Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering the low rider

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Hillstcrew
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering the low rider

2006 FXDLI
Looking for advice on lowering my bike.I am about 5'5".
need to get the feet down a little.
Lower shock kit from HD only goes 1/4"
Any lower seats?etc.
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-04-2006, 12:06 AM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Lowering the low rider

I have a 87' FXRS(one of the highest ground clearance bikes they ever made).I'm 5'6" so I see where your coming from.I installed the Progressive shocks in the back & Progressive springs in the forks.My feet are firmly on the ground now.Your bike might be lower than mine was so you might want to talk to your dealer to see what shocks are best for you.P.S. Harley suspenions are the worst.So you might want to swap them out just for that. Good Luck

Old 02-04-2006, 01:48 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lower shocks are an option, but you have to be careful, too far and your ride will suffer horribly and the bike will bottom out. A better/companion solution might be to either have someone rework your stock seat to lower you that way or have another seat put on the bike. I have a custom seat from BAR Enterprises, harleyseats.com as to others on this board and am very happy with the workmanship and pricing. HD makes seats that will drop you a little, but a custom seat may be a better choice for the same price. You should be able to get what you need for under $300.00 if you bshop around. Highly recommend calling Patty at BAR and talking to her, she'll address your concerns and recommend a combination that suits you.

My stock '04 FXD shocks were cut down to 11.5" which dropped the back over an inch which helped me out, but I do notice a little rougher ride, not painful, but I would not want to go any shorter than 11.5". Before purchasing a set of shorter shocks for a couple of hundred bucks, you might want to have a local shop cut your springs down so that the shock is 11.5" and then see how you like the fit and ride. If that works out, get a better pair of that length shock, I agree, stock suspension leaves a lot to be desired. Problem with the Lowrider shocks is that they're already shorter than standard Dyna shocks and can't be dropped much more.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:40 PM
intruder400ex
Road Captain

My buddy lowered his shocks on his low rider a little and the ride significantly suffered he said its worse than riding his custom hard tail.

You cant lower all that much due to clearance isues also.

steve

Old 02-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Hillstcrew
Intermediate

Thanks for the tips guys.Going to start with the forward position seat.
The real problem is the primary sticks out farther than my Sporty.
which kicks my left leg out.JP Cycles does not list any shorter shocks for the 2006 yet.
I will get by till they come out with a little shorter ones.The Harley shocks only go another 1/4 in.
Not much for 200 some bucks.Once the bike comes and I put the seat on We will go from there.

Thanks a bunch!

Old 02-04-2006, 08:18 PM
intruder400ex
Road Captain

Just an FYI you can cut your shocks down some if that helps.

Steve