Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynas vs Sporster in the city

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Skaarsgard
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dynas vs Sporster in the city

I rode a sporty before my FXD. I honestly didn't feel a height difference until I jumped back on the sporty. The Sporty definitely felt higher. As for handling, they felt about the same although the Dynas are slightly wider (or so it feels). Definitely more kick to the Dyna though. All in all, I'm happy with my Dyna so if price isn't an issue then I'd suggest that. You can city ride just as well. My brothers ride A nightster and a VROD and I can keep up with both of them.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:32 PM
roadkill0000
Cruiser

I guess this is my last question then

for city riding, how much of an advantage does the low rider have over the dyna custom?

I heard that the low rider's pipes are lower to the ground so its less annoying in traffic. Also that on the low rider its the most comfortable for stopping because its the easiest to place your feet on the ground. Im not sure if there are any others then that

^ is the above true and if so how dramatic is the difference?

Old 04-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Elvis
Tourer

I've had both and if you a going to 2up at all, you need the Dyna. I now have a Super Glide Custom and in stop-and-go traffic I never noticed it being tiring. It is closer to the ground than the Sporty. As far as the location of the pipes, I have the Vance & Hines Big Shots and when you are right next to a someone it's loud and echos off the car. As others have said, ride them all and then decide...

Old 04-08-2008, 07:56 PM
spark1707
Cruiser

I also do alot of city riding. My FXD is fine in traffic. Easy to handle.
Not saying the Sporty is a bad bike, just that I don't see any issues with the Dyna in city traffic.
My son traded in his Sportster for a Dyna because of 2 up and highway riding.
He also rides the Dyna in the city and he's 5'5". No issues.

The FXDL is 1" lower than the FXD.
Get an aftermarket seat and that should lower you a bit more compared to any Dynastock seat.

Stock pipes on theentire Dyna series are pretty quiet.Too quiet IMO.

Best bet is to take a Dyna out for a test drive.

Good Luck!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:04 PM
SilentWarrior
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you get a Sportster 6 months later you'll wish you got a Dyna. But I am a little bias toward dynas thats why I hang out here. My wife spent months thinking the same way as you about getting a Sportster. She recently bought and 08 Superglide and hasnt looked back.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:08 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its about 6 of one and half a dozen of the other , there both good bikes I have owned both , the sportster is a great bike , but to me the dyna is smoother I dont know any other way to desribe it . seat heigth has never been an issue for me on any bike except the buell xb12 you need to be an nba player to touch the ground. one more thing why are you so obssesed with the muffler heigth and being annoying in traffic . you could mount the mufflers on top of the bike and they wont be obnoxious until you slap on some loud *** drag pipes or yank the baffles out.
if you plan on riding two up I would say go dyna , super glides are a damn good value , if not test ride both the sporty and dyna and then decide for your self .
good luck and post some pics when you buy a bike.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Dyna Don
Advanced

If you leave the stock pipes on I don't think it would matter.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Manu
Advanced

You really should set on the different dynas you're considering. I good sales person will hold the bike so you can put both feet up and get a feel for the fit. good luck shopping and welocome to the family you will love it

Old 03-17-2010, 09:12 AM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by roadkill0000
I guess this is my last question then

for city riding, how much of an advantage does the low rider have over the dyna custom?

I heard that the low rider's pipes are lower to the ground so its less annoying in traffic. Also that on the low rider its the most comfortable for stopping because its the easiest to place your feet on the ground. Im not sure if there are any others then that

^ is the above true and if so how dramatic is the difference?
I wouldn't worry about the pipes. The stock pipes a=on all of the Dynas are quiet. If you buy used and someone has upgraded the pipes it may make a difference, but i really would not even consider that in the equation.

BTW I have a Street Bob and ride in city trafic to work when the weather is nice and i have no problems manuvering around on the Bob.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 99XLCH and it was a great city bike. I didnt care for the HWY trips with it. My SB is just as agile in the city and GREAT on long trips. If you plan on 2 up riding, The Dyna wins hands down. Bigger,comfort,fuel capasity,6 speed,etc. IMO.

Quick Reply: Dynas vs Sporster in the city