Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ride of Street Bob (Last bike was a Busa)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 01:52 AM
Surly
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First ride of Street Bob (Last bike was a Busa)

Despite having already ordered one, I took a test ride on a Street Bob demo this morning.

What a culture shock after the Busa.

Lots of lazy low end power, lots of vibration, embarassingly quiet on the stock pipes, a much smaller feel than I expected and a lighter feel than the weight would indicate. Is this really 88 cubes and 660 pounds...

I am 5'10" and found that my legs were just sort of sitting on the mid controls rather than taking any weight or really doing anything. My bum felt a little too close to the controls I guess. I would like to try one with forward controls for comparison.

The braking and handling were better than I expected or remembered of my friends 2002ish Wide Glide. The gearbox was much nicer with a smooth action and light clutch over the Wide Glide. I was surprised by the way the bike got to speed without feeling like it had accelerated hard at all.

While riding I was thinking this needs to go an inch or two that way and that bit over there the other way etc which is not really a problem with so customisable a bike versus a sportsbike where what you get is what you get.

It was only a quick 10 minute ride but it brought back the pure fun of a bike (any bike) after 2 years without one.

I need to spend more time in the accessory catalogue planning....and waiting till April for mine

cheers
Surly

Old 02-08-2006, 02:01 AM
Original Junior
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First ride of Street Bob (Last bike was a Busa)

Get forward controls and it'll feel much better. I'm 6'1" and I needed the forwards. It's a great bike for the price. Get some SE slip ons before you can't anymore (dealers won't be selling them after July 06, so I'm told). They are much louder. Fairly easy and cheap way to get some noise & rumble.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:13 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Original Junior

Get some SE slip ons before you can't anymore (dealers won't be selling them after July 06, so I'm told).

That's news to me..any idea why?

Todd

Old 02-08-2006, 08:54 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

EPA pressure on the MOCO.......aftermarket will take up the slack.

joe

Old 02-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Adrenaman
Advanced

I didnt get to test ride my Bob before I bought it. I can say from the moment I rode away from the dealer I knew I had made the right choice. I love the fit and finish and the ride is awesome. My last bike I had was back in 1995. It was a BMW K75. It was a nice bike but in a totally different way. The Street Bob is a real joy to ride. I wouldnt trade it for anything. Ive since added almost all of the Skull series stuff and the SEII slip ons. I also have the SE a/c but havent put it on yet. I plan on getting the DL this weekend. The stock slipons just didnt cut it for me. The SEIIs really wake up the bike. They make it sound like a Harley and look good aswell. So far Ive got almost 400 miles on it. Ive taken it on a 200 mile highway trip and it was a good ride, altho a windshield would have been nice. I know you will be happy with your Bob like I am.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:10 PM
johnpiech
Cruiser

I am expecting delivery of my FXDI 35 within one week, coming from an Aprilia SL1000 Falco. The harley is for going far, the Aprilia for fast.
Welcome

Old 02-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Stucarius
Cruiser

Get those forard controls right off. Makes all the difference in the world for the Bob.