Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got destroyed in the Sportster Room

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 03:19 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: I got destroyed in the Sportster Room

I thought about not telling this story, but what the heck! It is relevant to the "to much engine" thing. A buddy owned a nice fast 69 Sporty but got a deal on a yr old '70 Kawasaki 500 2 stroke. It scared the P out of him, but he was curious if it was as fast as the Ironhead. Knowing I would ride anything he proposed a race out on the "strip" in the boonies. We lined up and he got the jump as I smoked the tire. When I finally hooked it up I flew past him before shifting into 2nd. I was so mezmerized by the tach needle slamming to 10k, shift 10K, on up to 6th that I almost forgot about the 60mph sweeper coming up. Last glance at the speedo was ~150mph. As I slowed down I glanced back and could just see him 1/4 mi back. Rode on into town, parked at the Dairy Queen, lit up and half finished a cig when he finally rode up(cussin' a streak). He couldn't believe that thing was that fast! For my part I was in adrenaline heaven.
He sold it!

Old 03-05-2008, 07:35 PM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Mandog did you grab the tissue before you came over here cryin'? Shoot I almost bought a Dyna Low. But I have wanted a Sportser since 1986 and I was in high school so I got 1. My bud with the 1200 & Igot spanked by his brothers mod'ed 05 WG. It was back & forth mostly but he had us. Could have been the rider as I had my Sportster for what 4 months when he was here.I'm not 6'0" or 200+ pounds and found the only 2 bikes I'm really comfortable on are the Dyna ($14k)or Sportster($7k) easy decision for me, but to come over and cry about an internet threadthat didn't go your way[8D]Ride what you want,see ya' on the other side. I careless what anyone says about it,haven't actually had anyone every say anything negative except on these boards about Sportsters. Only regret I have is buying a new Shadow for my first bike

ORIGINAL: bikecop40

I bought a Sporty new in 06 and got bit by the Harley bug, rode the little thing everywhere even in the rain! then one day I took the bike to the dealer to get some HD junk put on it, the salesman says bringing in the little ladies bike for some goodies???

Traded it in that week for a mans bike even though it has a girls name D Y N A

D/C
I feel sorry for you honestly[&:]I'm a Desert Storm Vet and a man and ride a 883C[]Vet =I fought for my right toenjoy what I want & Man = I paid for it and careless what someone says.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

All I know is my sporty had all the torque & speed anyone could ask for. As far as the "girl's bike" thing, would anyone put a new rider...male or female...on a Sporty? NOT a beginners bike. 'Nuff said.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:45 PM
brian falcone
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ken01976

****, I put down everybody, but only because I'm better than everyone else. In fact, I'm so much better than everyone else that my opinions are considered facts.
i dont care what you ride....that post is hilarious! brian

Old 03-05-2008, 08:48 PM
rfranz1952
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mandog

ORIGINAL: rfranz1952

[
So you now acknowledge the superiority of the Sportster![sm=burnout.gif]
Facts are facts, and they will follow you where-ever you go.[sm=lildevil.gif]

Please...your not going to win that rediculous arguement here. Facts are facts and the fact of the matter is a stock 1200 is pushing 50 hp. Let it go.
[/quote]

Here is what you said:

"Stock 1200 is 50 hp out of the rear wheel....weight is 557
Stock Dyna fwdwg is 62 Hp out of the real wheel...weight is 639.
That is more than 20 percent Hp and only about 16 percent heavier?
Do the math...compare your weights to Hp ratio and then lets talk facts. I am not putting down the Sportster guys. Just the rediculous comment that it is too much motor."

I would agree, it isn't too much motor, to you or I, but it may have been to the individual making the comment.

However:

Whether or not your information is accurate depends on the model year.

A Stock 1200 (2004 or newer) is 60 HP or a little more right off the showroom floor. A 2003 or older model will run about 53 HP bone stock. Weight will vary a bit depending on the model but from 560 to 590 lbs. So the HP difference, assuming your numbers for the DYNA are accurate is perhaps 2 hp (using a late model Sportster). As near as I can find, a stock DYNA 1450 (88") is rated at 60 HP or thereabouts. The difference in price, again depending on which specific models you are comparing, ranges from $2,000 to $5,000. A Sportster 1200 with the taxes paid (less than $1,000) will generate 70 to 75 HP, depending on specific tuning improvements. A Sportster with about $2,500 in improvements can produce 90 to 95 HP. With $5,000 in improvements--comparable to the price of a high end Stock Dyna (62 HP--your number), it is possible to have a 130 HP Sportster. Of course, it doesn't look much like a 1200 anymore either.

