Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S Quick Set-Up Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:16 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: S&S Quick Set-Up Kit

First of all, Tim, welcome back, glad you finally crawled out from under the snow to come back and participate here.

I just read the article yesterday and had the same questions and WTF? impression you did. I have no answers but I agree they did specifically say that no adjustments were made to the ECM. So, WTF?????

Regardless, I'm happy with what I've got.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:40 AM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I was losing it too!

I went to the S&S site tonight. Lo and behold:

S&S
Exhaust andAir Cleaner Quick Set Up Kits...
are the perfect way to balance the performance budget. Kits include a set of S&S performance mufflers and a high flow S&S air cleaner that will fit on either a stock carburetor or a stock 2001-up single bore fuel injected throttle body. A jet kit is included to dial in the stock carb for maximum power gains and improved drivability when installed on carbureted bikes. Our testing has shown that fuel map adjustments are normally needed when installed on fuel injected models, it is recommended that the bike be calibrated by your local dealer to insure that the engine is receiving sufficient fuel.

AIM says no ECM adjustments, but both moco and S&S still say yes. I'm figuring the answer is still ECM adjustment required.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:35 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40,063 Likes on 13,524 Posts

They tell the name of the H-D shop that did the install and even the name of the tech that did it.Why not give him a call?

Old 03-09-2008, 07:48 AM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

I'll get a copy and see about calling. I admit to being very curious. S&S has an excellent rep.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:49 AM
Trotter
Banned

Best Thing I can tell you is quit reading all this **** and buy a real tuner and get the bike tuned.....Stock is 14.7 = too Lean.....More Air In And more Flow out = Need an Adjustment ...It's Your Bike Man..... Seems a waste to skimp on the most Important part of the bike ..... Longevity... Efficiency.... **** the pretty **** make it run right first ..... Pre loaded maps are just a quess also...Butthere selling them and getting Fat........... LMAO .. Think of it like it's your Heart and you need a Triple By Pass.... You gonna do all three of just what make ya feel a little better..LOL

Old 03-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Chipstah
Road Warrior

For sure you're right Skip, and it's exactly what I did! And couldn't be happier w/results using SERT and dyno tune based on your's and others' recommendations.

But was just trying to make some sense out of this - kind of hard to do, especially when you're working with limited experience, knowledge, and brain power like I am!

Thanks for chiming in.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:30 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: RAWHIDE07

They tell the name of the H-D shop that did the install and even the name of the tech that did it.Why not give him a call?
Good idea in theory but that will really not get you anything but a personal endorsement of the already published belief, on their part, that the ECM can stay stock. You could call the dude and he could explain why he feels no ECM adjustment is necessary and probably even convince you of it. But, you'd still find other people that will tell you and convince you otherwise.

The only way any of us can know just how are bikes are running is to put them on a dyno and let the results speak for themselves. Next time I get the opportunity, I'm going to. And if the results are not favorable, I'm getting a tuner that is dyno-tunable and getting a good tuner to dial it in.

I think the braintrust here in this forum has fairly well established, with anecdotal proof, that the newer bikes are coming out of the factory leaned out. And there is plenty of anecdotal proof here and in publications, as well as pure logic, that says if you take an already leaned out motor and flow more air in and out of it, it can only get leaner. Now, the ECM is there to monitor that and make adjustments but, at best case, it is probably only going to do all it can do to get the air/fuel mix back at what it was set for at the factory (i.e. on the lean side).

I don't think navy is saying he is believing what he is reading. On the contrary, he is not believing what he is reading or at least questioning it heavily. I read the same article and pretty much dismissed it as that kit is not attractive to me anyway. But I did have the same doubts about it.

Bottom line, and this is a fuelpak'er talkin, you just can't go wrong getting your bike tuned by a good tuner like Trotter said. I don't know a single person that has had this done that hasn't gained something across the board and dialed in their air/fuel mix at the same time. I've yet to hear anyone say their bike picked up nothing or lost something.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:50 AM
flynavy
Road Master

I love Chip's explanation - maybe it really is the first Stage .5 to hit the market!! I wrote to AIM about a year ago on another topic, and they got around to actually printing my letter in an issue - 8 months later - by then I had the answers I was looking for.

I like the mag, and typically read it cover to cover, but this article really has me questioning the magazine's responsibility to the motorcycle DIY community, and their overall credibility when it comes to tech stuff.

By the way Trot, I am NOT considering getting this S&S kit, and I don't believe if you begin install of any Stage I combination of components that you can go wrong if you have the right knowledge to begin with. I merely wanted to highlight this article in hopes we could all figure it out and maybe help the next new guy or gal who is about to install their own Stage I - this kit and the article are misleading. Like 2007fxdc, I am satisfied with my own Stage I as is.

The article just begged to be written about on this forum.I'm glad it at least piqued everyone's interests.

I hope we can ride soon up here in the northeast - it has been such a l o n g winter.[&o]

Old 03-09-2008, 11:39 AM
pennetta
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was considering the S&S quick Kit before I heard of this article. Way back when, S&S was one of the few major aftermarket tuners that had reputable performance parts and they are still around. The S&S logo is "old school" and is as much as a cosmetic upgrade as a performance one.
I spoke to a local shop about remaping and he said that indeed 2007 and up ECM's have much greater range of operation and will adjust themselves to maintain proper mixtures with the S&S Quick Setup Kit. The statement that most electronic fuel injection bikes will need a remap was for pre-2007 ECM's.
He said that this holds true for a complete kit, S&S slipon pipes and S&S airfilter kit, but if you mix and match components from other manufacturers you should remap to see if your still in the limits.
Anyone actually have this kit on their bike yet?

Old 03-09-2008, 04:04 PM
dav.elis
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've a Street Bob 2006 1450cc.
I've had the S&S kit without any adjustment. After an accident I must change the exaust and then I put the Python with PCIII and with the precedent S&S air filter.
With S&S kit and no adjustment Ihad a very little popping indeceleration but not so frequent or noise.
I recommend it for an economy change.

Quick Reply: S&S Quick Set-Up Kit