 14.5 A/F tables and change them to 14.1(make it richer) to start, and cut each the decel enrichment tables by 50%. If you have questions, ask away. There are a lot of very knowledgable people here, who use and teach this stuff, and are great people who don't mind answering questions. What I did is look at different files that people have tweaked, and soon you will see a pattern of what people did, and if it made their bike run better or not. But, the key is a good dyno tuner who is good with the SERT.

Thorns