Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure will not register

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 03:14 PM
fmbeach
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tire Pressure will not register

+1 Evo .... hard to explain, harder to understand (if you have never had one apart)

Old 03-24-2008, 03:48 PM
outback2970
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rh8234

Check the simple stuff first. Some valve caps have a tiny rubber o-ring inside them. It's possible for the 0-ring to come out of the valve cap and get jambed into the top of the valve stem. Look in there carefully and if you see the 0-ring stuck in there, use a tiny pick to dig it out. If that isn't the problem, try just replacing the valve core. Any auto parts store will seel you one. for the valve core tool, just buy a cheap valve cap that has a stem wrence built into the top of it - again a few cents at any auto parts store.
+1 Exactly what happened to me on both front and rear.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:57 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice job evo way to clear that up for him.FlyNavy buy 2 or 3 cores they are cheap and keep them around takes less than a minute to change

Old 03-24-2008, 04:37 PM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found a rubber grommet stuck insice the valve stem. Unreal....
Thanks all for the help - 'DOH!

I checked my front, and I have chrome skull valve stem covers. The front doesn't have a rubber grommet in it, and I never noticed one in the rear either.

Where did the grommet come from? Do I need to have a grommet in the valve stem cover?

Just a ball busta - no adequate light in my basement either made it a b*tch to find.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:55 PM
RJM2096
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: hk_shooter

Actually it sounds like it may be a bad valve core, not stem. The stem is the entire part, the core is only the tiny pin-like part in the center.
A valve core tool can be bought at any auto supply store and cores are very inexpensive.
Be careful when removing the core, if there is pressure in the tire it can and will shoot out.
Does the rear tire feel firm at all, as in is there any air inside or totally flat?
Hope this helps.
Second this. I have have bad cores and they act just like this. Chrome core removal valve caps are good to have.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:30 PM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: flynavy

I checked my front, and I have chrome skull valve stem covers. The front doesn't have a rubber grommet in it, and I never noticed one in the rear either.

Where did the grommet come from? Do I need to have a grommet in the valve stem cover?

Just a ball busta - no adequate light in my basement either made it a b*tch to find.

Sometimes the 'good' valve caps have the o-ring to help seal, in case of a leaky valve core.
But they only help to keep the air in when they stay in place.
I'll bet you now know more about valve stems, caps, and cores more than you ever thought there was.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:47 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: flynavy

Tim, without seeing the grommet or where it goes, I'm just guessing. It would either be to keep water out, and I'm not sure why that would be an issue, or it could possibly be there as a dampener to keep the stem cover from vibrating off eventually. Sounds like, worse case, you could lose the caps at some point.

Glad you figured it out. Hope you get some riding in soon. Weather has been up and down here. Seems everytime it has been nice so far, I have something else to do and then we get another cold front and/or rain. Supposed to be as high as 81 here on Friday though.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: fmbeach

+1 Evo .... hard to explain, harder to understand (if you have never had one apart)
Your not kidding........