Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mistake To Do New Bike On Dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Fuente
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mistake To Do New Bike On Dyno?

I have a HD dealership that will do the Power Commander, V&H Pipes, and Ness Big Sucker Air Cleaner. And, they are asking that I have only 20-30 miles on the bike at a minimum. Finally, a dealership that doesn't give me the "Power Commanders will mess up your bike's computer system", "Power Commanders will be a problem with your Factory and Extended Warranty", and the big one - "you need to install an HD Tuner to get it to optimum performance level". You've all heard it, I am sure.

Since I have a dealership that will do my Stage One relatively new, I have a concern that was shared with me today. That being, "you don't want to put a brand new bike on a dyno machine". He stated that they really "crank up the bike" on a dyno, and "you don't want this happening to a brand, new bike". Agree or disagree?

I just don't feel it cost effective to put on SE II Slip-ons with their basic download, if my intention is to ultimately install a new exhaust system totally to get the optimal performance level possible. Thoughts or advice?

Old 03-02-2005, 09:09 PM
scatterbrain
Cruiser
Default RE: Mistake To Do New Bike On Dyno?

If it were me, I wouldn't have my bike dyno'd until I was out of the break-in period.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:10 PM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I would NOT put a new bike on a dyno. I would give it time to seat the rings first.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:20 PM
rollnthunder
Tourer

I waited till after my first maintance with the dealer then off to the dyno we went.

Old 03-02-2005, 11:26 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed, do not dyno tune a new bike or a freshly rebuilt top-end until after a break in period. Like Sincecrazy said the rings have to seat, you want the engine to go thru several heat up and cool down cycles. In addition to possible motor damage , you would not get a correct dyno tune reading on a new motor vs fully broke in motor.

Now one other thing you can do is break a motor in on a dyno, but it would have to run on it a while at least 500 miles, some people do this, racers etc. and then they do the dyno tuning.

John TN

Old 03-02-2005, 11:58 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sincecrazy

I would NOT put a new bike on a dyno. I would give it time to seat the rings first.

Mac

Old 03-03-2005, 12:01 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

Do you have warranty? If not, I would put on 2500 or so, 500 is the minimum for break in, and it's not enough. Go riding, and then do the upgrades.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:26 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Joe Scout

Do you have warranty? If not, I would put on 2500 or so, 500 is the minimum for break in, and it's not enough. Go riding, and then do the upgrades.
[sm=goodidea.gif]
I'm gonna put at least 1000mi before any upgrades and since I am new (again) my Dyna has more poop than I am used to just plane stock. I'm kinda skeered what might happen with some more ponies under the seat.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:29 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

Tripper, more ponies, more smiles!

Old 03-03-2005, 12:33 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Joe, at this point in my life, more experience = more smiles = more miles = more smiles then more ponies = more smiles. Everything in God's good time.

Quick Reply: Mistake To Do New Bike On Dyno?