Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pak, power commander, or remap

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 08:57 PM
harper764
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pak, power commander, or remap

maybe someone can help me out here with some advice. im looking to add the highflow airfilter and some sort of fuel management system to my 07 street bob. my options are vance n hines fuel pak, harley remap, or a power commander. just wondering which is best. the stealer tells me ill need a $400 dyno tune unless i go with the basic remap. just wondering if its necessary. so far i just have the v&h slip ons everything else stock. advice is appreciated, thanks

Old 03-01-2008, 09:06 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: fuel pak, power commander, or remap

Dealer is full of ****, as usual. First off, I'd vote no for the remap. Not quite good enough but of course they want you to get that because it's easy money for them. And, when you change something, you have to come back and get another one. I'm happy with my fuelpak but it is not dyno-tunable. A lot of people around here seem to dislike them and I honestly may change to a power commander if/when I ever decide I want my bike dyno-tuned. With that said, you don't have to have your bike dyno-tuned even with the power commander. There are places (Fuelmoto)you can order it already programmed with a "canned map" for your setup or you can even do that yourself after you get it. Then, later on, you can have it fine tuned on a dyno if you want. There are other options as well but most are more expensive. Whatever you do, don't buy that BS from the dealer. Fuelpak is not dyno-tunable at all and Power Commander doesn't require it although your bike will run at it's absolute best that way. There are many people here that are happy as can be with their PCIII that was pre-programmed and they just plugged it in.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:07 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really would suggest a search, or maybe a PM to Trotter........... Find a good tuner, that's important

DougJ

Old 03-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Bad Dyna
Intermediate

harper764,
I have the V&H straightshot slipons,fuelpak and screamin eagle heavy breather air cleaner on my 07 streetbob. installed all very easily myself. runs richer/cooler/better-more power and better throttle response. the fulepak was $269 and works on throttle position. it is simple and if all you want is to cool the motor - make it run better/richer and have a higher flow aircleaner - this is all you need - setitand forget it. if you want to tinker and fine tune further - get something else.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:11 PM
harper764
Banned

yea i kinda figured the dealer was BS'n me.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:17 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: harper764

yea i kinda figured the dealer was BS'n me.
Ya think?

By the way, you can get the fuelpak online for a lot closer to $200 than what bad dyna paid. I forget to mention also, that you should consider what you might want to do in the future. If you intend to go any further with your motor than stage 1, put the $200 towards a tunable device. Fuelpak is okay (arguable I know) for stage 1 but probably not for anything more "souped up" than that.

P.S. If you PM Trotter, don't say anything about a fuelpak - it gets him ornery! If you do go with a PCIII, I agree a tuner that knows what he's doing vs. just charging you a lot of money is critical.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:32 PM
harper764
Banned

not very many places around here that have a dynometer. when i asked about the $400 dyno, they told me its cause they tune it till its right. then they said it works out to about 5 hrs labor. then they claim sometimes it takes 12 hrs to tune a bike. ever heard of a bike takin 12 hrs to tune? maybe a top fuel dragster but a harley??

Old 03-01-2008, 09:37 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

Frankly, I took the high flow air cleaner off mine and put the stock filter back on (looks better), opened the pipes all the way, and put 2" lollipops in them.
The bike is loud as hell, has plenty of umpff, and I don't have to listen to the annoying sucking of unuseable air going through the throttle body anymore (Trotter gave me enough stock filters to last me a couple years)................ Doubt I'll get the bike over 115 mph now, but I can't stay on too good over 100 mph anyways.

Yeh, I'm serious and I'm seriously considering just getting the Stage 1 download to richen her up a bit......... I know this is all wrong, but I don't care anymore.[8D]I am also willing to bet, most folks putting out more HP/TQ than me will still be looking at my tail lights (if they are lucky) if they ride with me.

No fact, just brag (or something like that)

DougJ

Old 03-02-2008, 12:33 AM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have V&H Straightshot slipons, Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner Kit and V&H FuelPak on my 2007 FXDC SuperGlide Custom. Runs much better than stock in that it pulls much better (more torque) in 4th, 5th and 6th gears. Have had this setup for 3,000 miles and am getting 40mpg on average. I can cruise at 80mph all day no problem and can go about 115mph or so. How much faster do I need to go? Very reliable setup and easy to install.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:09 AM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

I agree with all the above statements with one exception:

You can get away with no moco d'load IF you've got your fuel mgr setup right, otherwise you have risk of running even more lean than factory, NOT GOOD. It's pretty easy to set up FuelPak, so not manyworries.

Now the really risky part: what will happen if your FuelPak goes **** on you 200 miles from the nearest dealer? If you've opened up the breathing, you're gonna torch that motor because it's gonna be freaky lean. I've known several people who had fuel mgr failures with no problems (one was VH, the others were Cobra and PCIII). But one buddy of mine burnt the electrode off a sparkplug and it welded pieces of itself to the piston. The moco told him to get stuffed. The FuelPak was only two weeks old. For what it's worth, VH gave him a new FuelPak, but reminded him that the VH warranty only covered VH parts. Cost him $1700. Just a heads up.

Quick Reply: fuel pak, power commander, or remap