Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FuelPak vs. Power Commander - My observations

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 07:10 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FuelPak vs. Power Commander - My observations

Good info.

This debate seems to go on and on, but in fact it seems to be a rare occurrence that someone has tried both on the same motorcycle. Most threads are filled with blind opinions that help justify purchases.

Glad I walked into a deal on ebay for a new PCIII and saved myself $50 over the cost of a new FuelPak. That $50 paid for ........ just about nothing compared to the total cost of upgrade expenditures!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:53 PM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

ORIGINAL: VenturaChop

i love my fuel pak man i sht runs great
fuelpak or saying it's better. But, one shouldn't read this thread and just dismiss the fuelpak.... But, it's better than trying to run a stage 1 with a stock ECM or a MoCo remap, IMO.
One shouldn't read this thread and dismiss the MoCo remap either...mine runs strong and no problems..added IED's recently and now cover the O2 closed loop and WOT range as well as increased the rev limit. 14.2:1 AFR, light brown plugs, no popping, good throttle response etc.

If/when I change it'll be for the T-max (expensive).

Old 03-03-2008, 11:01 PM
dynasty
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks man, i've been debating that exact thing. glad to hear from someone that learned the hard way.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:26 AM
ggibson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my fuelpak also, i used to have a SERF so it's a lot better than it, my bike runs smooth, cool and very fast, when I give it a handful from 2nd to3rd the front end wants to lift off the ground, I do get a little bit of popping on decel at very low rpm and if I dont close the throttle off fully when changing gearsI get a crackle somtimes but the techo at Vance and Hines says that normal.
The main reason I didn't get the PCIII was that I didn't want to stuff around with maps/laptops ect ect, I dont intend to change anything else performance wise.

I repect what Trotter has said though, he is very knowledgable.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:57 AM
encorebilly
Advanced

ORIGINAL: AdrianVall

Hey all,

In december, I had changed up my fuel system and pipes and decided to go with the FuelPak instead of the PCIII to save a little bit of $$$. Trotter had strongly suggested AGAINST using the FuelPak, but of course to my damned stubborness, I did otherwise and bought the FuelPak.

Now I see why he suggested against it. I just recently bought my PCIII from FuelMoto with a map loaded already from Jaime. And let me tell ya............ WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

With the FuelPak, my bike would overheat like crazy in slow traffic, and idle very low when overheated. It didn't run very good at all either when it heated up like this.. With the PCIII, it gave my Big Radius pipes a whole different sound, it doesn't overheat nearly as bad then with the FuelPak, and it runs soooooooooooooooo SMOOTH! I had gotten all kinds of backfiring with the FuelPak, with every trip including like 30-40+ shots of fire out my exhaust, and with the PCIII, I've gotten maybe 2-3 backfires with over 500 miles put on it already. Its just amazing how much of a difference these two items have showed.

Now don't get me wrong, the FuelPak isn't all that bad, its just that the PCIII is SO much better that I wish I had listen to Trotter and didn't even bother looking at the FuelPak.

Now, this is with my bike not even Dyno tuned yet, so I can imagine its going to get better once done.

But, I just wanted to let you all know this in case you were thinking between the two. Sorry for not listening to you before Trotter!

Cheers,
Adrian
Must have had it set up wrong because my fuel pak works A-OK.Less heat better burn on plugs and alot smoother run.No decel pop,just slight pop if don't get throttle closed on hard shift in lower gears.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:57 AM
subculture08
Tourer

ORIGINAL: labfreak

One shouldn't read this thread and dismiss the MoCo remap either...mine runs strong and no problems...
Same here Stage 1 with MoCo remap V&H Big Shots Staggered runs great. Last time I had it in for service the tech asked what was in it after his test ride. I do wonder if the Fuelpak will make it even better, but don't want to drop the ca$h and have it not run as well as it is running now.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:49 AM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's more 'n one way to skin a cat so to speak. I choose PCIII for a variety of reasons, cost was important. I paid $395 for PCIII and BS A/C from Fuel Moto, with stock exhaust minus baffles packing and a hole punched in baffles it made a dramatic VERY noticeable difference and drastically lowered the operating temp. Then I got a used pr of V & H slip on’s and had a new map sent. Bob now runs liked a striped *** ape. Changing/updating the map was a breeze, a trained chimpanzee could do it. All told I have about $650 bucks tied up in it as opposed to the cost of TMAX or SERT, didn’t have it tuned, ( may sometime in the future but really don’t see the need at this point).
I’m not about to diss any of the other EFI tuning products, this is the only one I have tried but I give it a full thumbs up. If what you are using works for you then by all means stick with it till it doesn’t.
There are a few issues with the "non HD" units. If My ECU takes a ****, being hooked to the PCIII I pretty well figure it’s on me, but I’m willing to take that chance with all the PCIII out there catastrophic failure is rare or there would be info on that all over the forums.
The PCIII will turn your red line up to 6200 as well which is nice on a 96er.
Main advantage is the cooler running, I sat for almost 15 min at HD waiting on service the other day at 80 degrees idle and didn’t overheat. The heat issue was my main concern, the performance boost while I love it is just icing on the cake.