On the other hand, I have heard very good things about the 96" motor, and the Dyna Super Glide with the 96" either has or is very close to replacing the Sportster 1200 as the horsepower to weight ratio king among Harley products.

All that only makes a difference if those things matter to you (or to me). They don't to me. We all own the bikes we do for our own reasons, and I find it amusing to see how quickly we (myself included)get defensive when we perceive that someone has disrespected our ride. I think it is because our rides are more than a possession--they become a part of our identity. Truth be told, on a different day and in just slightly different circumstances, I could have easily owned a Dyna, and I would love it just as much as I do my Sportster.

My initial remarks were intended to be a bit "tongue in cheek", and not to be disrespectful. My apologies to those who may have taken them that way. Judging by all of the responses in this thread, Sportster Riders are not the only sensitive ones. I suspect the same thing would be true of those who ride Dynas, Softtails, or Baggers.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:07 PM
rfranz1952
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

Bottom line: 2 entirely different bikes. Razzing somebody on a Sportster is like a guy in a Corvette giving me crap about my Suburban just because they both have a Chevy emblem.......makes no sense to me..
I always heard that saying "I have a Sportster but am saving for a Big Twin" is like saying "I own a Corvette, and am saving for a station wagon."

Ok guys, just kidding! See the smiley!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:27 PM
BadKarma
Novice

I remember when it was harley guys, and everyone else.
Only harley guys (females are also put into this category....no offense intended)'wave' to other harleys.
'Rice burners' were made fun of, and not thought of as real machines.

Now we (the collective hd group) cannot even get along with each other.

The good news is: we all have invested into an american product that we are proud of.
The bad news is: some have egos.

Ride what you have; be proud of what you have; and its not the where you're going, it's how you get there!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:46 PM
grumpa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in 85 I had a honda that was in the shop more then it was on the road, So to get me home the dealership gave me a AMF sportster , after a while I got to love that bike even with the oil on the new garage floor and walking a block to pick up some parts that fell off, the last time I had it home the dealership called the house for two days to let me the the honda was ready to be picked up. I didn't want to return it. In a couple of months later I rode home on a new 85 FXRS. I like the Sportys but my wife said my *** was to fat for a sportster, Aman
Thanks to My FXDP

Old 03-05-2008, 10:31 PM
kerbykk
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

I thought about not telling this story, but what the heck! It is relevant to the "to much engine" thing. A buddy owned a nice fast 69 Sporty but got a deal on a yr old '70 Kawasaki 500 2 stroke. It scared the P out of him, but he was curious if it was as fast as the Ironhead. Knowing I would ride anything he proposed a race out on the "strip" in the boonies. We lined up and he got the jump as I smoked the tire. When I finally hooked it up I flew past him before shifting into 2nd. I was so mezmerized by the tach needle slamming to 10k, shift 10K, on up to 6th that I almost forgot about the 60mph sweeper coming up. Last glance at the speedo was ~150mph. As I slowed down I glanced back and could just see him 1/4 mi back. Rode on into town, parked at the Dairy Queen, lit up and half finished a cig when he finally rode up(cussin' a streak). He couldn't believe that thing was that fast! For my part I was in adrenaline heaven.
He sold it!
never rode one but i did read the article on that 500 two stroke,it was in walnecks,a reprint.it was very fast i cannot remember what the numbers were.

i have a sporty and a 69 bonnie.the bonnie i have had longer than i have been married.married going on 18 years.anyhow i remember when 700 was a big bike.i have 82 honda 700sc nighthawk in the garage that will blow my sportster away but there is something about harleys and british bikes and it does not really matter about speed,if speed did it for m i guess i would ride something else,maybe the nighthawk..

[IMG]local://upfiles/9232/D3E2B3F24FD6425C9344414D28765554.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-06-2008, 08:08 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Trotter

"People who bash other people's rides have insecurity problems. "' Or Model ....... Exactly ....

your sig pic is awesome

Quick Reply: I got destroyed in the Sportster Room