Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh Screw It...I'm buying Some Tools

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008 | 07:13 PM
Shrug
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Oh Screw It...I'm buying Some Tools

I have several mods to complete: Chrome lowers, new rear wheel, polished rotors & proper brake pads, chrome pulley cover, and a new front wheel/rotor (whenever I find one I want). I've asked around at my stealer and a few indy shops for pricing and have decided to just bite the bullet and buy the Sears yellow jack and a new set of tools. I used to work on my dirt bikes and could tear down and rebuild a motor (2 stroke) between races. I've treated my WG with kid gloves and let my dealer do all the maintenance. I still have through Sept 2009 on my service plan, so I'll let themhandle the scheduled maintenance and other warranty issues.

As I see it, I can spend a few hundred bucks one time on updating my tools andrepeatedly save money on shop costs for stuff I could probably do myself. I picked up an 06 Dyna shop manual (thanks Doug). My other tools have been pilfered by my sons and their friends over the years to the point where I'm lucky to find a damn screwdriver these days. The kids are grown now. Look out Sears, here I come!

Old 03-21-2008 | 07:28 PM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Oh Screw It...I'm buying Some Tools

Wise move, Sir.
Plus keep an eye out at estate sales, swap meets, etc because if you buy a cheap/crusty broken Craftsman tool there they'll give you a new one at the Sears store.

Old 03-21-2008 | 07:30 PM
bluechiphank
Cruiser

way to go scott if you can handle the 2 strokes between racesyou can can handle the dyna best part is there is no dead line take your time and enjoy customizing your bike andbest of allyou can say {I DID IT MYSELF }

[IMG]local://upfiles/43945/3809AB244ED34FF3A59C7522CA796144.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-22-2008 | 12:00 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

It's so much easier spending a few hours on a rainy weekend working on your bike, than spending a few hundred at the dealer.

I had to start from scratch in the tool department. Been getting by with mix-matched sets and general junk for far too long, so I decided to get some stuff dedicated to the bike. I got the following tools to get me started, and I am pretty well covered as far as services and accessory mods. Prices are approx but close:

-- Service Manual $60
-- 263 piece mechanics tool set #33263 from Sears for $199 (great set!)
-- Sears yellow jack for $149
-- Craftsman standard allen sockets $25
-- Lisle torx bit sockets $10
-- 3 harbor freight torque wrenches (1 in inch/lbs and 2 other in foot/lbs) $40

I'm able to do just about everything. And as I need things along the way I just add to the collection (like a belt tensioner tool, or oil filter wrench...etc). Just changed my oil tonight after supper. Feels good not to have to rely on the dealership.

I know I'm not as good at it as they are. It'll likely take me 10 times as long to do some things, and while I may spend a lot of time researching, it's all well worth it. For me this hobby is more than just time spent in the saddle. Time in the garage is therapeutic too.

Old 03-22-2008 | 12:10 AM
SoCalFXDF
Intermediate

I love colecting tools almost as much as buying parts for my bike. I like doing my own work because of the sense of satisfaction and no one cares more about doing things right on it more than me.

Old 03-22-2008 | 12:12 AM
VenturaChop
Road Master

get good torx man the snap easy i got some mac torx never let me down you gonna need a long 12 mm allen for the slider snap on sells one for the dyna line i believe its 20 bucks

Old 03-22-2008 | 12:23 AM
Dynaflyer
Road Master

Way cool Scott!
Can't go wrong with a good set from Craftsman, I have broke a few torx bits and they now have me calling a 1-800 number for a replacement. I brought a rachet in a few week ago and they swapped it out no questions asked.
It's a great feeling to DIY and saves a boat load of Skins. If you did the work on your Dirt bike, this will be a piece of Cake.
Sears seems to have a sale every week. I watch it closely and grab a few goodies now and then.
Anyone have any feedback on a good aircompressor for tools and light painting? Sorry for the Hijack.