Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FuelPak vs. Power Commander - My observations

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:20 AM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default FuelPak vs. Power Commander - My observations

Hey all,

In december, I had changed up my fuel system and pipes and decided to go with the FuelPak instead of the PCIII to save a little bit of $$$. Trotter had strongly suggested AGAINST using the FuelPak, but of course to my damned stubborness, I did otherwise and bought the FuelPak.

Now I see why he suggested against it. I just recently bought my PCIII from FuelMoto with a map loaded already from Jaime. And let me tell ya............ WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

With the FuelPak, my bike would overheat like crazy in slow traffic, and idle very low when overheated. It didn't run very good at all either when it heated up like this.. With the PCIII, it gave my Big Radius pipes a whole different sound, it doesn't overheat nearly as bad then with the FuelPak, and it runs soooooooooooooooo SMOOTH! I had gotten all kinds of backfiring with the FuelPak, with every trip including like 30-40+ shots of fire out my exhaust, and with the PCIII, I've gotten maybe 2-3 backfires with over 500 miles put on it already. Its just amazing how much of a difference these two items have showed.

Now don't get me wrong, the FuelPak isn't all that bad, its just that the PCIII is SO much better that I wish I had listen to Trotter and didn't even bother looking at the FuelPak.

Now, this is with my bike not even Dyno tuned yet, so I can imagine its going to get better once done.

But, I just wanted to let you all know this in case you were thinking between the two. Sorry for not listening to you before Trotter!

Cheers,
Adrian

Old 03-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Hutson
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FuelPak vs. Power Commander - My observations

Interesting, thanks for the insight andcomparisons.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:57 AM
sparky248
Intermediate

WOW!, I was tracking another thread on the PClll just trying to understand to what advantage either one of these could be if I had already had the dealer do the Stage 1 ECM for my pipes and a/c.. Now I really see the advantage. I was thinking that the next $$ spent would be cosmetic (really want braided cables).. But I think that my engine could appreciate the love so much more. Guess I am going to have to "divert " a little of the tax refund to a PClll EX..

Man, I am loving these forums!! Thanks for the info.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:43 PM
YesterdaysCorn
Cruiser

Great info....THANKS. I did the stage I on my FB then took it to the dealer for the download....from what I gather it's a very generic downloadand still on the lean side. Been really thinking about that PCIII....think I may take the plunge and order one up next week.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Graduate
Cruiser

When I saw the picture from Trotter with the fuelpak in the bottom of a garbage can I didn't need to find out on my own. That's a powerful enough image for me and I bought the PCll from fuelmoto. Haven't had a chance to road test it because of all the snow but I'm pretty confident with all the good I've heard here and with conversations with fuelmoto.
A couple of thingsI did find out though in the install process.

1- Not alot of room to install under the seat. I put mine under the electric box.
2- Used dielectric grease on the connector to prevent water problems.
3- Set the throttle position with the 9v battery becauseI can't start it up and run it.
4- Left the USB cable attached and ran the end out through the electric box for easy access without having to remove seat.

Hope this saves someone some time. Can't wait to ride. Come on spring! 2007 FXDC

Old 03-02-2008, 04:06 PM
VenturaChop
Road Master

i love my fuel pak man i sht runs great

Old 03-03-2008, 07:43 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: VenturaChop

i love my fuel pak man i sht runs great
Same here. I'm not saying the Fuelpak is better, it isn't, but it isn't as expensive either. I will also admit that, for the current price difference, if I had to buy over again, I'd probably go ahead and get the PCIII just so I have tunability down the road. And I still may buy one, at some point, if/when I fee the need to dyno tune. With that said, my bike runs noticeably cooler and better with the fuelpak and, with the stage 1, overall, it really flies compared to stock. I can feel a difference at any gear/speed. I rode for a couple of hours yesterday. Found some great backroads with some cool banked twisties (hard to find here in flat eastern NC) and some straightaways. Felt like I was riding on a closed road course. I rode her hard, on and off the throttle a lot, and never had any backfiring. I'm impressed as to how much I can wind it up and let off the throttle and all I hear is smooth backpressure putt-ing coming from the pipes. I can get it to pop once or twice under the right conditions but it never backfires. Once again, I'm not promoting the fuelpak or saying it's better. But, one shouldn't read this thread and just dismiss the fuelpak as a piece of crap. There are and always will be differing opinions on this product. But, if you think about it, what aftemarket add-on that is discussed here doesn't get differing opinions/experiences? I'm sure there is no way the fuelpak can make your bike run at optimum level unless you just get plain old lucky. But, it's better than trying to run a stage 1 with a stock ECM or a MoCo remap, IMO.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:51 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I wish I was able to say the same about the FuelPak 2007fxdc. All I was doing was simply stating how it ran with my 2006 StreetBob. But, for an extra $75 dollars, why not just get a PCIII? I mean, I wish I would have done it before. And, you can always dyno tune the bike with the PCIII plugged in so thats definitely a plus. I just wish I had done this before.

I'm not saying the FuelPak is garbage by any means. I'm just saying how my bike ran with the FuelPak, and how it runs with the PCIII.

Cheers,
Adrian

Old 03-03-2008, 06:29 PM
skidsareforkids
Advanced

I had problems with my fuelpak and called V&H they fixed them all in about 5 minutes on the phone. Gotta say I'm glad I saved the $75.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:38 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: AdrianVall

I wish I was able to say the same about the FuelPak 2007fxdc. All I was doing was simply stating how it ran with my 2006 StreetBob. But, for an extra $75 dollars, why not just get a PCIII?
Fair enough. But, at the time, that $75 almost paid for my air cleaner upgrade.

Quick Reply: FuelPak vs. Power Commander - My observations