Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PM 6 piston calipers on 08 Street Bob - No go!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008 | 10:52 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default RE: PM 6 piston calipers on 08 Street Bob - No go!!!

Here is the deal. You can not mix and match the lowers on a Dyna unless you do the following:
[ul][*]If you buy fat bob lowers and use the mid-glide trees, it will require machining the calipers/lowers. Not a good option.[*]You can not use a Dyna stanchion (fork) tube than use a V-Rod Flute (Seat Pipe, #46635-07) as it is shorter (see photo).[*]You can not use a Dyna (stock) Flute (Seat Pipe, #46618-06) with a V-Rod lower as the V-Rod is 6 mm and the Dyna has a 12 mm socket bolt (#46614-06). This goes in the bottom of the V-Rod lower and connects to the Dyna (stock) Flute (Seat Pipe, #46618-06). Modifying the V-Rod lower is impractical and IMO unsafe as there is not enough material to modify it.[*]Our solution is making the internal suspension and while we are at it, put in a form of emulator and change the spring rate to one that is comparable to the owners weight and riding style. We are in there so why not do the work to improve the ride. We will also design & make a complete cartridge system (X-Factor) for this conversion. I have done the research, made the drawings, and today I will build the prototype.[*]Jay Risk and hopefully Mudd will install them on their bikes for testing & be good enough to give a truthful evaluation such as improved stopping distance and ride quality. That is up to them to post and take their time to do this and compose for your information.[*]This cost me $108.00 to view this (+ screws + spring et al.) and have the flutes to shoot this photo. Special order only.
[/ul]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/D3B70B5571E14F218D310EDC07A782AC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-02-2008 | 06:47 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,113 Likes on 2,120 Posts

ORIGINAL: FastHarley

Here is the deal. You can not mix and match the lowers on a Dyna unless you do the following:

If you buy fat bob lowers and use the mid-glide trees, it will require machining the calipers/lowers.
Not a good option.
You can not use a Dyna stanchion (fork) tube
than use a V-Rod Flute (Seat Pipe, #46635-07) as it is shorter (see photo).
You can not use a Dyna (stock) Flute (Seat Pipe, #46618-06)
with a V-Rod lower as the V-Rod is 6 mm
and the Dyna has a 12 mm socket bolt (#46614-06).
This goes in the bottom of the V-Rod lower
and connects to the Dyna (stock) Flute (Seat Pipe, #46618-06).
Modifying the V-Rod lower is impractical and IMO unsafe as there is not enough material to modify it.
Our solution is making the internal suspension and while we are at it,
put in a form of emulator and change the spring rate
to one that is comparable to the owners weight and riding style.
We are in there so why not do the work to improve the ride.
We will also design & make a complete cartridge system (X-Factor) for this conversion.
I have done the research, made the drawings, and today I will build the prototype.
Jay Risk and hopefully Mudd will install them on their bikes for testing
& be good enough to give a truthful evaluation
such as improved stopping distance and ride quality.
That is up to them to post and take their time to do this and compose for your information.
This cost me $108.00 to view this (+ screws + spring et al.) and have the flutes to shoot this photo. Special order only.

Sounds like you are getting it narrowed down Howard.

This should work into a really nice package.

mud

Last edited by mud; 01-13-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-03-2008 | 05:06 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

JUst got home and finished with all drawings. Now we make them. Jay Risk is takinng off his front end and shipping the whole thing down to me including wheel, axle et al. Leave just the neck. It looks do-able but just like the guy who leaped off the 100th story roof and the woman stuck her head out and asked "How Is It Going?....The leaper said, So Far - So Good!

Will keep all that is intrested informed.

Old 04-21-2008 | 01:59 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Update. I have just came back from the shop and we are making the internals to make this work. Until I have an actual working system and on Jay Risks bike, it is only a theory. It should...repete should work. The only way to make this to work is by making the flutes, doing away with the oil lock system & replacing this system with an air spring system. If you do not, than when the forks bottom out the hydro-lock (oil lock) use to be, the system could crush if you hit a "square" enough bump. That is where the prevention comes in with an air spring.

