Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Living with Bob (FAT Bob, that is)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Gilly
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Living with Bob (FAT Bob, that is)

What does anyone here recommend for commuting with my Dyna when I get it? I am spoiled by a BMW with decent sized saddle bags. I'd toss my sorta briefcase thing I need for work in one of the bags, the other I'd have room to put my breakfast in I'd pick up at McDs (including a coffee, I'd reused one of those cardboard drink holder things and the coffee always stayed put in the saddlebag). OK, then I'd get to work, pull this briefcase thing out and my helmet would go in one saddlebag, then pull out my b'fast and put my jacket in the other one. Lock it all up and go to work.
On the briefcase thing, I can probably figure out a way to wrap the strap around the backrest, has like a shoulder strap for lugging it around.
I think I'm screwed on the coffee idea, unless I want to have the only Fat Bob around with a cupholder.
Only thing i can think of is some butt ugly sorta box strapped on to the rear of the bike or somethin'. For touring I think I have a good idea, on some sort of tail pack (saw one at twistedthrottle/com I like), but at a loss for the daily grind. The helmet I think I can find a place for at work.
I'm keeping the BMW, I could also try using that just for commuting, but my goal is to have the Fat Bob work out so well that I sell the BMW later on.
Gilly

Old 03-11-2008, 08:14 PM
hd_sob
Road Master
Default RE: Living with Bob (FAT Bob, that is)

ORIGINAL: Gilly
I'm keeping the BMW, I could also try using that just for commuting, but my goal is to have the Fat Bob work out so well that I sell the BMW later on.
Gilly
Sounds like the Beemer does everything you need it to do Monday - Friday. Might wanna hold on to that and keep the F-Bob lean and mean for showing off on weekends and casual Fridays. I had a similar dilemma when I first got my S-Bob and started riding to work every day. I finally gave up and changed my habits. I didn't want to turn my Dyna into a Winnebago just for a few luxuries that I quickly overcame...

Old 03-11-2008, 08:19 PM
storm8732
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

you could always get a road king....they all have bags....some even have trunks

Old 03-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Gilly
Road Captain

Need something narrower. I might be wide, but my bike can't be (space limitations in the garage).

Old 03-11-2008, 10:26 PM
the metal
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the fat bob can be turned into the ULTIMATE commuter & weekend hopper alll in !

here's how I would do it- I've got the bags belo.

get the boss bags that are very easily detachable and I believe to be the largest in volume or certainly in that category for 08 dynas. they also have the straps across the tops so you can put a briefcase across the rear seat and bungee it down to the straps.

I would get the cup holder attachment that's available for the bars as well and you can still grab that java. and i think there are some convenient helmet locks that can go on the passenger peg or something but I always cable lock my bike to something and lock the helmet on the cable/

if you go with the sissy bar, grab the luggage rack too, or I believe it may come with, then you have that space too.

and keep the BMW, heheheheh

Old 03-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Black Pearl
Novice

I commute daily year round on a Street Bob. I don't know about the breifcase but I get by great with the #90369-06A saddlebags, and a Lazyrider. http://www.lazyrider.com/

Old 03-11-2008, 11:08 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,111 Likes on 2,120 Posts

Gilly, here's a link to kraut's machine,
with lots of pix.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2627191/tm.htm

mud

ORIGINAL: Gilly

What does anyone here recommend for commuting with my Dyna when I get it? I am spoiled by a BMW with decent sized saddle bags. I'd toss my sorta briefcase thing I need for work in one of the bags, the other I'd have room to put my breakfast in I'd pick up at McDs (including a coffee, I'd reused one of those cardboard drink holder things and the coffee always stayed put in the saddlebag). OK, then I'd get to work, pull this briefcase thing out and my helmet would go in one saddlebag, then pull out my b'fast and put my jacket in the other one. Lock it all up and go to work.
On the briefcase thing, I can probably figure out a way to wrap the strap around the backrest, has like a shoulder strap for lugging it around.
I think I'm screwed on the coffee idea, unless I want to have the only Fat Bob around with a cupholder.
Only thing i can think of is some butt ugly sorta box strapped on to the rear of the bike or somethin'. For touring I think I have a good idea, on some sort of tail pack (saw one at twistedthrottle/com I like), but at a loss for the daily grind. The helmet I think I can find a place for at work.
Gilly

Old 03-12-2008, 06:07 AM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just use any combination of quick detach bags, sissy bar & rack, and windshield to make yours two bikes in one (like Kraut's).

Old 03-12-2008, 05:01 PM
texasgrant
Cruiser

I commute with my fat bob in Houston - the benefits of taking the HOV far outweight the incovenience I suffer in transferring my stuff from a briefcase to a backpack. Yeah, okay, a backback doesn't exactly look great while riding, and there are some people who voice safety concerns, but it solves the problem of getting my "stuff" to and from work.

As far as coffee and breakfast is concerned - I just grab a bite to eat at the house before leaving (along with one/two cups of coffee) and then re-fuel on crummy office coffee once I get in for the day.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:05 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

i do the same with a backpack if i have to. and i dont care what people think about how it looks......it works for me.

Quick Reply: Living with Bob (FAT Bob, that is)