Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderheader Installed (Fat Bob)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 11:28 PM
stagolee
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunderheader Installed (Fat Bob)

Quick update:

There have always been reports about two key flaws in the design of the PC III.

1) Slow Start issues (if you wait past the 4 second fuel injection light)

2) It can break the 6th gear light.

Neither issue shows up for me. I tried starting up several ways.
- Starting immediately after the 4 second light.
- Waiting out several additional seconds (10+, 20+, etc.)
- Starting before the 4 second light goes off.

In every case the bike started exactly as I expected, and exactly as it has from the factory.

And the 6th gear light works as expected.

--

6th gear seems a little rougher with the new mods than it did as a stock bike. I doesn't bother me, but it's noticeable. I suspect it's the product of more top end power. The engine is going places that the stock exhaust wouldn't let it go.

Heat: The bike is running waaay less lean which is demonstrated through less heat being thrown off. It's a noticeable difference. I deliberately rode without leather today so I could feel any heat and it was completely bearable. This is the opposite of the stock setup.

Fuel Mileage: I'm getting less MPG. But then I also can't stay off the throttle now.

Car Alarms: Why do all these parked cars keep chirping at me?

Old 04-05-2008, 11:35 PM
CSA
Road Master

Very Nice!

Old 04-05-2008, 11:39 PM
stagolee
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Gilly

I'm a bit of a Harley newbie, I've never seen those pipes before, look really different. Definitely I'll keep those in mind. Pretty pricey though, I checked that out. I'd need something not "too" loud, because of my early ride to work, are they very loud?? I found Thunderhead on Youtube on a Sporty, but of course you can't judge how loud it would be on something like that, but had a real interesting burbling sorta tone to it that I liked.
I probably won't be doing anything to the bike this year except a seat and backrest, but next year possibly I'll put on pipes like these, the SE aircleaner and SERT.
Gilly
Gilly, the Thunderheader is produced by the Hells Angels. The company (Rich Products) is wholly owned by the HA.

The pipe is designed for performance, looks are secondary. Some people complain about the quality of the chroming, and the quality of the welds, some say the quality of the heat shields is inconsistent, but no one can dispute the way it takes full advantage of any engine you mount it on. From stock to big bore work, the Thunderheader may be the only pipe you ever need.

These are the pipes of choice on the streets of Oakland (where we have to compete with Whistle Tips, Suction Tips and heavy bass).

This pipe sits squarely in the top class of 2:1 exhausts (V&H Pro Pipes are also in that top class. And Bassani)

It's loud - so loud that some cities have 'ticket on sight' policies. Even though there are louder pipes (Side Shots, for example) the Thunderheader is more recognizable and therefore singled out for more consistent attention from LEO. There's an urban legend that the San Francisco PD distributed a picture of the pipe to all officers and instructed them to crack down on riders who sport them. I may get a chance to verify that urban legend in the near future.

But the volume isn't necessarily obnoxious. It can be, of course. But it doesn't have to be. Well... yes it does. Heh.

When I do my video capture (maybe tomorrow morn) I'll run from idle to open, in stages, so you can see for yourself.

Prices: The best prices to be had on TH are on eBay.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:57 AM
Gilly
Road Captain

YEAH that helps. I like the looks, but probably can't do it (even though looks are secondary, I just like the different shape to them). I'll keep my eyes open for a set at a bike night or something, or ask some HD friends if they've ever heard them. I just am not gonna run something that's just barely quieter than a set of drag pipes. Sometimes I don't mind hearing Harleys runnin drag pipes or super loud pipes, but most of the time it just really bothers me that guys think the bike has to be THAT loud.
See if I understand though, lets say on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being drag pipes (straight pipes), and 1 being just a normal stock Harley exhaust, these things are like a 9? Or only loud of you really hammer on the bike hard?
The chrome quality, eh doesn't concern me too much, I was thinking of balck with chrome heat shields anyways.
Interesting Hells Angels own the company??? I have to support the Big Red Machine? As long as some Diablo or whatever doesn't kill me for having them i guess I don't care!
Gilly

Old 04-06-2008, 05:53 AM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How hot are they wo heat shields? I was thinking of getting some like yours, not ordering heat shields and preping and painting high temp black. Hell I never had heat shields on any other HD, and I put the PCIII on mine as well and it cooled it down great, I think I dont need heat shields.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:41 AM
fastfxrs
Cruiser

Thunderheader looks great with the lines of the fatbob. I miss the one I had on my old FXR. My wife said my dog used to perk up his ears and sit by the door when he heard me coming home. He could here me about 3 miles away. Loud pipe- especially with cam and high comp. pistons. Totally different sound than same pipe with stock cam. Have fun.
Tim

Old 04-06-2008, 09:29 AM
stagolee
Road Master

ORIGINAL: fastfxrs

Thunderheader looks great with the lines of the fatbob. I miss the one I had on my old FXR. My wife said my dog used to perk up his ears and sit by the door when he heard me coming home. He could here me about 3 miles away. Loud pipe- especially with cam and high comp. pistons. Totally different sound than same pipe with stock cam. Have fun.
Tim
Yeah, no joke. A guy I know upgraded his cams and had his heads ported.

