Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 12:27 AM
baxter
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Primary noise?

nah the bearings dont work themselves out, once theyre marred or got a flat spot theyll jus get chewed up intern chew up all the other and then you got a bunch of crap flyn around your primary to cause more damage. id take care of it. i did and was told good thing i got it soon enough cus there coulda been other damage (that warranty woulda had to cover) .

Old 03-20-2008, 12:29 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 39,859 Likes on 13,480 Posts

Why is it that when you hear a noise and take your car or bike to the dealer it gets quieter?This happens to me every time.DONNIE,I had a similar noise and cured it by cleaning the drive belt with soap and a toothbrush.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:12 AM
baxter
Road Warrior

it works like that, jus like going to the video store and you cant remember wtf you where talkin bout watchn. haha

im thinkn that it makes more noise when two up cus its under load with more weight. ive had 11 inch shocks for over a year before that occured , i dont see how the hieght of the ride would effect the drivetrain in any way. coincidence maybe?

Old 03-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Hughey79
Tourer

Well I went out a few minutes ago and looked and looked and didnt see anything that appeared to be belt related or gaurd problems. However I looked up into the rear fender and found that the left turn signal wire had come out of a bracket and had been the culprit rubbing against the rear tire. It was chewed all the way through to the point of having the wire exposed and some strands broken. Temporarily I have put some electrical tape on it and put it back in the clamp. There seems to be some excess wire on this side. I am not sure what to do exaclty but there was the issue. So for those that have lowered you may want to take a look and see if there is an issue with your as well.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:36 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Nazman, when you tighten your drive belt, did check for the rear tire alignment, is it possible your belt is out of alignment (not tracking true) between the rear and drive pulleys. Do you have a service manual? That will show you how to adjust the drive belt to within limits. If you are sure take to a reputable indy and have themcheck it out, primary and drive belt. Maybe it's just me but I'm getting mixed descriptions of what is happening here. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Hughey79
Tourer

Scratch that. The noise is still there. I took it out for a ride and it is still the same. After a few miles it lessens but when I stop for awhile it is back.
I checked and the wire is still out of the way so that is ruled out for sure. (atleast I found that out sooner than later)
It has to be something else. Its like when the bike is ridden and warmed up its better. Maybe I will try the oil thing on the inside of the belt a little bit. Someone hopefully has some answers for me. Please I am a paranoid freak about my vehicles and can not stand them not being close to perfect as possible.
Thanks.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:13 PM
LeadSlinger0311
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Naz ... Baxter is right on bro .

it is more than likely the primary baring .(inner race baring )

belive me go get it fixed .

i had basiclly my whole primary blow up on me after a was makein that coffe grinder noise like ya ll said then a real big whine then BAM

no mas.

like baxter said get it fixed its a cheap part and will save you the headache in a long run .

later Slinger