Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Battery light came on Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:55 AM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine Battery light came on Help

ORIGINAL: SgtThump

ORIGINAL: 06chrisFTW

i notice that my ground wire underneth the the bolt to the risers that connects to the triple tree broke, could it be the cause that drain the battery?
Did you fix this and it still happens?
That wire is not the cause of his problems. He probably should reattach it, though.... been gonna hook mine back up for 2 years, now.

DougJ

Old 04-09-2008, 12:35 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: DougsDyna

ORIGINAL: 06chrisFTW

i just got back from the garage. I turn on the bike, i notice first engine light normally comes on before you start it, then i wait 10 secs before i start it, during in the middle of the 10 secs, the engine comes on again then goes away same with the security light as well. I do not have security system.
Okay, this is because you have a FAULT stored.

So i started the bike up and went with 1st gear then when i hit the 2nd, the lights comes right on.

This is because the problem still exist

The battery is fine to me. I think it has something to do with gears or transmission.

Did you follow the recommendations given in the other posts? Is does have to do with the gears and transmission.

Probably, when in first your rpms were high enough to charge enough to overcome the failure mode. When you hit second gear the rpms dropped, along with the voltage and the voltage failure initiated the check engine light again.

Are you hearing any unusual noises coming from the transmission (rattling, etc.)??

First, as said check your connections, then your battery. It may be as simple as a bad cell in the battery, or could be the voltage regulator or alternator. On a 3 year old bike, I would suspect the battery first, especially since the bike hardly turns over and it seems to charge at higher rpms.
Your battery should be reading 12.5 - 13 VDC standing alone, with no load on it. Your can take it to Sears, Autozone, Advance, etc. and they will generally do a FREE test on it for you. Keep it simple

as stated keep it simple GET THE BATTERY CHECKED
DougJ

Old 04-10-2008, 12:11 PM
06chrisFTW
Intermediate

I do not have any device to check the voltage regulator. I am hearing impaired, I cant hear anything. I will have the battery check out. I think i remember what happened, While i was riding and I had the throttle locked. Somehow i got cut off by some fu*kers, so I happened to react too fast and I was going abt 70 mph and I hold the clutch and the RPM went very high and I tried to unlock, it was tight as fawk, stupid me. So i finally unlock the throttle while going 70 mph, then leave the throttle alone and i lightly let the clutch go. I remember the red keylight came on during the high rpm running. So I might have damage the voltage regulator.

I took the bike out for a ride, it seems to work fine besides cant hear if the tranny or gears makin any noise. the lights still comes on duringwhen i hit the2nd gear.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:20 PM
06chrisFTW
Intermediate

got the battery checked, they said its good. could it be the voltage reg? But the headlight didnt dim

Old 04-10-2008, 08:19 PM
quig
Tourer

Get the charging system checked. Parts are too expensive to guess.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:06 AM
Wireguided
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"VOLTMETER"

Old 04-11-2008, 10:13 AM
06chrisFTW
Intermediate

took it to the harley shop, found out that the starter is bad, lucky i have the extended warranty! whew!

I'm going to buy me a voltmeter just for the future! Thanks guys!!