Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lepera Bare Bones vs. Silhouette Solos

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 01:43 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Lepera Bare Bones vs. Silhouette Solos

ORIGINAL: 07 StreetBob

That's pretty much what I'm doing. Most of the time, the Corbin will be on the bike and I don't like the puffy look on the OEM, so I'm gonna let them shave it a bit and move me down and back. Not gonna get the memory foam so $40 plus shipping sounds just fine to send to MCC. I think you'll like the LePera. Good quality, good customer service and I'll bet ACM has that seat in stock and will get it to you in a reasonable time.
I'm in no huge rush as longas I know it's coming. And this way I'll have a seat and not waiting on one if/when the weather turns. Now to decide which one I want MCC to alter. Since I'll have the Lepera, I'll probably send them the bob seat and take whatever appt. they have at the time - no rush on that either. If I find myself using one and never the other, I'm sure I can find a taker for it.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:31 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually I just got back awhile ago from about an hours worth of riding on a Barebones and for that it's plenty comfortable.I haven't seen a Siloette up close but I imagine it's about the same.It also moves you back quite a bit which is something to consider in reference to your pegs, it made my mids more comfortable but I couldn't get comfortable with the Highway pegs I tried I felt like I was streching out to them to the point that my feet could easily fall off.It might be just the ticket if your a tall guy looking for a bit more leg room.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:20 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SPECIAL ED

Actually I just got back awhile ago from about an hours worth of riding on a Barebones and for that it's plenty comfortable.I haven't seen a Siloette up close but I imagine it's about the same.It also moves you back quite a bit which is something to consider in reference to your pegs, it made my mids more comfortable but I couldn't get comfortable with the Highway pegs I tried I felt like I was streching out to them to the point that my feet could easily fall off.It might be just the ticket if your a tall guy looking for a bit more leg room.
I'm 6'4" Ed and use forward controls. I could stand to move back from the pegs some anyway but not so much my bars. My Tallboy moves me back but it also moves me up and that tends to cancel itself out. I'm assuming this Lepera will probably be a similar experience except there is no pronounced lip in the seat to force your **** into one position. Some people like the lip and fixed position but I like to be able to slide back and forth a little. Stop at a light, stand up and let some blood flow and then sit back down in a different position. I think I'll be happy with it.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:26 AM
0ut1aw
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my Bare bones but I would shave the seat

Do it yourself

pull the staples shave with electric knife restaple. Do it in stages until you have it the way you want.

NOT THAT HARD

The following users liked this post:
Bronson1987 (08-19-2020)
Old 03-08-2008, 09:38 AM
BeavisRules
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will get off my lazy **** and take a picture of my bike today.

I shaved my seat down myself and it turned out better than expected. Take your time. Visualize what you want it to look like. I can't stress enough to use an electric carving knife. Otherwise you get jagged edges in the foam and it looks like crap.

Will repost later.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:59 AM
0ut1aw
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bout dang time beavis

Old 03-08-2008, 11:56 AM
BeavisRules
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took some pictures with my crappy camera. I hope they are sufficient.

Right side:

Rear:

Front:

Thanks to everyone on the forum who has given me ideas on how to modify the bike to make it my own!!

Old 03-08-2008, 04:47 PM
monstertrippl
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a solo silhouette on my 05 Superglide, good price and well made. OK for short rides.. Stock seat is more roomy.. I have a Corbin solo on my 07 RK. Nice, I never get tired.....Hope this helps...

Old 03-10-2008, 09:18 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Well, due to my being fool enough to order from a questionable seller on ebay, it looks like I'm going to wind up with the Bare Bones instead of the Silhouette after all. They emailed me today saying the Silhouette that they had listed and I bought was not in stock but they could ship a Bare Bones in its place right away. It sucks that people would list stuff for sale that they don't even have. I don't know of a way ebay could control this except to have a rule that could somehow be enforced, with proof, after the fact. Of course, then they would probably just not admit it was not in stock and wait and ship until it was. On the bright side, at least they offered to replace it with something I hope, based on info in this thread, is very similar in style and quality, instead of leaving me hanging wondering where my money went and where my seat is - as was my fear before dealing with them in the first place.

So, with all that said, is it safe to assume that the 2 seats are very similar to the point of almost being identical except for the covering? I almost bought the bare bones anyway because I do like they way it looks on ZeroFiveFour's FXDC which is styled very similar to my bike anyway.

Still a good price for a new Bare Bones but it does kind of irk me that, according to the Lepera website, the Bare Bones is a few dollars cheaper, retail, than the Silhouette so it sort of leaves me feeling I'm not getting as much for my money.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:33 PM
WildBillAce2
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you'll be happy with the bare bones, I put on 200 miles the other day without any problems.

Quick Reply: Lepera Bare Bones vs. Silhouette Solos