Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Slip ons and engine dies

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:57 PM
70mach1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Slip ons and engine dies

I agree with Hd-sob..
I no its a pain in the a$$ but putting the original exhaust pipes back on will tell you for sure if ite the pipes or not ..
Keep us posted ,,

Old 03-12-2008, 12:02 AM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Priest

I think the anti-knock features would only retard timing if the lower octane fuel was actually causing detonation ... in other words, I don't think the ECM would cause the bike to shut downbecause it was detonating at idle when warmed up.

Priest
I was thinking the same thing. I know pipes won't lean a mixture too much - nowhere near as much as Stage1 - but if he's lean with crap fuel, could he be pinging all the time and not realize it, and the pipes just push him over the edge?

Old 03-12-2008, 12:07 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 39,697 Likes on 13,447 Posts

Maybe he didn't ride it long enough for the ecm to self adjust

Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 AM
vladt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am by no means expert but I doubt very much that changing the mufflers over would cause your issues. I don't think it is quality or octane rating of the fuel you use either.
I wonder if you accidentally disconnected (pulled) off one of the vacuum hoses or something similar. It sounds to me that your EFI system doesn't adjust quickly enough to various air/fuel ratios that certainly change depending on whether you are at idle or riding.

Check all your connections (oxygen sensor?) around the air filter and see if anything is loose or been disconnected

Old 03-12-2008, 08:51 AM
dynaglide07
Intermediate

yes you need to get a stage 1 down load or pcIII you are changing the flow of air. any time you change your ac or pipes or slipons you have to up grade your air to fuel ratio. or you will mess up the system. you can get the pcIII already down loaded for your bike, or you can get just the stage 1 download. good luck.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:52 PM
jrsmith_80
Tourer

I am going to give this trouble a bit more time to see if it works itself out. I have less that a half tank of fuel left (crappy gas) and then I am going to get some quality fuel from out of town and see if by chance that fixes the problem. Myself and other in this town have trouble with the fuel from our only gas station. If the trouble continues I will install the stock mufflers and see what happens. I will continue to keep you guys posted, hopefully it will be nice enought the rest of this week to run this tank of fuel through it and try some new this weekend. Thanks for all the help.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:35 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please let us know! I'm sure that I'm not the only one really curious here.

Not to poke fun, but I was wondering how small a town could be that only had crap gas. I ran the zip. It's small alright.

Good luck with the fix.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:31 PM
jrsmith_80
Tourer

ORIGINAL: mfuchs2004

Please let us know! I'm sure that I'm not the only one really curious here.

Not to poke fun, but I was wondering how small a town could be that only had crap gas. I ran the zip. It's small alright.

Good luck with the fix.

mfuchs2004,

I will tell you about a small town, 1500 people, one stop sign(no lights), about the only thing we have is a grain elevator and a tiny little grocery store. Not a whole lot to do but drink beer and watch TV. Oh yeah I forgot we also have a auto parts shack. We are one big thriving metropolis. The closest town with decent gas is 30 miles away, so I guess you have to just deal with what you have.

Well I went for a little ride this afternoon just around town maybe 1 mile at the most, made a few passes up and down the highway and never had a problem. I got off work a little late tonight so I plan to ride tommorrow, maybe a short trip of 25 or 30 miles and see what happens.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:43 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: vladt

I am by no means expert but I doubt very much that changing the mufflers over would cause your issues. I don't think it is quality or octane rating of the fuel you use either.
I wonder if you accidentally disconnected (pulled) off one of the vacuum hoses or something similar. It sounds to me that your EFI system doesn't adjust quickly enough to various air/fuel ratios that certainly change depending on whether you are at idle or riding.

Check all your connections (oxygen sensor?) around the air filter and see if anything is loose or been disconnected
+1 i have seen people knock off o2 sensor wires and in one case saw them broken

Old 03-20-2008, 06:49 AM
jrsmith_80
Tourer

For those of you that are curious about his problem, when I installed the slip-ons I guess I did not give the computer ample time to figure its self out. I thought 30 miles was plenty but I guess not. I have not had a problem since I first made the post, which is good. Since then I have put around a 75 miles on the bike and no problems. The real test will be this weekend, about a 350 mile ride planed. I dont forsee any pronblems though as I have tried to create the same problem for the past week and have not had any luck. I know there was some talk about fuel as well, it may have been the problem but I highly doubt it. If any thing changes I will let you guys know, I am sure.Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Jeremy

Quick Reply: New Slip ons and engine dies