Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Windshield for Wide Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 09:05 AM
WdGldDave
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Windshield for Wide Glide?

I'm considering the sport windshield (part #91820-85A) for my 01 wide glide. As hard as it is to find a decent looking windshield for a wide glide, I'm thinking this might be the way to go. I'm curious about how much of a pain it will be to add and remove this one compared to the quick release types. The price seems right. The sport shield goes for about $150. I'm assuming that it contains the mounting hardware. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:24 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Sport Windshield for Wide Glide?

I've been wondering the same thing man. I don't really like the way any windshield looks on the Wide Glides..but it sure would be nice this time of year.

Todd

Old 02-04-2006, 04:21 PM
WdGldDave
Road Captain

I'm going to check one out (if it's in stock) at our local dealership. They are having a 20% off sale on all accessories all month. I'll let you know and will post some pics if I take the plunge.

Old 02-04-2006, 04:32 PM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree about the looks, and about how nice it would be this time of year.......Cant wait to see the pics if you decide to go for it! Iwas also checking out the wind vest........not to sure yet.

Old 02-04-2006, 04:43 PM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I highly recommend that you don't consider that H-D windshield. I had the Sportster version (58192-87A) and it was a real pain. They mount to the forks and to the handlebars and are hard to adjust and remove plus the handlebar mount will scratch the bars. A much better choice would be the Memphis Shades Rio Grande. It mounts to the forks only, is easy to install, remove and adjust. The MS removes in less than a minute vs 15 or 20 for the H-D. You can get the MS for about the same price if you shop around. I had the Rio Grande on my Wide Glide, sold it and replaced it with a Memphis Fats. The Fats doesn't really do any better keeping the wind off and it causes the bike to be unstable at freeway speeds. I'm going to buy another Rio Grande.
I suggest you get the Drag part number for the windshield you want plus the mounts and price them at discountcycleparts.com. Best prices I've found.

Old 02-04-2006, 07:02 PM
WdGldDave
Road Captain

OK so I asked about the Sport Shield and was told that it wouldn't do anything to help with the wind. The folks at this dealership recommended either the standard or the low profile quick release HD windshield.

Standard - $399
Low Profile - $409
Sport Windshield - $149

The parts guy said he had never sold the sport shield to anyone and seemed down on the idea of anyone having one. He said that I could bring my bike in and try them out if I wanted.

He did mention that the Memphis Shade would make a good alternative if I didn't want to do the HD Standard or Low Profile.

Murphdog, thanks for the info. re. the hardware. Knowing me, I would get sick of changing it out when I wanted to do some highway riding. Based on your post, I'm going to check out the Memphis Shade Rio Grande. You mentioned that it only takes a minute to remove. Do you have to leave some hardware on the fork?

Also, I'm going to have to move my turn signals if I go with the HD windshield. Currently they are located just above my fork brace.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:08 PM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave, yes you do leave the docking hardware behind when you remove the windshield. It consists of 4 clamps and the spools that the windshield brackets attach to. I leave mine on all the time so it doesn't bother me, even so it's not that noticable. From your avitar, it looks like you have your turn signals mounted above your lower tree. They would probably be in the way with the Memphis Shades windshield, too. I have my turn signals mounted below the trees so the lower windshield clamp can go down against the lower tree. You could just slide the windshield clamps up on the forks, but that would leave a pretty big gap between the headlight and windshield.
I'll try to attach a pic of my bike with the Rio Grande on it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2952/46AE70C991B240ACB7C33FFFE62B4C00.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Hog_fever
Road Captain

I have a wide glide and use a "Deflector Screen DX" from National Cycle. This is like the sport shield from HD but it mounts to the bars and has adjustable rake. It can be removed in 10 seconds. Quality is excellent and cost around $89. There is some buffeting but from my understanding, they all do that. I only use mine when it starts to get cold and it makes ALL the difference. Check them out at http://www.nationalcycle.com

Old 02-04-2006, 09:03 PM
WdGldDave
Road Captain

I have a Spitfire Deflector that has the same measurements as the DX Deflector that you mentioned. I used to use it on my Honda Rebel 250. It does fit my WideGlide but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I guess I'm wondering if I'm going to notice any difference between the HD windhields I mentioned earlier and something like my Spitfire or the National Cycle DX Deflector. It's very easy to add or remove the Spitfire. I would hate to spend $400 on a HD Windshield and find out that my Spitfire would do the same job. I guess I'll just have to wait to test the big windshields. It will have to get a little warmer than 27 degrees though!

Thanks for the information everyone.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:06 PM
WdGldDave
Road Captain

Murphdog,
That windscreen looks great on your bike. The two-tone look of the windscreen compliments the black and silver on your bike.

Quick Reply: Sport Windshield for Wide Glide?