Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:46 AM
SUPER01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Primary noise?

ORIGINAL: dyna07custom

naz remove shift lever easey1 bolt and pull off ifyou have all the bolts out primary covershould come off with just a tap just a reminder you did drain it
Have the bike sitting level and no fluid should come out. Mark your shifter before you take it off or you may have to adjust it later.
If you have to adjust the tensioner, don't loosen the adjustment bolt much or it will fall down and it is a bitch to get back. [:@]
Unless you remove the primary cover. Yes I did this.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:49 AM
dog06bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming you removed the shifter shaft cap I saw on your site, there is a seal that goes around the shaft so you'll have to pry evenly from both end. Should take to much to get it to slide off the shaft. You don't have to drain it if you keep the bike fairly straight. Put a piece of wood under your kickstand.

I noticed the same sort of noise coming from my bike the first time I put my wife on the back. Felt a vibration on the pegs when I hit a bump. Adjusted my drive belt to factory specs and it went away. My belt was loose from the factory. You'll notice that the belt tension lessens with a load increase.

I told my wife that she exceeded the weight capacity for the back of the bike!

Old 03-19-2008, 01:42 PM
baxter
Road Warrior

GO GET YOUR PRIMARY BEARING CHECKED!. i just had mine replaced in november after a 3000mile trip. covered by warranty and its a common problem among the 6 speed trannys. assuming you have a warranty still, if not i think it was a fifty dollar part.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:45 PM
jblanc1991
Stage II

same problem as baxter onlong trip major noises coming from primary both bearings were shot and thrust washers all covered by warranty

Old 03-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a 2005 5 speed

Old 03-19-2008, 10:30 PM
baxter
Road Warrior

does it sound like a coffee grinder then stop when your at a stand still and pull the clutch in?

Old 03-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

yes.... it don't do it that bad when riding alone but with...... 2 up It does it the whole time!

Donnie

Old 03-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

If I pull in the clutch while moving it stops....it don't do it in neutral or sitting still either.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:04 PM
baxter
Road Warrior

primary bearings, i had the exact same symptoms, id put money on it.(if i had any haha). if thats the case get it taken care of before it messes up other stuff, i got lucky , mine went out on the last 200 miles of a 3000mile road trip and it was covered by warranty.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Hughey79
Tourer

This is exaclty the noise I have been hearing as well. I was wondering if it was something since I placed the 11 inch shocks on or not. I went by the good ole dealer today and spoke to two different people and they thought that since it sat and didnt move for a few months that the bearing may have rusted a little and would work itself out. When I pulled in to the dealer the noise was less and it rode fine all the way there but when I left it was back again. I would really like to get this fixed. My belt seems to be tight but havent checked the chain as of yet. The dealer actually wanted me to see if it went away after several miles than spend 78 bucks for an hours worth of labor. Weird.
Has anyone else had this problem after lowering? Mine is an 05 with the 5 speed as well.

Quick Reply: Primary noise?