Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Belt Deflection Adjustment Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Dynamite17
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Rear Belt Deflection Adjustment Questions

07 Lowrider.

My rear belt needs to be tightened up. I have the Harley belt deflection tool and the deflection spec is 2-3 graduations on the debris deflector at 10lbs force, mine is about 6-7 graduations.

Looking at the shop manual and the bike (p. 1-32), I can't figure out the purpose of the retaining ring just behind the axle nut (it says to remove the retaining ring before loosening the axle nut). What is the purpose of the retaining ring.

The manual doesn't specify, but I'd assume the axle adjuster hex bolt would be rotated counter-clockwise to pull the axle back, can anyone verify that? Wish they showed how that hex bolt connects to the axle.

Also, the manual doesnt specify, but I assume you loosen both axle nuts on both sides before beginning the adjustment procedure, correct? Also, turn each side adjuster the same as you progress.

Step 5 says to check to see if the retaining ring can be installed. Why wouldnt it be able to?

Lastly, I don't understand the comment "Check wheel bearing end play after tightening axle nut".

Any help on these questions? Maybe I am misunderstanding something basic here. If my bike is aligned properly now (seems so) and I adjust each side identically, is there any reason it should be out of alignment afterwards?

B

Old 03-05-2008, 04:49 AM
Dynaflyer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear Belt Deflection Adjustment Questions

Bump

Old 03-05-2008, 04:58 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a post from the Do-It-Yourself Forum about adjusting the drive belt on a bagger. The steps are the same for the Dyna. You may find this more user friendly and less intimidating than the service manual.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_88217/tm.htm

Old 03-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Dynamite17
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: jmpancoast

Here is a post from the Do-It-Yourself Forum about adjusting the drive belt on a bagger. The steps are the same for the Dyna. You may find this more user friendly and less intimidating than the service manual.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_88217/tm.htm
Thanks for the excellent reference.

Now I am really wondering why the retaining ring has to be removed at all, it looks like the axle nut can be loosened without touching it. Your article says nothing about that.

B

Old 03-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The retaining ring is just there as a fail safe that prevents the axle nut from loosing up enough to come completely off the axle. If you have a socket that is deep enough give it a try, you should be able to do the job with the ring in place, I have always just followed the instructions and removed it.

Arcane

Old 03-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Dynamite17
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Arcane

The retaining ring is just there as a fail safe that prevents the axle nut from loosing up enough to come completely off the axle.

Arcane
Thanks, I assumed that to be the case, but it's odd that they tell you to remove it, then make a big deal about 'if it can be re-installed'.

Another part of this process that I wonder about is testing the belt deflection with the rider on the bike, which will be hard in my case. How should that affect the belt deflection?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:43 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dynamite17

Another part of this process that I wonder about is testing the belt deflection with the rider on the bike, which will be hard in my case. How should that affect the belt deflection?
As the swing arm rotates up-wards, the distancebetween the center of the drive hub and the rear pulley decreases. As a result, the belt loses tension. This is what occurs when a rider is added to the bike. Correct tension is achieved when the swing arm is positioned where it would be normally while the belt is performing its job. This is why it is recommended to check tension with a rider on the bike.