Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My helmet how to

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:21 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My helmet how to

ORIGINAL: tomato

Did the same thing with my Bell Drifter...Worked great. Thing now fits down on my head like a real kevlar helmet. I for one think it's a better way to go versus a novelty helmet - at least you have some foam protection. Also, I'll admit it, I wear my full face DOT/Snell on long road trips and on the highway. I was plowed down once when I lived in Illinois and can attest to the fact that in a contest between pavement and a bare skull, the pavement will always win...
Ahhh, my old friend PAIN, the greatest teacher of them all...

Wisdom comes from experience,
Experience comes from pain.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:51 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: mfuchs2004

ORIGINAL: Wyde Glyde Bry

I've read that the purpose of a majority of the foam thickness is to pass the penetration tests. I believe this is a claim made by ACC.

If this is true, there should still be similar impact protection offered with a helmet utilizing less-thick foam panels.

If you're going to be skewered by some rebar at 65mph you'll need more than an additional 1/2 inch of foam to do the trick. Kapeesh, kabob?
I looked at this spec a year or so ago. The helmet's cover is what has to pass the intrusion test. The foam has to act to decelerate the skull on impact - sorta like an airbag. I wear a DOT helmet everytime I ride and I'd do so even w/o a law. But I also feel that you're only weakening it's ability to decelerate your noggin when hitting something head first from the top of your noggin. I have no doubt that if you're in that position, you're in a world of hurt anyway.

Helluva lot better idea than putting a DOT sticker on a toy helmet, IMO!
Not an attempt to argue with you -- I just wanted people to see I wasn't makin' this up. I found on their website where they state this claim that the Styrofoam is utilized to pass the penetration tests. The accuracy of their statement is entirely on their shoulders.

Click here to view their website. Below, is the quote I referenced in my initial post.
DOT helmets must pass a battery of tests, one being a penetration test. This test is passed in DOT helmets by putting an inch or more of Styrofoam in the helmet. This is why DOT helmets are so big. In our new DOT helmet we have formulated a foam liner material that passes this same test but is only 5/8" thick resulting in a much smaller helmet. This new liner is so good we have applied for a patent on it.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:56 PM
TheGuyWhoPosted
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have a novelty with DOT on the back. My real now doctored DOT has got to be 10 times safer than that novelty which is about 2mm of plastic and nothing else. This process is the only thing that will get me to wear a "real" helmet. So now I've got a real helmet that I estimate is about 15% less safe then it was off the shelf. If it's not this then it's wear my novelty and pay the fine if I get hassled by the man.

From what I've read and been told by helmet educated salesmen, the "DOT" tests are bull$hit anyway and don't really test for real world conditions. Which sounds about right for a gubment agency.

Like I said this whole process is what puts the safest helmet possible on my head. Its sort of my gift to myself I guess. I know it'sway safer than my novelty skull caps. If you do some research current motorcycle helmets are actually poorly designed and the main reason they are poorly designed is to keep the DOT happy that some non scientific standards are being met. If you let Shoei loose to design a really safe, high tech helmet I bet they would come up with something that would be 3 times safer than current DOT approved helmets yet would fail DOT tests. It would probably cost $900 but still.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:04 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Tell me about this old DOT from the 70's you have. Would you be willing to sell it?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:40 PM
tomato
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Incidentally, I have quite a collection of retired dirt bike helmets...Always heard that you should toss them if you hit hard. I've done that 3 times in the dirt. Wondered why and read up on it at Shoei's website. The foam absorbs the impact and does not return to its original shape or pliability - it loses the ability to absorb impacts in the spot where one occurs.

I took one helmet apart and found that the foam was significantly compressed where I hit. Certainly made a believer out of me. Even with the helmet, that one almost knocked me out.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:56 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

Hey no problems Bry - I did read their quote.

It's quite possible that ACC designs theirs to have a thinner foam thickness to still pass that penetration test. But there are several tests it has to pass, and penetration is just one. "Impact attenuation" is the one that the foam is used for, at least for a majority of mfgs. They can frankly use just about anything they want, but they still have to reduce acceleration on a specific dummy headform test.

I'm kinda a nutball when it comes to data. It's a rainman thing I guess. Must run in the family since I spawned an autistic son, LOL! Our friends at ABATE have done us the favor of reformatting the DOT test to something readable. I love those guys, and I enjoy the fact that all of you guys and gals care enough about each other to discuss a topic like this. Here's the link for anyone bored enough to care (focus on S5.1 and S5.2, then follow the refs like a damned tax form):

http://www.atch.com/abate/cdl/fmvss218.html

BTW - If you carve up your helmet, it might STILL meet the DOT standards for safety!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:00 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,087 Likes on 2,115 Posts

ORIGINAL: TheGuyWhoPosted

I don't look like a reject astronaut everytime I ride.

Let's see a picture of this Guy.

mud

Old 03-11-2008, 10:00 PM
TheGuyWhoPosted
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOW FOR THE 70's 3/4 THAT MY GRANDAD GAVE ME - LONG TIME RIDER HIMSELF - I had to reline this 70's model with new softfoam, adhesive, etc. After I carved out the styrofoam core to fit my head I applied a really thick layer of silicone to seal the rough styrofoam surround the soft foam. I removed the entire styrofoam core of this one originally and shaped it outside the plastic shell. I covered the inside of the shell with a thick layer of silicone and then slid the styrofoam core back into place. The soft foam is held in place with glue from a hot gun. Be careful not to use glue that's too hot or it will melt the styrofoam. Holds well to the soft stuff though.

AND THE GERMAN NOVELY, PROTECTION FROM THE SUN AND BUGS ONLY

HAD TO INCLUDE A PIC OF IVAN THE RUSSIAN 12 GAUGE!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:01 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: TheGuyWhoPosted

...If you do some research current motorcycle helmets are actually poorly designed and the main reason they are poorly designed is to keep the DOT happy that some non scientific standards are being met. If you let Shoei loose to design a really safe, high tech helmet I bet they would come up with something that would be 3 times safer than current DOT approved helmets yet would fail DOT tests. It would probably cost $900 but still.
BINGO!!!!

After all, Snell and TuV standards are cutting edge. It's illegal to buy one in Europe and use it here in the states because it doesn't have a DOT sticker. The most current DOT test is from 1997, and it's really designed to be "easy to test", rather than "best safety."

Old 03-11-2008, 11:26 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

LATE BREAKING NEWS: Looks like at least one ACC helmet sample failed the 2007 DOT test. I'm sure not all models, but thought you'd like to know. Maybe that thin foam stuff doesn't work?

Here's the summary:

Penetration test FAILED (failed for all four test conditions)
Impact Attenuation test FAILED (for multiple test conditions)
Quick Release test FAILED (for all test conditions)

Here's the report:

http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...39041-2007.pdf

Quick Reply: My helmet how to