Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike pop'ing on de-acceleration and down changes

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:23 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Bike pop'ing on de-acceleration and down changes

ORIGINAL: vladt

I am actually quite determined to get this problem sorted myself.
Just discovered that the stealer did not include the data connector cable with this kit. (ie. data connector on the bike to serial adapter).

Does this cable normally comes in the kit or shall I purchase it separately?
SERT or PCIII's aren't designed for you to make the problems go away on your own. There are tuners out there that seem to have problem enough doing it with a dyno and they have supposedly been trained to do it. How do you intend to do it yourself when you have no training and, most likely, I'm guessing, no dynomometer? I guess maybe some people here know enough to make adjustments but probably a small minority. You probably spent a lot of money on that SERT. Spend a few more dollars and get someone that knows what they are doing, with the proper equipment, to do it right. My 2 cents.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:44 AM
dynaglide07
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when ever you do any exsaust work, change pipes or slipons.change the intake gaskets, becuz any movement brakes the seal and you get poping backfiring. and any free flow mufflers always have some poping thats agivin. and as far as serts there junk as fuel paks there junk you will never get them right, ive seen it. get the pcIII usb and have it maped for your set up you wont go wrong! and any time you have the dealer do work you never get all the old parts or supplies back. they keep them them selfs. you will have to try your self to see what works best for you. oh check all your exsaust clamps and tighten the **** out of them. somtimes this will help. good luck.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:48 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on 2007FXDC post.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:57 AM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: dynaglide07

when ever you do any exsaust work, change pipes or slipons.change the intake gaskets, becuz any movement brakes the seal and you get poping backfiring. and any free flow mufflers always have some poping thats agivin. and as far as serts there junk as fuel paks there junk you will never get them right, ive seen it. get the pcIII usb and have it maped for your set up you wont go wrong! and any time you have the dealer do work you never get all the old parts or supplies back. they keep them them selfs. you will have to try your self to see what works best for you. oh check all your exsaust clamps and tighten the **** out of them. somtimes this will help. good luck.
HUH!........ How on earth does re & re your exhaust system affect your intake seals?
The only way I can see that happening is if your using a 5lb sledge to line things up.

Cheers... Ben.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:46 AM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gaskets first, then straight on the Dyno. Play with SERTon you own later - after you make sure youcopied your bike's custom map from the Dyno tuning.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Merlin
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

vladt,

I'm sorry, I assumed that when you stated you had a SERT that you had the dealer do a dyno after the mods.

If not, then find a good tuner in your area and get it tuned! Make sure they give you a copy of the custom map when they doyour bike. Ask first about getting the map when they are done. If they they wont give it to you, find another tuner.I always bring a thumb drive and a floppy so I can get a copy.

Let the tuner know about the popping on decel before the dyno. They should be able to tune most of it, ifnot all of it, out during the tune I was able to get rid of itby adjusting the fuel at the 0 and 10% throttle positions.

BTW - I've tried the fuel on decel setting with no results.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Aroberts
Tourer

I thought the popping was because it was a Harley and its a Carb. I bought my bike a year go and when Iletoff the throttle just before I would be shiftingit pops like a mother****. I personally like it, specially then there is a chich next to me with her window down. It also pops when I shift. My bike was tuned for L.A and I live in Boise with a elevation of 2800ft. I am thinking that has something to do about it. Plus the previous owner of my bike was a Harley tech and I know he took very good care of it. Very interesting

Old 03-12-2008, 12:43 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I PERSONALLY LIKE THAT SOUND ON DECEL

Old 03-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Chipstah
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vladt

by the way, where would SERT be normally installed by the mechanic? I guess in the seat pan?
Hopefully you are not serious.

The SERT is a black box that is plugged in to the bike's ecm to adjust the various settings using a PC and then is unplugged and removed. Not permanently installed like PCIII, Fuel Pack, and some others. There are quite a few more settings with the SERT and they're not very obvious what each does, and unless you know what you're doing, you can really mess up the engine by attempting it yourself. BUT, if you do want to try, at least write down ALL the original settings first so you can return to those when you're done messin' around. Then go get it dyno'd by someone that knows what they're doing.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:25 PM
hd_sob
Road Master

I bought a SERT about this time last year with the hope of curing my decel pop, surging, etc. I tried all kinds of modified maps and advice from forum members, but never could really get it where I wanted it. I gave up and left it alone for the past several months, but recently decided to take the ever-popular 'get a Dyno tune' advice. I have an appointment for Friday morning.

They (American Eagle HD) have already confirmed they will tune both cylinders individually (~20 runs), give me a before and after chart and a copy of the new .MT6 file.

Before I take her in, is there ANYTHING else I should know/request up front?

THANKS!

Quick Reply: Bike pop'ing on de-acceleration and down changes