Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake Locked Up

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Zevron
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Locked Up

I have been riding my Lowrider to workevery day.On the way home last evening I was getting on the freeway in heavy traffic cars getting on the freeway in front and behind I glance to the left to see if I had a spot to get in I look foreward and the cars in front are at a dead stop ! doing abot 50 I hit both brakes hard. The back wheel locks up so I instantly take my foot off the pedal. The backbrake stays locked up asI fishtail skid towards the stopped car in front. My plan was to go around the car so I would not get hit from behind but I couldnot steer due to the skid.
The motor died as I was not thinking about pulling in the clutch.About 10 feet before hitting ,the cars began to move and I had scrubbed off enough speed to avoid a collisionthe back brake unlocked moter started and I was on my way home and I was shakey.

I gothome and hit the rear brake hard several timesit did nit stick.
What would cause this ? I havethe Harley foreward controls. This has me worried. The bike just turned over to 1,500 miles.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:49 AM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Rear Brake Locked Up

that's messed up, man.... wtf? ...how long you think they stayed locked up for before they released?

Old 03-08-2008, 09:53 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

never release the back break after you lock up ride her all the way to a stop
you may get the worst end of a high side launch
all the rider classes point this out stay on the back break and keep looking up
Mazz

Old 03-08-2008, 10:36 AM
fastfxrs
Cruiser

If you did'nt think to pull in the clutch, you may have also not completey let off the the rear brake pedal in what sounds like a panic situation. If you do let off the rear brake in a skid, and the bike is at all getting squirlly in the back, you will get launched. The rear brake is very difficult to modulate compared to having more dexterity in your fingers with the front brake. Thats why it is easy to over do the rear. Find a parking lot and pratice your quick stops, with and without locking up the rear. Its a great skill to practice.
Tim

Old 03-08-2008, 10:36 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Count you blessings this didn't turn out disastrous. If you are not extremely confident in your mechanical and hydraulics knowledge, have the bike looked at and FIXED by a qualified professional before riding it again. If you need some advice, look up FastHarley on the forum. He can offer you some professional guidance.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Once you locked the rear brake, the engine would have stalled with no clutch. Could it have been the tire trying to overcome the engine, but sliding all too well?

Old 03-08-2008, 12:06 PM
BadDwg06
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb
Once you locked the rear brake, the engine would have stalled with no clutch. Could it have been the tire trying to overcome the engine, but sliding all too well?
+1
You took the words right out of my mouth...(well fingers...)

Had the same thing happen to me once when I waslearning to ridedirt bikes.

Glad to hear it turned out OK!

Old 03-08-2008, 12:16 PM
ss377
Road Captain

Could it be you hit the brake pedal a little hard and maybe over pivoted the pedal and it just hung up? Readjustment?

Old 03-08-2008, 01:32 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Your leg is stronger than your hand.......you see the car ahead....adrenalin rush....you mash on the rear brake......engine stalls now you are sliding IN GEAR.....until the engine restarts.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:32 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

Your leg is stronger than your hand.......you see the car ahead....adrenalin rush....you mash on the rear brake......engine stalls now you are sliding IN GEAR.....until the engine restarts.
Although you should have the bike inspected just in case, I think KBF is right that it's more likely a case of panic stopping plus the engine kill dragging the tire.

First 2steps on any new bike: 1) master it's friction zone, then 2) master it's brakes.

You got great advice in this thread: find a parking lot and practice quick stops over and over and over again. Then do it some more. Doesn't matter if you've been riding for 40 years, it's a new bikeand they're all unique.

If you ride 2-up, be sure to practice with your passenger. In addition to helping you, they've gotta learn how to react when need arises. I ride with my 10 year old autistic son. We do the safety briefing every time we ride, and pull 2 or 3 quick stops before we get to the end of the street. He used to scream in my ear, now he just tucks in like a backpack with his visor right between my shoulder blades. Makes a lot of difference in controlling the bike.

Beautiful ride by the way!

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Locked Up