Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the right seat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:42 PM
vegasjoe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the right seat?

just got a new 07 super glide. the stock seat sucks. wondering what would be a good to to put on it? im 6ft 3 and harley has a tall boy seat which will move me back a few inches...dont look comfy thou. got many things to do to this bike and decided seat first. then ill worrie bout pipes..lol

Old 03-04-2008, 09:50 PM
2002fxdp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: the right seat?

i think the seat is called bare bones from leparra
dont know much about it but some fellas from around the forum have em and to me they look like what you might be after

Old 03-04-2008, 11:47 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

First off, you're right, the stock seats suck but we all know that. The Sundowner and its brother the Tallboy are comfortable enough but they are big and thick and bulky. My wife couldn't stand the back of the stock 2-up seat on mine so I bought a Sundowner. It pushed me too far forward so I traded it straight up for a Tallboy. Essentially the same seat except that the Tallboy gives you a little more room (I'm 6'4" by the way). However, what it doesn't advertise is it also raises you higher over stock as well and that's not comfortable to me when riding solo. I put up with it for her but she doesn't ride a whole lot. I picked up a stock street bob seat here on the forum and have decided to send it off to Mean City Cycles to have memory foam inserted and get it shaved down for a lower look and feel and they say they can also give me more room to slide back on it as well - an inch or more.

There's a compromise between looks and comfort. There are some cool seats out there though that look better and still are more comfortable than stock. Recommended to me for solo were Mustang, C&C, and Lepera. However, for no more than I have in the seat I have right now, for $90 more I can get it customized for me height and weight.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:12 AM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

First off, you're right, the stock seats suck but we all know that. The Sundowner and its brother the Tallboy are comfortable enough but they are big and thick and bulky. My wife couldn't stand the back of the stock 2-up seat on mine so I bought a Sundowner. It pushed me too far forward so I traded it straight up for a Tallboy. Essentially the same seat except that the Tallboy gives you a little more room (I'm 6'4" by the way). However, what it doesn't advertise is it also raises you higher over stock as well and that's not comfortable to me when riding solo. I put up with it for her but she doesn't ride a whole lot. I picked up a stock street bob seat here on the forum and have decided to send it off to Mean City Cycles to have memory foam inserted and get it shaved down for a lower look and feel and they say they can also give me more room to slide back on it as well - an inch or more.

There's a compromise between looks and comfort. There are some cool seats out there though that look better and still are more comfortable than stock. Recommended to me for solo were Mustang, C&C, and Lepera. However, for no more than I have in the seat I have right now, for $90 more I can get it customized for me height and weight.

I've been through the "tall boy" phase on two different bikes - they areunattractive on a Dynaand really put you up way too high in the wind. I currently have a Mustang Squareback; nice seat but I still don't have enough room to scoot backwards with my 36" inseam. I sat on a buddy's Corbin Stinger and fell in love. I just ordered one this weekend and have a buyer for my Mustang.The Stinger isnot a cheap seat - over $400 with the rain cover.

I've also tried the LePara Bare Bones on several other HDs in the past - they look great, but that's where the party ended for me...

http://www.corbin.com/harley/dyna/hdfxd6stng.shtml

Old 03-15-2008, 03:25 AM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master

I had a Corbin touring seat and saddle bags for years on my 2000. I made the trip from Maryland to Sturgis 3 times with that seat without problems. Comfortable seat but once I took the bags off it's size really was noticable. I have a Mustang solo on it now and it's nearly as comfortable.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:41 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My stock Low Rider seat is comfortable. I had a badlander on my Sporty and that was a brick. It looked good but if I do anything. I will go with a custom sidekick seat from HD with Orange inlay design.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:00 AM
cmhfguy
Road Master

I have a Mustang solo with removeable backrest for the rider. Love it. Comfort is super and it looks great. However, I am 6 ft and my inseam is only 30 inches.
http://webhome.idirect.com/~thom/jt/jt-Images/24.jpg and http://webhome.idirect.com/~thom/jt/...loadedbike.jpg

Old 03-15-2008, 06:18 AM
Chipstah
Road Warrior

You didn't say if you were looking for a solo or two-up seat, but if it's a solo, I highly recommend the Mustang Vintage Solo. High quality low maintenance vinyl, excellent all day comfort and support, contoured nicely in the front for stationary easy both feet on the ground, and reasonably priced. It'll move you back 1" and up about 3/4". It'll make you feel like you're riding in the bike not on it, and no moving around on accel, etc. If you want to spend a bit more, the leather Corbin Hollywood Solo is also excellent, and moves you down and back, but really hard until you have a few hundred (or more!) miles on it.

For a two-up, I've found the Dyna ('07?) SE leather seat to look good and perform well.

But seats are really individual choices as bodies vary so much, and there are lots of choices. I've known some riders to go through 3 or more seats before finding one right for them. Gets expensive!

Old 03-15-2008, 07:05 AM
WildBillAce2
Road Master

I have the Lepera bare bones with p-pad. Great around town seat and it lowers you and brings you back a bit.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:38 AM
0ut1aw
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

love my bare bones

could be a bit more comfy