Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lepera Bare Bones vs. Silhouette Solos

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:15 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lepera Bare Bones vs. Silhouette Solos

I'm still considering sending my bob seat to Mean City to get shaved and memory foamed but it may be weeks before they can get to it. So, I'm thinking about biting the bullet and opening the wallet for a Lepera solo seat. I know the bare bones is the smallest out of the box solo on the market and I like the look but I don't know if it's for me or not. They also make one that is awful small looking called the silhouette solo. Has anyone looked at and compared both? I'm not aware of any dealers around me that I could go to and see them for myself. I'm 6'4"/240 so, by looking online, it seems the silhouette may have a little more *** room than the bare bones but I can't really tell. If you know anything about these seats and how they are the same or how they are different, please post. Also, if you own one, can you say if it's at least as comfortable as a stock seat if not a little more without the gel pad option?

Old 03-07-2008, 11:32 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Lepera Bare Bones vs. Silhouette Solos

I cant speak for the Silhouette for the Dynas but I have one on my Sportster and its pretty much the same size as the barebones except it has a more rounded back lip of padding and perhaps a little more padding overall, I imagine looking at them that its the same way for the Dyna version. I opted for it over the barebones since it looked to keep me in the seat more rather than sliding off the back. Its reasonably comfortable and will likely conform over time but I can tell ya that its far from being a long haul seat. My opinionis it looks best and it is really slammeddown. You could have them put a gel pad in there to help but I heard that during cooler weather its hard as a brick and in the heat really makes your *** sweat.

By the way, not saying your a big guy but compared to my 150lbs. I'm not sure you will find the seat too comfy, mine has about 1" maybe a hair more of dense padding. The dyna version might be thicker but those I've seen don't look to be.

The following users liked this post:
supersporty (07-28-2016)
Old 03-07-2008, 11:38 AM
storm8732
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have theSilhouette on my bike. When I called and talked to LaPera they explained the only real difference on the dyna model is the fact that the Silhouette has a 2 piece cover and the Barebones has a one piece cover. In my opinion the Silhouette was just a better looking seat. I can tell you that there is not much padding but I hear they soften up a little over time. I find mine comfortable for around town but if I am going to be doing antything long distance the stock seat will be put back on in short order.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:45 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: capttawes

I cant speak for the Silhouette for the Dynas but I have one on my Sportster and its pretty much the same size as the barebones except it has a more rounded back lip of padding and perhaps a little more padding overall, I imagine looking at them that its the same way for the Dyna version. I opted for it over the barebones since it looked to keep me in the seat more rather than sliding off the back.
Thanks. Any thoughts on whether or not either tends to push you forward or allow you room to slide back? The bones looks like it would be easier to slide back as far as the back lip if you wanted. Is the bones narrower than the silhouette?

Old 03-07-2008, 11:59 AM
storm8732
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I am down and back about 1.5" over my stock seat. I dont have any close up pictures on this computer. If you want one just send me a PM and I will post later today when I can get to my other laptop

Old 03-07-2008, 12:38 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a Sihouette on my Ironhead. It is like sitting on a rock.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17633/BD939B280FDE4CEE832B386599BD9352.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I think you might consider letting Mean City Cycles do a little work on yours. The LePera is a well made seat but the Barebones and Silhouette aren't real kind to the a$$. LePera will give you all the info about their seats you want by just calling them. Good quality and excellent customer service. I had one of their seats before and they were very accomodating when I called the with questions. I'm having myOEM seatsentto MCCbut couldn't get an appt. until Apr. 28. I'm only 5'8" so the seat is comfortable for me and I wanna keep it but shave it down a bit and back a bit. No memory foam. I just got a Corbin Hollywood Solo but it won't work with my Motherwell rack and Bikers Friend bag, so I'm gonna switch back and forth for longer rides.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:55 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 07 StreetBob

Personally, I think you might consider letting Mean City Cycles do a little work on yours. The LePera is a well made seat but the Barebones and Silhouette aren't real kind to the a$$. LePera will give you all the info about their seats you want by just calling them. Good quality and excellent customer service. I had one of their seats before and they were very accomodating when I called the with questions. I'm having myOEM seatsentto MCCbut couldn't get an appt. until Apr. 28. I'm only 5'8" so the seat is comfortable for me and I wanna keep it but shave it down a bit and back a bit. No memory foam. I just got a Corbin Hollywood Solo but it won't work with my Motherwell rack and Bikers Friend bag, so I'm gonna switch back and forth for longer rides.
I went ahead and bought a silhouette from ACM on ebay. $163 shipped. I still want my other seat mod'd or I may decide to get Mean City to mod this one but, as you pointed out, it will be a couple of months before I can get it done. The seat I have is already unkind to the **** - as most stock seats are. But it's too puffy looking to me. It was puffy and rode good, I'd live with it. But if I have to deal with ****-burn, I'd just as soon do it with a nice looking, nice quality seat. I like the way the Leperas fit and look on the dynas. I still have my f'ugly assed Tallboy with sissy bar, windshield and all that for long rides.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:34 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

Thanks. Any thoughts on whether or not either tends to push you forward or allow you room to slide back? The bones looks like it would be easier to slide back as far as the back lip if you wanted. Is the bones narrower than the silhouette?
The bare bones sits me back an inch or so as well as down an inch or so. Maybe even a bit more than an inch. It definitely does not push me forward. The seat makes the riding position much more pleasurable.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 03-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's pretty much what I'm doing. Most of the time, the Corbin will be on the bike and I don't like the puffy look on the OEM, so I'm gonna let them shave it a bit and move me down and back. Not gonna get the memory foam so $40 plus shipping sounds just fine to send to MCC. I think you'll like the LePera. Good quality, good customer service and I'll bet ACM has that seat in stock and will get it to you in a reasonable time.

Quick Reply: Lepera Bare Bones vs. Silhouette Solos