If you were to use a complete V-Rod front end, they are about 2" shorter (I'm estimating/guessing) than the 32" Dyna front ends.

If you were to try to use a V-Rod lowers on the Dyna, they would be about 1 1/2" to 2" shorter at least. Look at the reference on the two Flutes by Mud.

You can not use the stock Dyna (big) flutes on a V-Rod lower.

Well, make the internals, put it together, buy Brembo calipers, buy one or two 300 rotors and we will than discover what adventures are left in store for us. Caliper/rotor alignment is very important.

Keep you informed if you are so inclined to read.............H

Old 04-22-2008 | 11:39 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Update
Better news, the hubs are the same flange on both sides and I mounted up the rotor to both sides and they work fine.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/2A4F1D2426C44D51B4C9AE8EFEBBE2C9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-11-2008 | 07:38 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default RE: Update- Pair of Brembo calipers on a Street Bob

An update.

we have all of the internal parts made to put Jay Risks front end (06 Dyna Street Bob/Mid Glide) together but for one snag. I have only received the v-Rod Lower forks and 1 right hand Brembo caliper.

I do not know what is wrong with Harley but over 3 weeks and no parts? Who needs a bike with no availability of parts. In the 70's all Harley dealerships in the Miami area had parts in stock! They had counter persons (Parts Guys) who knew motorcycles. They knew what fit & knew how to modify the part to fit if it was unavailable.

So much for nostalgia! Everything went South once they put a stock ticker on the front page.

I am sure the duel disks will work on a stock 49mm mid-Glide using the stock 19" wire wheel. Pictures to come if Harley ever delivers my parts!

Old 05-11-2008 | 07:48 PM
woodreaux
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Howard,
Looking forward to seeing your photos when posted..
I know from conversations you havebeen working pretty hard.

Thanks for the update,
Woodreaux

Old 05-12-2008 | 02:03 AM
vladt
|
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Keep us updated FastHarley. Kudos to you for following this to the end.
Can't wait for the final solution.

Old 05-12-2008 | 03:36 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Harley said I get all of my parts tomorrow!!!! This remains to be seen. Bastards! I hate the suits. 3 or more weeks, just for parts to rebuild a 49mm fork. I did buy brembos for the front, however. I will be ready to have them together in 45 min after leaving Harley (completed). I will put em' together dry, make all observations & final measurements as far as travel. I did make the internals to put the front axle exactly the same place as in relation to to top of the triple tree.

After final assembly (wet & checked), I will take it apart & assemble it on one of my show front display stands, trees & all, just like it would be on the motorcycle. I will mount the tire, rotors, calipers, fender, et al. This will check everything as on the bike. I will than get the SS braided brake lines & fitting as well as a 11/16" duel disk master cylinder in place of the single pot M/C.

For those into giving opinions to Jay Risk: Would God prefer 16" flying apes or low & lean drag bars on this street stalker?

Old 05-12-2008 | 04:21 PM
mikedmeyer
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: FastHarley

Harley said I get all of my parts tomorrow!!!! This remains to be seen. Bastards! I hate the suits. 3 or more weeks, just for parts to rebuild a 49mm fork. I did buy brembos for the front, however. I will be ready to have them together in 45 min after leaving Harley (completed). I will put em' together dry, make all observations & final measurements as far as travel. I did make the internals to put the front axle exactly the same place as in relation to to top of the triple tree.

After final assembly (wet & checked), I will take it apart & assemble it on one of my show front display stands, trees & all, just like it would be on the motorcycle. I will mount the tire, rotors, calipers, fender, et al. This will check everything as on the bike. I will than get the SS braided brake lines & fitting as well as a 11/16" duel disk master cylinder in place of the single pot M/C.

For those into giving opinions to Jay Risk: Would God prefer 16" flying apes or low & lean drag bars on this street stalker?
Based on what you're doing (going for improved function over improved form), I'd say drag bars, no question! And mid controls rather than forward, for that matter! (even though you didn't ask)

Quick Reply: PM 6 piston calipers on 08 Street Bob - No go!!!