Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big guy on little dyna superglide

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008 | 04:20 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: big guy on little dyna superglide

I'll give 1 of my 2 cents one more time, just because I can [8D]. Resist the urge to take specific suggestions from this or other threads and apply them directly to your bike thinking you are going to get what you want. There is a reason there are a variety of choices when it comes to seats, bars, forward controls, and even bikes. If only one setup worked for tall people and one for average to short people, the rest of the companies would be out of business. This forum is best used when you take in as much information as you can and use it to make the best decision for you.

I'll give you a specific example but I am in no way trying to flame or call anyone out specifically. I have a Tallboy seat. It's comfortable and it does move you back over an inch from the stock seat. But, in my opinion, it's also ugly and it it moves me up a couple of inches over stock and changes my center of gravity and therefore my riding experience. I use it to make my wife comfortable when she rides but, for me, I prefer a lower seat that gets me below the stock height and also pulls me back over an inch from stock. One or the other of those might be right for you or neither may be your preferred option. You may find you like something in between. You can take a stock seat and send it in to Mean City Cycles, a sponsor of this site, and have it reshaped for your height and weight and that may be your preference.

I spent a lot of time in a dealer store searching for not only the right style of bars for me but the right size. I ended up with the style I liked but not exactly the size I wanted. Instead I got the size I needed. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have been happy in the long run.

I agree with Ed on the forward controls. At 6'4", it's hard for me to imagine riding with mid controls. But, it's also hard to imagine anyone under 6' really being comfortable with forwards unless they've made provisions for them with their seat and/or bars to accomodate. But, people are built differently too. I'm 6'4" but have the same inseam as some people who are only 6'1" or 6'2" which is probably why I'm more comfortable with standard length forwards vs. extended length.

People tend to get excited and say do what I did, you won't be sorry but you should resist that and make up your own mind. There are lots of options available to you and if you choose the right ones, you'll be perfectly happy with your FXD. There is nothing small about Dyna's compared to the other models when you truly consider all of the dimensions and power. As you can tell, there are plenty of us big guys riding them comfortably.

Old 03-21-2008 | 04:22 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

I have the '08, i'm 6'2" and 260. I added standard forward controls and Mustang 2 up saddle. I am very happy with the feel. If I were you I would try FC's and a saddle, maybe a Tallboy, they sit you back more than any other seat, but i'll be damned if i'd mess with the bars. Add some slip ons, I have Cycle Shacks and luv them, really good quality with a low price tag. And no further adjustments made to the air/fuel with them.

[IMG]local://upfiles/52705/A8BDB9E2CC8745438A4618A3269CDBF7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-21-2008 | 04:25 PM
tree88
Road Captain

As the resident freak (6'8"- 320lbs) in the dyna room i can safely say you are not too big. you may have to mod it a bit, but you can make it comfortable for you, it can be done.

Old 03-21-2008 | 04:32 PM
texasgrant
Cruiser

I felt incredibly cramped up when I sat on a FatBob with mid controls. At 6'1", I'm not as tall as you, but adding those forward controls made a huge difference on the FatBob. I can only imagine you'll find the same thing.

Old 03-21-2008 | 05:13 PM
Afishinado
Road Master

5'10" and a mere 250... I'm a newbie, riding just a year. Before I bought my WG, I rented just about everything Harley had to offer and liked the WG the best. Bought my bike from a guy 6'4 and 250. He had 3" extensions which I ebay'd, then added a set of risers that bring the handlebars back 2" and up 1" that did the trick. I am comfy as I think I can be. I look big no matter what I'm doing, been that way just about forever... Quite frankly my dear, I don't give a damn Now that said, I didn't feel like the 250 Suzy I rode in the MSF course would cut it...

Old 03-22-2008 | 06:43 PM
last saint
Road Master

Like several on here have said, you DO NOT have a small bike. It's just a matter of making it fit you personally. I'm 6'1 and 250, been ridin' dynas for a while now. I just finished a streetbob for one of my brothers who is 6'4 and about 350. Helluva big man. Don't be afraid to think outside of the box when setting the bike up for yourself and do your home work. As for forward controls, that's also a matter of personal preference. Like I said, I'm 6'1 and I love mid controls. And, I have long legs. Seating and bars make all of the difference in the world as well as leg positioning. My bro that's 6'4 has extended forwards on his bob. He loves them. For me, I like to feel my feet beneath me. Gives me better control of the bike. But this is all MY preference. Everyone is different. I also run TALL t bars on most dynas that I build. Definitely makes a difference. Good luck and don't be afraid to tackle some of the work yourself. You'll probably save some money as well as learn a lot about your ride in the process.

Saint

Old 03-22-2008 | 07:19 PM
vjroadrat
Novice

5'11" 250 2006 Street Bob with factory W/G forwards. Added Kury 3" extensions (maybe I bought yours Afishinado). Along with the Kury ISO stirrups they are perfect! 100 miles today and it was great. Also 16" Wildone apes with 4 1/2 straight risers. Hands are legs are extended but it is the most comfortable I have ever been. Wehad a niceday here today (last week and next week is rain) and the road was FULL of bikes today.
Ride safe.

Old 03-22-2008 | 07:21 PM
grumpa
Tourer
Default RE: big guy on little Dyna super glide

if you were looking for a good deal , You could have gotten into a 883, Then what??? It will take time shopping around for the best fit. look for a milk crate , you will need some where to put the spare parts. Hand on to the bike and at age 60 then trike it,

Old 03-22-2008 | 08:54 PM
Ybnormal67
Cruiser

Hey Vegasjoe,

5'11" 220 here and I love my street bob. I added HD hiway pegs and that made a world of difference in the ride comfort to me. Tried the sundowner seat it was confortable as could be but UGLY ( IMO ). I agree with most on here just gona have to try some things and see what works. Just a suggestion for a seat, see if you can pick up a stock seat cheap. Get ahold of Allen at Mean City cylces and have him do some mods for ya. I have used him once and IMO he can do wonders with memory foam and seat mods. Good luck in the search for comfort.

Later,
Joe

[IMG]local://upfiles/43328/D48B13D3F1ED4FBA937BCAC29B549500.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-22-2008 | 09:03 PM
VenturaChop
Road Master

6 3 250 here get a bare bones and some forwards with some drags that you have to reach your done i just need some forwards and ill be done

Quick Reply: big guy on little dyna superglide