Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Battery light came on Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 05:03 PM
06chrisFTW
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Battery light came on Help

I rode for about 80 miles andupon 10 milesprior to myarrivalto the destination, engine and battery lightsuddenly came on. when I got to the destination, turned off the engine and wait for abt 3 mins, then i tried to start her back up the battery seems weak to start up, then it runs. I charged it over night. Then the next morning, It was full powered. then about less than a mile, the engine and battery light came back on, I was like WTF?! So I cant hear if its the battery or the starter, but i dont know whats going on. My guts tells me its something that the transmission that has to do with the starter that powers up the bike, I dont know. Also, I dont know how to use the speedometer to see whats the code. Any idea would be helpful.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:29 PM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts
Default RE: Engine Battery light came on Help

Sounds like it's not charging when running. Engine electronics and headlight draining the battery.

I'd check the battery connections and the voltage regulator first.

How old is the battery? Does it charge to full voltage?

Old 04-08-2008, 06:49 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,859 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Yep, check all connections to starter, check all connections to battery, charge your battery so that you can start it, then check the regulator output to the battery, should be 14.1-14.3 volts at 2000-2500 rpm. If it's not charging, it's either the regulator or stator. Get with your dealer and see if you have any warranty left on it.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:20 PM
06chrisFTW
Intermediate

i notice that my ground wire underneth the the bolt to the risers that connects to the triple tree broke, could it be the cause that drain the battery?

Old 04-08-2008, 08:19 PM
06chrisFTW
Intermediate

i just got back from the garage. I turn on the bike, i notice first engine light normally comes on before you start it, then i wait 10 secs before i start it, during in the middle of the 10 secs, the engine comes on again then goes away same with the security light as well. I do not have security system. So i started the bike up and went with 1st gear then when i hit the 2nd, the lights comes right on. The battery is fine to me. I think it has something to do with gears or transmission.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:35 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: 06chrisFTW

i just got back from the garage. I turn on the bike, i notice first engine light normally comes on before you start it, then i wait 10 secs before i start it, during in the middle of the 10 secs, the engine comes on again then goes away same with the security light as well. I do not have security system.
Okay, this is because you have a FAULT stored.

So i started the bike up and went with 1st gear then when i hit the 2nd, the lights comes right on.

This is because the problem still exist

The battery is fine to me. I think it has something to do with gears or transmission.

Did you follow the recommendations given in the other posts? Is does have to do with the gears and transmission.

Probably, when in first your rpms were high enough to charge enough to overcome the failure mode. When you hit second gear the rpms dropped, along with the voltage and the voltage failure initiated the check engine light again.

Are you hearing any unusual noises coming from the transmission (rattling, etc.)??

First, as said check your connections, then your battery. It may be as simple as a bad cell in the battery, or could be the voltage regulator or alternator. On a 3 year old bike, I would suspect the battery first, especially since the bike hardly turns over and it seems to charge at higher rpms.
Your battery should be reading 12.5 - 13 VDC standing alone, with no load on it. Your can take it to Sears, Autozone, Advance, etc. and they will generally do a FREE test on it for you. Keep it simple

DougJ

Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

Go to this thread for the DTC info you want.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_3129658/tm.htm

Good luck,

DougJ

Old 04-09-2008, 07:24 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: 06chrisFTW

i notice that my ground wire underneth the the bolt to the risers that connects to the triple tree broke, could it be the cause that drain the battery?
Did you fix this and it still happens?

Old 04-09-2008, 07:43 AM
flynavy
Road Master

Fix the broken ground wire you discovered BEFORE you even try starting the bike again.

If the conditions still exist after repair of the broken wire, check CLOSELY all connections to the battery, starter, and regulator. If all seem tight, you may just have a battery with a bad cell - simple as that.

We all want to help you bro, but you're not answering our questions that could help - ie. how old is your battery?Did you fix the wire and it still has the same condition?

HD batteries last about 2-3 years if never charged. If you use a smart charger during extended periods of not riding, then it may last 5 or 6 years.

No matter what - this is NOT being caused by a tranny problem.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:21 AM
quig
Tourer

My sportster was doing the same thing. Connections were tight it was the alternator only 1.3 vac at the stator.

Quick Reply: Engine Battery light came on Help