Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Dobeck TFI

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008 | 06:56 PM
SURFOR Chop
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Installed Dobeck TFI

Had been riding my '05 FXDI with no mods to the engine and drivetrain for over 10,000 miles now(I know,not that much, but I've been atsea or away from homeport for 14 months since I've owned it)... intending to remedy that eventually. I changed out mid-controls to floorboards and converted to mini-apes.

I ordered an air cleaner by Dennis Goodson from my local indy shop and I got a Dobeck Performance Techlusion EFI module. The A/C hasn't come in yet, but I got the TFI in the mail Thurs and put it on Fri.

After following the install instructions, I took it for a little test ride "to pick up some Chinese carry-out" (with a 5-mi detour en route) ... doesn't knock my socks off, but noticable. I'm going to get some pipes soon and when I get both A/C and pipes, I may dyno tune it (or not waste my time). I hope to get in the neighborhood of +10 hp/tq after A/C and pipes are done, but I am thinking I probably won't go to the trouble or expense of dyno testing it until later.

In another 10,000 miles (hopefully sooner) I want to go large to 95" and ported heads so am thinking it would bemore worthwhile to wait until then. I also hope to intall an Andrews 37 grind cam before then. Maybe dyno after the cam ... appreciate any thoughts.(Sorry all, no pics).

R/
Priest

Old 03-16-2008 | 07:23 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Default RE: Installed Dobeck TFI

I've alsoinstalled the same DFO and used the setup as described in the pamphlet instructions. I had a free dyno rundone during an open house and it pulled about 68 h.p. and 73 ft lbs torque at the rear wheel. I have low restriction mufflers and an open intake on my 05 FXDLI. Big numbers, I suppose they could be bigger, my primary concern was making it run cooler and adding more fuel to do that. The dyno operator wasn't familar with the DFO so no adjustments then, but the red pot was a bit rich, I turned it down just a bit and the bike runs good! Good luck in your future mods.

Old 03-16-2008 | 08:20 PM
SURFOR Chop
|
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Installed Dobeck TFI

Not sure what stock HP numbers are as the MoCo never publishes them in marketing literature. I seem to recall without having a reference at hand, that they do publish torque.

Looking at a Twin-Cam S & S Cycle catalog from '07 and referring to page 15 showing expected gains from their Quick Set Up Kits, it shows stock 88" 2004 EFI Dyna producing 63.3 HP and 71.0 Lb-Ft of torque before (stock) and 75/79 after. The HP and Torque numbers seem to be pretty consistent with stock numbers I've seen elsewhere. So, Senior, it looks like you gained approximately5 HP and 2 Lb FT torque (plus or minus).

I don't know if doing the TFI did anything or if it was a 'placebo' effect, but I also seemed to note a little more throaty exhaust tone ... not too much, but just noticeable. May have all just been in my head, because as I said, I did nothing to intake or exhaust so far. But, I would think--intuitively--that adding a little fuel should have helped.

R/
Priest

Here's a picture of the Goodson A/C I'm going to install ....

[IMG]local://upfiles/29151/FBF86008524746208385CC1FA68F2C78.jpg[/IMG]