Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My day at the dealership

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:20 AM
rbtwhiz
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My day at the dealership

... or perhaps a take-off bracket from an '06 FXDBI (49216-06). https://www.hdforums.com/m_3126545/tm.htm

Sorry to hear about your day, Scooter. Hmmm... last I checked, the package was in 'Earth City, Missouri.' Misery? Coincidence?

-(unnamed)

Old 04-04-2008, 01:50 AM
Skaarsgard
Cruiser

Ouch. Yeah I've been there. About 6 months ago, my FXD was in a wreck. First the adjustor seemed to be just jerkin me around and didn't call the dealership for almost 3 months after they sent in the estimate. So when we finally got that going, I go in and start picking out replacement parts for the stuff I wanted. Worst experience I ever had with HD. The parts guy didn't seem to know what would fit. The service guys kept trying to charge me extra for stuff they already included in the estimate (it was a whole frame switch) and a few other stuff. At the end of it all, I get a call from their service manager saying I still owe them 50$ more because he took off a part on the estimate that was needed and I never signed off on (it was a shift lever). So after some arguing and having called the bureau of automotive repair, they backed down and I finally got my bike back. Frustrating.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:17 AM
LowRider08
Advanced

Tough day! Hopefully after all that, you made it home before the rains came. I got caught in it hitting Al's for lunch and then worked later than I wanted to because it was raining again later that day.

Scott

Old 04-04-2008, 06:49 AM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a frustrating day wench....sorry to hear it.

I had a day like that at a dealership - ONCE.

Can I make a suggestion? Get a manual, a simple set of tools, and do this stuff yourself. I'm sorry and I really don't mean any offense at all here, just really coming from a place where I am trying to help a fellow rider.

I can't believe you were going to pay HD to replace headlight bulbs, when you can obviously install a new plate holder (well, sort of - you would have if not for the distraction). It isn't any more complex - one or two screws, twist and remove one bulb -lefty, twist and install new bulb - righty.

I'm guessing that your state MV laws likely specify guidelines for directional indicators, that the ones with the mirrors didn't meet. That happens. I downloaded my State's MV regs for motorcycles, and refer to it before I perform any mod. The last thing you want to do is work hard installing a shiny new mod, only to have it fail inspection come sticker time, and you have to labor again to remove it.

The only thing I allow my HD dealer to do now is fluid changes. I have no facility for that and/or materials disposal. It seemed like everytime i took my bike to a dealer for "something" it was going to end up costing more, and needing more. It's all about the dollars.

DIY baby!!

Old 04-04-2008, 07:00 AM
Scooter Wench
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: OSP1340

Did they explain why you had to keep the other turn signals? Why do you need both?
I didn't ask but I think it might be a regulatory thing. He was showing me in the instructions that it said the mirrors weren't intended to replace regular indicators but to supplement them. I'll call back today and ask as I know of some others here on the forum who were thinking about them. I was looking on the HD site and in the picture it shows them mounted with no turn signal indicators underneath so I'm not sure what the deal is. I'll let you know when I find out.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Scooter Wench
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: cou9ar

hey wench, the left side bracket you speak of, is that something the (unamed) member made? bought? maybe got a part # or perhaps the saw blade he used to create it out of the left hand support footrest part# 49230-06???.........?
cougar,

See Rbtwhiz's post below. He was the one I got it from. My other alternative was to have someone I know saw the mounting bracket off but I'd rather not do that as they are $80 a pair to replace and I may still have need of them down the road.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Scooter Wench
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: DougsDyna

Hey Wench, I gotta a tag and frame I'll sell ya[sm=joke.gif]
All in all, didn't sound like to bad a day......... You saved money on the mirrors you didn't buy, got a 10% discount, didn't have to spend money for the bulbs, got a brand new shiney tag, got fed, got some nice shiney plugs and removed the rear peg, and nobody ran over you on the scoot.
Definitely sounds like one of my better days

Autozone should have your brighter bulbs.

DougJ
LOL you're a glass half full kind of guy aren't you?

Autozone? Seriously? I'll check into it.

(And if that is one of your better days I'd hate to hear your worst!)

I'm actually thinking of moving my tag over to a side mount anyway so I probably wouldn't have had use for the frame anyway but I couldn't have probably at least sold it. I was pretty nice looking. Oh well.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Scooter Wench
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: LowRider08

Tough day! Hopefully after all that, you made it home before the rains came. I got caught in it hitting Al's for lunch and then worked later than I wanted to because it was raining again later that day.

Scott
The lightning was really popping around here! It's a little early for our usual afternoon thunderstorms don't ya think????

Old 04-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Scooter Wench
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: flynavy

Sounds like a frustrating day wench....sorry to hear it.

I had a day like that at a dealership - ONCE.

Can I make a suggestion? Get a manual, a simple set of tools, and do this stuff yourself. I'm sorry and I really don't mean any offense at all here, just really coming from a place where I am trying to help a fellow rider.

I can't believe you were going to pay HD to replace headlight bulbs, when you can obviously install a new plate holder (well, sort of - you would have if not for the distraction). It isn't any more complex - one or two screws, twist and remove one bulb -lefty, twist and install new bulb - righty.

I'm guessing that your state MV laws likely specify guidelines for directional indicators, that the ones with the mirrors didn't meet. That happens. I downloaded my State's MV regs for motorcycles, and refer to it before I perform any mod. The last thing you want to do is work hard installing a shiny new mod, only to have it fail inspection come sticker time, and you have to labor again to remove it.

The only thing I allow my HD dealer to do now is fluid changes. I have no facility for that and/or materials disposal. It seemed like everytime i took my bike to a dealer for "something" it was going to end up costing more, and needing more. It's all about the dollars.

DIY baby!!
Knowing me I will eventually do just that and probably would have if I hadn't planned on being at the dealership anyway. I figured I would just let them do it. They (the dealers) should offer some DIY courses for basic stuff like that, but that would result in them losing money so you know that's not going to happen. I would love to learn how to wrench on my bike (more serious stuff than changing seats, light bulbs, or tags LOL) but I'd be afraid I'd damage something! I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. Was always the one who could fix the big office copier machines LOL. When I get my belt guard bracket I plan on doing that myself. Now when I finally get around to doing the race tuner and/or boring it out I will leave that to the professionals. We actually have a really good independent mechanic around here that does quality work for a lot less than the dealership. Might take it there as long as it doesn't void my warranty.

Fortunately, here in FL they don't have inspections anymore so at least I don't have to worry about that! I know the cops will sometimes harrass you about handlebar height and pipe loudness, also knew someone who got stopped for a side mounted tag but I think those a few and far between.

And no offense taken about the DIY stuff. For certain things it only makes sense to do it that way.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Scooter Wench
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: rbtwhiz

... or perhaps a take-off bracket from an '06 FXDBI (49216-06). https://www.hdforums.com/m_3126545/tm.htm

Sorry to hear about your day, Scooter. Hmmm... last I checked, the package was in 'Earth City, Missouri.' Misery? Coincidence?

-(unnamed)
LOL, thanks unnamed!

Yeah, it's supposed to be here on the 7th! I can't wait! Once I get the peg off then I'm going to take new pictures.

Thanks again for your help!

Quick Reply: My day at the dealership