Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Living with Bob (FAT Bob, that is)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Living with Bob (FAT Bob, that is)

You're all going about this the wrong way.

Ride your fat bob around the McDonalds parking lot twice and go in and flirt with the counter girls. Before long after you take them for a couple spins around the block, you'll have them fighting over who gets to deliver you breakfast and coffee at your place of employment.

- I have a Wide glide that I've added a set of bags and a windshield to that I commute just fine on. If I need to carry more I cargo net a backpack full of stuff to the sissy bar and luggage rack. I love riding it but HATE stop and go traffic on it. If I had your beemer for commuting I'd ride it nearly every day until the weekends rolled around. Then I'd garage store that puppy for a couple days and put some miles on my glide. If there were backroads to take home or a better time to leave the office that thinned out traffic it would be a different story. Then the beemer would never see daylight.

I hope your fatbob lives up to your standards.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:22 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is my solution to getting the cup of joe to work in the morning . I bolted a 6.95 schwinn water botte holder to the quick detach windshield I had on my sportster . I just took one of the cross bar screws out and put it through the bolt hole on the holder . worked good and was a hell of alot cheaper than the h-d cup holder.

a cargo net will hold your brief case to the back rest easy enough and at work you can slip your helmet down over the back rest . use a small chain and lock to go through the d ring on the helmet and fasten it to the lugage rack. take your jacket inside.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Gilly
Road Captain

Yeah forgot about the jacket, might be a non-issue though, in warmer weather anyways. I wear a company jacket which has reflective stripes on the sleeves and is just fine for most summer riding. When the weather gets colder I'll need leather, but then I can ditch that someplace at work along with the helmet.
I was kind of thinking of a hook for the helmet, but for at work I am fine taking it in the building (I drive for a living, the briefcase thing is for my logbook and tools, stuff like that). But what I did find on the net (twistedthrottle)is a dual helmet hook thing that attaches to the lower 2 holes in the license plate, so I might do that, like for at a bike night sort of thing, instead of just leaving it on the backrest or hanging off the handlebars, that sort of stuff, well, I guess I'm not that trusting. But for at work, I'd really rather have the helmet inside the buildingor in a saddlebag like the beemer has. (In case it rains while I'm away)
My thinking is the Fat Bob I will use if the forecast is OK (if the weather turns bad, I can deal with it, I been soaked on a bike before and will get soaked again!). If the forecast is iffy and I want to ride anyways, probably take the beemer, and if the weather is on the cold side, the beemer has heated grips already.
For the coffee, DAH!, I'll get a thermos. They know me well enough at McD's that I'm sure if I get a small thermos they'll put the coffee in that. Will be easier to handle than a regular paper coffee cup. I thought of a drink holder but would look pretty out of place on a Fat Bob handlebar I think.
I really think I want to share time between the 2 bikes, man that beemer is an 87 and has 90K on it, we've been to hell and back a few times. Still looks good too. Not worth 2 squats on a trade-in of course.
Gilly

Old 03-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't want to turn my Dyna into a Winnebago just for a few luxuries that I quickly overcame...

I hear you on that - have to get up a little earlier when I ride to work - you know coffee in front of the computer vs. having a cup in my truck, but worth it.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:42 PM
rhinoWErX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the detachable backrest and a one of the smaller T-Bags? You'd maintain a narrow profile, have room to carry your laptop and lunchbox, and with the bag off the bike, it still looks minimalist.

It's what I was thinking of doing.

Cheer,
-Jack

Old 03-13-2008, 09:54 PM
kudzu35
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I commute daily on mine with a backpack. I'll toss a coffee mug in there and carry it in the bag but looking to add a cup holder to the bars for convince sake

Bags? I'm still shopping but I have a locker at work and don't need the briefcase.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Gilly
Road Captain

I'm planning on a Haulen *** detachable. I think my shoulder strap will wrap once or twice around that and stay put. It's only about a 20-30 min trip to work (ahem, depending on how much time I have, heh heh). I don't think this would fit in a T Bag. It's not "huge", but too big dor a T Bag. I hate to even call it a briefcase, more like a briefbag. OK OK it's a glorified purse. Something like this: http://www.samsonitecompanystores.co...=C30&pcode=
Or I can cary it on my bod if I put the strap across my chest like a messenger bag just as easily as getting a backpack, but i did think of that too.
I want to try to keep it simple too. For a trip I'll be fine, it's just the commuting I'm wondering about. It's OK though, I still like the bmw but need something else for the long trips, shoulders and arms not happy on the bmw for more than a couple hours. USED to be able to ride it all day for days at a time! Need a cruiser riding position and have never been a fan of wannabe HDs, so am trying an HD, will make my HD riding brothers happy too! Kinda like that John Anderson song: But they never mention meeeeeeee, I'm da black sheep of da family..............