Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:54 PM
ak602
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cleaning the bike?

"TINS" are the painted metal surfaces, Tank, fenders

When my bike is being washed, I hose it down, soak it with simple green, dry it with the bike blower my wife bought me. The I either hit it with some pledge or wax her up.

And YES - PLEDGE works awesome. Very AWESOME.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:08 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man you can tell summer coming another how to wash a bike, wave threads will follow dude, wash like you would your car or trk or bicycle these things aren~t rocket science use some common sence

Old 04-04-2008, 10:32 PM
dynasty
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everyone is right - i wipe mine constantly but every once in a while it does need a good washing. i have two cleaners. one for regular cleaning. simple green is good and there are others on the market. i dilute according to directions and that's my regular cleaner. wet bike, less moisture sensitive parts, spray cleaner, agitate with brush, rinse. for heavier soiled areas like partso f engine ot the bottom of bike, i mix degreaser 4 parts to one part ammonia. s[pray on dirty areas, agitate and rinse. i use wax or a detaining spray when drying to eliminate water spots and keep her shiney.

kwater sensitive part would include but not neccessarily be limited to dash, lights, ALL switches, air cleaner, wire plugs/connections - you get the picture.

i do use a leaf blower but i also take her for a spin around the block. the down side to riding to dry is that the brakes don't work that good.

good luck with it...

Old 04-05-2008, 05:21 AM
C-Cat
Tourer

rinse down good, but only a small amount on switch housing from experience. i uselots ofgood soap and do the paint, chrome, and other parts and do inbetween the spokes front and back. rinse off good, dry with chamois or micro-fiber, then leaf blower. most of the time i use ice detailer and when i have time use ice wax on the painted parts. what i like about the ice detailer i use it on the wrinkle black parts, chrome, basically the whole entire bike, then a little tire detailer. i bought the ice kit from an infomercial on tv. i had some stuff for the black parts, and armour all, chrome polish, but i think the ice is quicker easier and works as good as the other products. the best thing about ice it's clear and you don't have to wipe white wax out of every nook and cranny on the bike, car or whatever your waxing.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:33 AM
LowRider08
Advanced

ORIGINAL: wideglidebob

man you can tell summer coming another how to wash a bike, wave threads will follow dude, wash like you would your car or trk or bicycle these things aren~t rocket science use some common sence
: )

Thanks for the input everyone. Very helpfull.

Scott

Old 04-05-2008, 06:42 AM
jnogreen
Cruiser

http://www.hawg-wash.com/detailinghog.html

Great website

Old 04-05-2008, 06:44 AM
BLade1127
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be a little different here. I too use Simple Green, but I do not spray water on the bike first. I soak it in Simple Green, apply some bug remover all over the front facing part, then hose it all off with my pressure washer. Then I use my leaf blower to dry it all. I've never had to touch it with a rag. All parts, wrinkle black, chrome, the frame, the undercarriage, all look brand new. I some times have to use a microfiber towel to polish up the water spots on the rims and exhaust.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:06 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

again common sence, if your car engine over heats do you poor cold water on it?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:37 AM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: LowRider08

I know that you should not spray water on a hot motor but what else should I be careful of when washing the bike? I keep wiping her down each daybut it's about time for a real wash, after 1 week. Do I need to keep water off certain engine components, spark plugs, air cleaner etc...

Scott
Probably not a good idea to wipe it down between washes. Causes lots of tiny scratches.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:55 AM
FXDB
Advanced

Mr Clean soft water is the best, it has a soft spray.I use it from start to finish with a little Mequiars soap. No water spots, but I dry with micro fiber cloth anyway. Be careful with Simple Green it somewhat corrosive. My 2 cents.

Quick Reply: cleaning the bike?