The sound is deep and rich.

I'll get there shortly.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:33 AM
stagolee
Road Master

ORIGINAL: arnold

How hot are they wo heat shields? I was thinking of getting some like yours, not ordering heat shields and preping and painting high temp black. Hell I never had heat shields on any other HD, and I put the PCIII on mine as well and it cooled it down great, I think I dont need heat shields.
Hot but not unbearable. In my non-leather pants I couldn't detect heat dissipation at all. I'll pay more attention today and get back to you.

Re: the black powdercoating that Thunderheader does... I've seen some black pipes (no heat shields) that show spotting and purpling at the bends (the same places that my pipes are discolored). One rider told me that he only had 6000 miles on his pipes and the spotting was evident.

Another rider has 10,000 on her pipes and if there's spotting the heat shields hide it perfectly.

The inconsistency in the quality of the powdercoating is what sent me towards the chrome.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:39 AM
stagolee
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Gilly

YEAH that helps. I like the looks, but probably can't do it (even though looks are secondary, I just like the different shape to them). I'll keep my eyes open for a set at a bike night or something, or ask some HD friends if they've ever heard them. I just am not gonna run something that's just barely quieter than a set of drag pipes. Sometimes I don't mind hearing Harleys runnin drag pipes or super loud pipes, but most of the time it just really bothers me that guys think the bike has to be THAT loud.
See if I understand though, lets say on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being drag pipes (straight pipes), and 1 being just a normal stock Harley exhaust, these things are like a 9? Or only loud of you really hammer on the bike hard?
The chrome quality, eh doesn't concern me too much, I was thinking of balck with chrome heat shields anyways.
Interesting Hells Angels own the company??? I have to support the Big Red Machine? As long as some Diablo or whatever doesn't kill me for having them i guess I don't care!
Gilly
Hmm... yeah, I'd say TH is 8.5-9.0 in relation to straight pipes.

Let's keep in mind that Side Shots with the loud baffles go to 11.

--

As for HA/Thunderheader and their rivals. Drown out the haters with with sound of your pipes.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Gilly
Road Captain

OK, well thanks! I'll have time to decide which way to go. Hopefully since I know what they are now I can hear them sometime this riding season. Or I know guys that have been around HDs for awhile and I can see what the reaction is if I mention Thunderheader. I'm running an aftermarket slip-on on my Beemer and it's in no way quiet either, but the Beemer has a, hmmmm, "less thumping" engine noise to it, not like a Harley at all. It's loud, but not like an HD that'll rattle windows. (I'd describe it as similar to one of these asian cars with the big coffee-can looking muffler on it, or maybe like a race ferrari sort of noise? I hate those coffee can mufflers by the way, but I best not throw any stones I guess)
What about just at idle or if you drive it nice and easy, is it any better then? That's what I do with the Beemer, just drive it nice in town and it's not bad. If you drive it on city streets and leave it in 3rd, yeah it's pretty obnoxious. With all that type of description, can Iput ona Thunderheader, drive it sanely around town and not get nasty looks and attract John Law?
In regards to my Beemer, I was going out to my sister and bro in laws farm on a quiet sunny Sunday morning, my bro was there waiting for me with some other guys for a ride out. One of the guys waiting thought he heard like an airplane buzzing around, and my bro said no it was me with my Beemer, and sure as hell, he said just kept getting louder, it was me.......Said he heard me coming for 3-5 minutesbefore I got there. My wife says that in the morning she can hear me for a few minutes after I leave. But I do like the Harley sound of course, but to me the super loud straight pipe noise just drives me up the wall.
They'd probably laugh at me if I asked if there was a way to tone it down a little? But again if I can drive it in a higher gear and keep the revs down, maybe it'd work. I'd like it queiter than my Beemer (or comperable), not louder.
Gilly

Quick Reply: Thunderheader Installed (Fat Bob)