Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handle bar wiring question - PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 04:17 PM
jrsmith_80
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handle bar wiring question - PLEASE HELP!!!

I got a new set of drag bars for my lowrider and am getting ready to install them. I am having some trouble getting the wires out if the connectors under the tank so I was thinking, what would the drawbacks be to cutting the wires and slicing them back together. I really want to just remove the wires from the connectors but they are kicking my butt, and yes I have and have read the service manual, not much help. I dont like the idea of cutting the wires, but I am at the point of not having many more options right now. Any suggestions??

Jeremy

Old 03-27-2008, 04:46 PM
rmatt34
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Handle bar wiring question - PLEASE HELP!!!

Don't cut the wires.... look at where the wires connect, there are small "release tabs" that need to be pushed in torwards the wire ( molex connector style )

Harley sells a tool for this of course ... but you can use a small paper clip ( some people even grind the tip into a point )

Try this first and let me know how it works out for you , and don't worry ,,,this is not the first time some one posted this problem , it's pretty common.
good luck

Old 03-27-2008, 05:01 PM
jrsmith_80
Tourer

I got the turn signal wires out with no problem. The one that I am having trouble with are a grey 8 wire connector and a black 4 wire connector. I have the back of this connector out and the seal but I beleive something must come out of the front as well.

Jeremy

Old 03-27-2008, 05:08 PM
jrsmith_80
Tourer

Here is a pic does this need to come out??

Old 03-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Smiley51
Road Captain

Yes. Look under the 50 bux or less upgrades. Mudpuddle did a great write up with killer pics. The post is at the top of Dyna main page.Check out this thread i moved my speedo from the bars Smiley
I hope I pasted that right I get confused. Anyway thats what I did. Sorry I pasted wrong thread for info

Old 03-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Wobbie1775
Novice

alright man,
i just went through the SAME EXACT problem. alot of dudes on here dont realize the new bikes, i got a 07 wide glide, and i got the same connectors you do. on the back side, where you pulled the back, and the seal out.......inside there, on the short side you will see little clips that are holding the front piece (the white part in your picture, with the 8 holes)......if you use a paper clip (i used a large sewing needle, with the tip clipped off) and depress those 2 clips, away from the center, and towards the front....that whole white piece will move forward about 3/16 of an inch. once it gets there, you can use your tool (clip needle ETC) to push the white piece forward (go back and forth between the 2 sides and push a little at a time). the whole white piece comes out, from there use your little tool to go from the front, on the outboard side of each wire and "finnaggle" each wire out of the plastic body. re-run your wires in the new bars, and put the white front piece back in the plastic body,....and then push the wires back in from the back, ENSURING you put the correct wires where they belong, or youll have problems down the road LOL. let me know if you need any other help, i JUST did this like last week, so its fresh in my mind. i hope this helps, and isnt too confusing. let me know

Rob
Sgt/USMC/0311

Old 03-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Wobbie1775
Novice

part of that last post should say "dont realize new bikes have a new style connector. not the Deutsch like the older bikes have. we have something else.

Rob
Sgt/USMC/0311

Old 03-27-2008, 07:27 PM
pwer pla
Tourer

Here is how I did it, 07 WG BTW. Inside the connector (the end in your picture there are two larger holes in the middle of the connector I took a small nail and bent a small hook in it thread it through one of the middle holes and pull out slightly you will feel the little plate give a little, then above each pin there is a small hole, take a paperclip and push it into that hole while pushing the wire into the plug slightly you will feel it hit the release and then pull the wire out. Very easy once you get the hang of it. Word of advice make sure you diagram the wires and their positions I dod this because I wanted to make sure i got them all back in the right place. Hope this helps.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:53 PM
jrsmith_80
Tourer

Thanks for the help guys I got the wires out from there connectors. The service manual doesnt do a very good job of explaining the process. Now comes the fun part of getting them through the bars, yipee. Once again thanks for the help.

Jeremy

Old 03-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Smiley51
Road Captain

Ya be careful. I changed to drags with built in riser. Fubared the male ends and had to buy new that was a mayor pain. Somebody used weed whacker line to pull wire through the bars and said it worked sweet. Good luck Smiley

Quick Reply: Handle bar wiring question - PLEASE HELP!!!