Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OPINIONS - Wife's thinkin' 'bout a Nightster . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:11 PM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts
Default RE: OPINIONS - Wife's thinkin' 'bout a Nightster . . .

I had an 07 nightster for about 3 months. the ride is definitely hard on the back. it feels as stiff as if there was no suspension, and the seat has next to nothing in it. I guess they either forgot the padding or were trying to keep it a low bike. I don't miss it.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:13 PM
motox285
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

minot, from maine?

Old 03-02-2008, 10:05 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I offered to buy my wife a bike, but she had no interest in it; would rather ride on mine.

I think if she's asking, she may really learn to enjoy it. Good luck and have fun riding together!

Old 03-02-2008, 10:39 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Nightsters are bad ***. One down at the dealer has black mini apes on it -- awesome.

My wife wants one. We'll see if she gets serious about it though. I could care less. I do prefer riding one up instead of two up... so it would be a win/win for me.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:58 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish I could talk my wife into a Nightster, she's been riding for over 10 years when I bought my Bob she inherited my 2000 SV 650 and has no intention of giving it up.Nothing wrong with the SV I rode the it for 6 years and I'm bored with it the Nightster would be more fun,.. for me, hmmm maybe that's the point.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Bishop73
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: mplecha

I had an 07 nightster for about 3 months. the ride is definitely hard on the back. it feels as stiff as if there was no suspension, and the seat has next to nothing in it. I guess they either forgot the padding or were trying to keep it a low bike. I don't miss it.
Exactly!! Keep this in mind if you decide on the Nightster. I rode mine for 2 months then my wife decided she wanted to ride 2 up so we got the Dyna. Now she wants her own bike, just needs to take the written test at DMV. I'd much prefer her riding her own, I'm not a huge fan of riding 2 up. Unless money is an issue for you I'd look at something other than the Nightster, her back will love you for it.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Skaarsgard
Cruiser

For what it's worth, my brother just bought a Nightster. He went from an old 883 to an 07 Nightster and he's lovin it. Still, when I tried it, I thought it was a little too small for me after riding my dyna. It looks great, though.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:07 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior

I took my wife to the Dealer this past Saturday and she sat on an 883L. It was actually a little too low for her. She's 5'7". I think that the 883 standard bike would be a better height for her and is 4 or 5 hundred cheaper. She didn't really like the Nightster and, although she try it on for size, I suspect that it is a little too low for her also. (Dang.) She's still mulling it over. I'm trying to get her to commit to a rider's course before she buys but, she's an adult and I can't make her do anything. (Double dang.)
I am somewhat scared for her to get on a bike. Not for any particular reason but, just because I know it is a little more dangerous than riding in a car and I have grown somewhat attached to her after 31 years.
I have had some close calls with stupid drivers and made one mistake myself and paid the price of waiting on a repair job to the front end and frame. I let a guymotion me out of a parking lot and got poleaxed by another guy that passed him. I'll never let anyone direct me out of a parking lot again.
And I am mr. speed limit and defensive driver. I just can't get an easy feeling about her on a bike but, I guess I'll just have to get over it if she actually decides to get one.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:36 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out the April issue of American Iron. Page 34, article by Genevieve Shmitt called "What Women Are Riding". She talks about women riding everything from Deluxes to Street Glides to the Nightster. According to her with regard to the Nightster, "This is a motorcycle that beginning female motorcyclists need to ride. It's zippy and fun...". I'm surea lot depends on a woman's size. If my wife would ride her own, I'd buy her one in a heartbeat just to keep her off the back of mine and I'd immediately sell my Tallboy seat as well. I'd probably start her out on a small, used rice burner but if she demanded a Harley, the Nightster would be the first one I'd have her try. It's a cool looking scoot and there aren't any more suited to her size at 5 foot nothing and 110 pounds. This is a bit hypocritical for me to say, because I didn't do it, but I wouldn't let her put one in gear until she completed a MSF course, though. However, regardless of other's opinions, making the transition from dirt bikes to street bikes has a lot of relevance. You are already familiar with changing gears and clutching and shifting your weight to control the bike. I had ridden nothing but dirt bikes prior to my dyna and it took me no time at all to get used to it and comfortable with it. And I think that had a lot to do with the dirt bikes.