Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:18 PM
LowRider08
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning the bike?

I know that you should not spray water on a hot motor but what else should I be careful of when washing the bike? I keep wiping her down each daybut it's about time for a real wash, after 1 week. Do I need to keep water off certain engine components, spark plugs, air cleaner etc...

Scott

Old 04-04-2008, 08:25 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: cleaning the bike?

Here is how I do it. I have an open air filter so I cover it with a plastic bag. I always start with a COOL bike. I spray the bike with water to get it wet. I am careful not to over wet areas that really don't need to be soaked like the switch housings and dash areas. It would probably be fine to wet them more than I do but I ahve read of a lot of problems with these specific areas getting soaked. I then spray S100 total cycle cleaner or simple green (whichever is handy) all over the bike. I use a paint brush to spread the cleaner all over the hard to reach aprts and in between the engine fins etc. I then rinse off the bike THOROUGHLY. Do it twice if you aren't sure if you got a part of it. If I have a lot of time and energy I will get out the chamois and air compressor. I chamois down the bike and then use compressed air to get to all the hard to reach places and dry it. Then I will use some type of polish on it with microfiber towels. If I am feeling lazy I ride it around the block a few times and hit it with microfibers and a bit of polish. It all depends on how **** you are. A lot of people use leaf blowers to dry it off as well. My leaf blower died. I am yet to replace it.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:27 PM
NHHog
Tourer

I just put the hose on a mist and use plenty of suds. A little spray detailer on the paint and polish the chrome. Then ride and get it all dirty again[X(] Forgot the leaf blower part!

Old 04-04-2008, 08:27 PM
jimw411
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My method it spraying everything but the tins with highly concentrated simple green, and then i hose it all down to get the first layer of grime off. I then scrub as good as i can with a wheel brush for the car, everything but the tins with dish soap. Then i take the wash mitt for the car and use cash wash soap all over the rest of the bike. I hose it all down, and then fire up the air compressor with a blow nozzle and blow off all the engine and handle bar stuff and work my way to the tins, and when i get most of the water off, i use the drying cloth for the car (i use the absorber). then i get to work detailing, waxing, chrome polish etc.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:31 PM
LowRider08
Advanced

ORIGINAL: jimw411

My method it spraying everything but the tins with highly concentrated simple green, and then i hose it all down to get the first layer of grime off. I then scrub as good as i can with a wheel brush for the car, everything but the tins with dish soap. Then i take the wash mitt for the car and use cash wash soap all over the rest of the bike. I hose it all down, and then fire up the air compressor with a blow nozzle and blow off all the engine and handle bar stuff and work my way to the tins, and when i get most of the water off, i use the drying cloth for the car (i use the absorber). then i get to work detailing, waxing, chrome polish etc.
Thanks for the quick responses.

Jim, forgive my ignorance, what are tins? I assume you meen the gas tank and fenders right?

Old 04-04-2008, 08:32 PM
ss377
Road Captain

Do you ride in the rain? I would not spray water on a HOT motor, but I would on a very warm one. But washing a hot bike would probably do you more harm than the bike. Extra effort to remove dried water spots, etc. I made a mixture of car wash soap and water in a spray bottle and soap down the bike first. Then take a wash mitten in a bucket of car wash solution and wash the bike. Then rinse off with a hose. I try to avoid spraying the seat because it gets water logged thru the seams and gives me a wet butt afterward. I use a leaf blower to blow excess water off, especially the electrics like the turn signals, on/run, start, dim/bright buttons, and the starter. Wipe off any remaining water with a micro fiber towel. Terry cloth, shop rags and T shirts can scratch clear coat. I have ridden in frog stranglers with a hot engine and no damage yet after 30,000 miles.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:04 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

I pretty much do like everyone else - wash it cold and use a leaf blower to get the water out of nicks and crannys. I would use an air compressor if I had one. Wife hint....

I avoid spraying the electrical box and the carb, but everything else gets washed down. I use a nylon brush from the kitchen that used to be for dishes...I asked first though

Never tried simple green, will have to do that. Hope it gets black crinkle paint clean 'cause mine looks like crap...I hate crinkle paint.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:18 PM
glock_556
Cruiser

What are "tins"?

Old 04-04-2008, 09:35 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr Clean Car Wash System and a soft brush. With it's spot free rinse it rocks. Between washes I mist with water, chamois dry, Wizard's Mist & Shine (greatest stuff ever) looks brand new.

[IMG]local://upfiles/52705/F159A11FBF8044CD947F8F869D60820A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-04-2008, 09:36 PM
fr21555
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, here's my 2 cents...

I'll state in advance I'm prety picky about how my bike looks and really enjoy cleaning/detailing it as long as I have enough time and beer to do so.

I usually wash bike after a ride but let it cool down for 30-45 minutes and thenhit the motor's black paint with S100 Engine Brite to make the black paint shine. It will get on the rockers and other chrome parts but they will get cleaned later. Next step is a wetting down of the bike with the hose (avoiding elec. areas and air cleaneras much as possible) and thenspraying acleaner (like S100 or Simple Green, or the one I use, which is secret) over the bike.

Rinse very well, then do it again 'cause it's never rinsed as well as you thought the first time. This will prevent spotting, as S100 can do if not rinsed very well. While rinsing, use your hand to rub the paint, you'll feel when the cleaner is rinsed off. I use the aforementioned leaf blower method to dry the bike, compressed air does fine too. AVOID hitting your wheel bearings, you can blow grease right out of them with high pressure air!

Wax bike (I like Meguiar's or Mother's) appliedwith a microfiber towel or sponge (not terry cloth-it will make swirl marks in your paint). Buff with another, clean micro towel. Final step is to use a detailer/sealer like Meguiar's Final Inspection and wipe dry. This also works very well on chrome parts and can be used for touch-ups between washings. A good glass cleaner will also work very well on your chrome parts.

Quick Reply: cleaning the bike?