Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno tuning the bike tomorrow - Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 12:10 AM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Dyno tuning the bike tomorrow - Any tips?

Hey all,

Thanks to a forum member named Topspin, I'm getting my bike dyno tuned tomorrow. He's local to me and told me of a great place to get it done. So, I'm taking the plunge and doing it. I'm hoping it will be running at optimum level after this and my gas mileage will be much better (I'm getting 25 MPG in city).

The guy told me he'd do it for under $150, so that sounds GREAT to me since every place I've talked to or seen has it at around $300.

So I will be taking a video camera and will be recording some of it getting done. Is there any tips or hints that I should be looking for while he's doing this? Any specific equipment he should have?

Hopefully I'll get enough replies before morning as that is when I will be going. Talk to you all soon!

Cheers,
Adrian

Old 03-29-2008, 12:55 AM
Gunshow
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dyno tuning the bike tomorrow - Any tips?

ORIGINAL: AdrianVall

Hey all,

Thanks to a forum member named Topspin, I'm getting my bike dyno tuned tomorrow. He's local to me and told me of a great place to get it done. So, I'm taking the plunge and doing it. I'm hoping it will be running at optimum level after this and my gas mileage will be much better (I'm getting 25 MPG in city).

The guy told me he'd do it for under $150, so that sounds GREAT to me since every place I've talked to or seen has it at around $300.

So I will be taking a video camera and will be recording some of it getting done. Is there any tips or hints that I should be looking for while he's doing this? Any specific equipment he should have?

Hopefully I'll get enough replies before morning as that is when I will be going. Talk to you all soon!

Cheers,
Adrian
Ask a lot of questions, " whats that for, what does that mean, is that a good thing or a bad thing..." blah blah blah you get the point(but try not to sound like a tool).
That tells the tuner you care about what he's doing to your bike and you're watching him like hawk[sm=confused06.gif]. Also let him know what type of riding you do, what you prefer( power verses mpg etc.) Gives him an idea for "custom" tunning the bike to you.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Chipstah
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure he does each cylinder separately and not just copying settings from one to the other. A good tune can take some time, has to cool down between runs, etc. My tuner had the bike over night to do it right. Fuel mileage in general goes down as the tune richens it up usually, but in your case it should help increase it, I would suspect. Tell the tuner you don't care so much about the numbers per se, just get the bike running the best it can (no popping, backfires, etc). Ask for a before and after printout. The price he quoted you is excellent and about what I paid with excellent results, so bring an extra six pack for him!

Old 03-29-2008, 08:05 AM
strich
Tourer

Ditto on the asking questions. No matter how stupid they sound, it's better to know than to feel intimidated about asking.
Mine took about 3 hours and i stood there an watched.

Don't stand behind the bike when he's got it around 110/120...
it gets very hot and backfires. mine blew fire out the back of the pipes a few times. No need to scorch yourself or that video equipment.
the dyno machine that mine was done on was in a small room, so it easily got over 100* in there. the beer for him is a good idea. he'll appreciate it. his next customer may not though...

good luck!

Old 03-29-2008, 08:59 AM
tree88
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

post the pull when ya get-er-done.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:13 AM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

May go without saying, but make sure your air filter is clean before the dyno.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:05 AM
johnfxdb
Cruiser

Tip....BE VERY CAREFUL ON YOUR SELECTION OF DYNO TECHNICIANS!!!!!!!! More motors are hurt during dyno pulls than people would like to admit. Make sure they have the proper air flow going across the bike and pipes or you will be very dissapointed in the new "blue" color. Also...they need to tune EACH jug separately and not just copy one to the other.

Long and short...I don't see how it could be possible to properly dyno tune a bike for under $150 when it will take the better part of a day to go thru the process. It took my tuner all day and cost me $350. The bike ran SOOOOOOOOOOO much better. Forget about what the numbers say, it all about how it runs and feels.