Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Dyna Super Glide Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:06 PM
simsjam
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 07 Dyna Super Glide Handlebars

if you go with 4" risers with pull back it will change your speedo position to almost stand straight up so you'll have to change the mount for the speedo. I went a different direction and used the riser/speedo mount from at 03 and up XL Custom. It was all plug and play and I did it in one afternoon. It gives the same result as 4" pull back risers AND gets the speedo in a decent position.My riding position ismore comfortable but I would still like it to go back a bit further.This will not work with a tank lift due to clearance issues. Either option is at the limit of the stock wires and cables.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:02 AM
vermonter16
Advanced

Thanks all. I just think that I have to lean forward a little too much with the stock bars. I also want to change my seat out but I don't necessarily want to move too much closer since I am 5'10 with mid controls and I like the mid controls. Not sure which I should do first.... At any rate - you guys have some good ideas. The only reason I don't like the risers is because I do not want to change the speedo or tach that I'm going to be having installed in a few weeks. Which is why I was thinking of changing out the handlebars at the same time...not sure how much that will run me and I'm going to be running a bit low in $$$ if I want to do the seat and the handlebars... Did I mention pipes too

Old 04-02-2008, 09:38 AM
songsmith
Cruiser

Just to make sure I am reading this right.

An 07 FXD can take the 4 inch pullback risers without changing cables or anything??? I just have to be very sure before trying anything.

How about the mini apes you guys speak of. New cables needed for that or new brake line?

Thanks

Tom

Old 04-02-2008, 09:56 AM
rayfinseats
Road Captain

9" mini apes, (from wide glide) if you have buckhorn bars yes you need longer cables. 4 1/2 pull back risers, all cables will reach on my 06 Superglide. I have 8 sets of handlebars...best way is to measure with a piece of twine or something

Old 04-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Travlinman314
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an 07 FXD, wasn't sure of what bars I wanted, but I needed to get rid of the original buckhorns, it kinda made my arms and elbows go into my side, (maybe that's just me, but they were very uncomfortable, especiallyon all day rides).

Anyway, got a set of mini apes at a flea market for $25, put them on using all the original cables to see if I liked them first.
Granted, I had to bend the brake line, and throttle cables and clutch cable were super tight, but it worked enough to see if I liked the bars.

After about 150 miles, got home, ordered SS cables, brake, clutch and throttle.

The mini apes are soo much more comfortable...

Total job with new SS Braided cables, new bars (flea market) and new ISO grips was about $250 and aboutsix to seven hours of work, spread out over the weekend. I'm sure some could do it faster, but this was the first time changing out all of the cables, and it was much easier than it looks and sounds.

There are threads on this site that are very detail, as the clutch and throttle are explained well in the Dyna service manual, the brake line changeout was better explained on this site.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:08 AM
songsmith
Cruiser

Sorry to be so slow and dense but must ask again.

Will an 07 Superglide take 4 inch risers withouth having or needing to replace the cables? If so I am going to do so and if not I will wait til winter.

Thanks

Tom

Old 04-02-2008, 12:14 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: songsmith

Sorry to be so slow and dense but must ask again.

Will an 07 Superglide take 4 inch risers withouth having or needing to replace the cables? If so I am going to do so and if not I will wait til winter.

Thanks

Tom
It'll work.
The only thing you need is a towel to cover the tank so you dont scratch the paint.
Takes about 20 minutes, and that includes loosening the front brake hose clamp and relieving stress on the hose.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:23 AM
vermonter16
Advanced

How do you know what handlebars will my FXD and which ones won't. I was browsing in the HD catalogue and there are hardly any that supposedly fit the FXD. I see lots of folks who put mini apes on but in the book it doesn't say that they fit my bike...not that I'm actually looking for mini apes...

Old 04-06-2008, 10:55 AM
cadore
Cruiser

The reason they dont list it as fitting your bike is because it is not a direct replacement. You have to change all the cables to make Apes work on an FXD. Any handlebar will fit, you just might have to change cables, risers, move signal lights, change the speedo etc..... I purchased everything to make the change to mini Apes, then changed my mind, now I'm considering it again...toss up b/w apes and drag bars. Argh Decisions

Old 04-07-2008, 12:11 AM
rayfinseats
Road Captain

I swapped out mydyna wide glidemini apeswith lowrider bars and 4 1/2" pull back risers the other day. Went back to original cables. I got used to them last weekend. I had a hell of a time finding a speedo bracket that didn't point straight up in the air. I finally found a billet flat one and drilled out the back to accept the idiot lites.I will post pics soon.

Quick Reply: 07 Dyna Super Glide Handlebars