Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

49mm forks - all the same?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:27 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 49mm forks - all the same?

Hey hang,

I was looking at the race tech website wanting to get a set of gold valves for the street bob but their listing isn't very complete.

they do have a part number for the '06, '07 FXDL but not for the FXDB so I'm asking the fine folks here if they can tell if the two bikes share the same forks?

race tech product search website

Old 04-08-2008, 04:04 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: 49mm forks - all the same?

i know the wdg has 2 inch longer fork tubes, but iam not sure of the lowrider.email the company and ask. jackyl

Old 04-08-2008, 06:48 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the gold valves you mention are the same part as Harley refers to as the seat pipe (#46606-06), then all models are the same in 06 and 07 except the WG.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:53 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, they're all the same. Yes, the Gold Valves will fit. And, Yes, it's worth every penny - it will be a whole new bike.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:32 PM
mikedmeyer
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting. I'm curious about how they compare with progressive. A lot of people swear by progressive on this board. I looked at the price for rear shocks on racetech.com. $699! Yikes, don't think so when progressives 412s are about a third of that. The gold valves are a bit more reasonable, but still more than a set of replacement springs from progressive. Can anybody with experience with both offer a comparison? TIA.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:13 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bobcowan

Yes, they're all the same. Yes, the Gold Valves will fit. And, Yes, it's worth every penny - it will be a whole new bike.
I went to my dealer yesterday and had the parts man go through the parts book to verify the two models forks were exactly the same. It took him about ten minutes to understand what I was wanting to order and then to cross reference the lowrider and the street bob front ends. Like you say, they are the same.

I'm counting on a whole new bike when I install these valves, lord knows the one I have is a pile of dung in the handling department.

I had the chance to ride the screamin eagle dyna a couple of weeks ago. It has an inverted fork front end. I was admiring it in the showroom when the GM came up and started talking about the bike with me. I asked him if inverted forks were always cartridge forks and he didn't have any idea what I was asking him. He did convince me to take it out for a test ride and WOW! what a thrill that was. Everything about that bike was performance. Both the front and rear suspension were flawless. The engine performance was impressive but the way that bike handled really made a believer out of me.

I'm sure if he would have come down another ten grand he would have been able to sell me that shiney blue baby right then and there.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:24 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: mikedmeyer

Interesting. I'm curious about how they compare with progressive. A lot of people swear by progressive on this board. I looked at the price for rear shocks on racetech.com. $699! Yikes, don't think so when progressives 412s are about a third of that. The gold valves are a bit more reasonable, but still more than a set of replacement springs from progressive. Can anybody with experience with both offer a comparison? TIA.
Most of the people using progressive shocks are using them specifically to lower their rear end. I still haven't figured out why anyone would want to lower the rear since that would change the geometry of the bike but, to each his own. If your desire is to improve the handling performance then you have to know/learn what to look for. There are several threads about suspension upgrades and the various offerings out there. Howard, under the screen name "FastHarley" knows his stuff and you can learn much from reading his comments through a search of the website. He also has a website where he markets his products, which are the very top of the line. I believe the Ohlins shocks he sells for the dyna are $800 each.
The gold valves and the springs are two separate things that do two different jobs. The gold valves emulate a cartridge-type suspension, something that a dampening rod set of forks can't do by themselves. See some of FastHarley's comments to find his animations of the three types of front ends for a real understanding of terms and help guide you to what it is you're looking for.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:02 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member

The Race Tech emulators and the Progressive springs are actually trying to do the same thing with two different methods.The goal is to provide a plush ride to soak up bumps but still be firm enough to reduce dive while cornering and eliminate bottoming over larger bumps.Typically the emulators are installed with a straight rate spring they control the oil dampening with a spring loaded valve.The cheaper Progressive spring trys to do the same thing with a spring that is wound tighter from one end to the other. I have Race Tech front end on my other bike with .90 springs 15wt oil and the emulators it works very well but it was set up for me by a shop for my weight or at least my weight a few years ago.I didn't want to put that much work or money into the front end of a cruiser so I decided to just go with the Progressive springs and 15 wt oil on the Bob.I got my Progressives last week but have yet to install them the weathers just been too good to dissassemble the front end when I could ride.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:26 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

When you get them on (springs), it would be a service to all here if you did a compairson from someone of authority and experience who has both been there & done that. Thanks if you do it for all here..H