Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 rear axle nut cover - pics!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 12:37 AM
chukmar
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '06 rear axle nut cover - pics!

Talk about frustrating - I went down to my local HD dealer and they told me that the axle covers won't be available until February 15??? I was also looking for the new chrome battery strap and was told the same thing about the release date. Then today I log onto here and lo-and-behold I see pics of the rear covers already installed on someone's bike (they look great by the way!) Anyway, my question is this - does any HD dealer out there know what's really going on??? Way too often lately I've been getting misinformation (check my posts regarding the trans recall) or just plain WRONG info from HD dealers. [:'(]

Old 01-30-2006, 01:07 AM
wild wally
Road Master

Thanks guys!

Wally

PS - Black would be nice for the denim street bobs. Hopefully they'll come out with them.

Old 01-30-2006, 01:23 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liike to powdercoat chrome and polished alum with a translucent color. Really gives a nice deep, almost candy, look to it.

If you bead blast it with low pressure 120 grit beads, it looks like fine metalflake. A green scrubby in long horizontal strokes gives it sort of a brushed alum texture look. It's very differant and eye catching.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:40 AM
T Tommyt
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: bobcowan

I liike to powdercoat chrome and polished alum with a translucent color. Really gives a nice deep, almost candy, look to it.

If you bead blast it with low pressure 120 grit beads, it looks like fine metalflake. A green scrubby in long horizontal strokes gives it sort of a brushed alum texture look. It's very differant and eye catching.

Do you have a pic or two of what you described above

Old 01-30-2006, 09:47 AM
Twohulabears
Road Captain

A green scrubby in long horizontal strokes gives it sort of a brushed alum texture look. It's very differant and eye catching.
Do you have pics of this? I REALLY like the brushed aluminum look!

Old 01-30-2006, 11:29 AM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: chukmar

Talk about frustrating - I went down to my local HD dealer and they told me that the axle covers won't be available until February 15??? I was also looking for the new chrome battery strap and was told the same thing about the release date. Then today I log onto here and lo-and-behold I see pics of the rear covers already installed on someone's bike (they look great by the way!) Anyway, my question is this - does any HD dealer out there know what's really going on??? Way too often lately I've been getting misinformation (check my posts regarding the trans recall) or just plain WRONG info from HD dealers. [:'(]
Just go to the Harley-Davidson web site and get the part numbers of the stuff you want. Then go to Zanotti's and order it. You'll save 20% over the local dealer and your stuff will be at your door in 3-4 days.

Old 01-30-2006, 12:27 PM
johnpiech
Cruiser
Default RE: '06 rear axle nut - pulley guard question

I like the cover on the axle.

I'm springing for the lower chrome belt cover (FXD35 upper is chrome stock). In all the Dyna pics I've seen on the list, it seems as though the norm is to leave both guards on. On a lot of custom bikes, I see a lot of them go guardless top and bottom. Are the guards there to prevent feet and pants entanglement, or is there a real risk of a rock going between belt and pulley while in motion? I'm wondering if there is smaller lower guard that would protect the lower belt/pulley junction and how that would look.

The uppers and lowers just seem like a lot of clutter, but I'm not sure if guardless would look any better. Anyone got pics without upper and lower? Any technical comment?

Old 01-30-2006, 02:19 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: johnpiech

I like the cover on the axle.

I'm springing for the lower chrome belt cover (FXD35 upper is chrome stock). In all the Dyna pics I've seen on the list, it seems as though the norm is to leave both guards on. On a lot of custom bikes, I see a lot of them go guardless top and bottom. Are the guards there to prevent feet and pants entanglement, or is there a real risk of a rock going between belt and pulley while in motion? I'm wondering if there is smaller lower guard that would protect the lower belt/pulley junction and how that would look.

The uppers and lowers just seem like a lot of clutter, but I'm not sure if guardless would look any better. Anyone got pics without upper and lower? Any technical comment?
This is a very interesting point...a few years ago, I rented an 01 DWG while out in Arizona, and I rode for about an hour before my wife started complaining about something rattling around. I looked but didn't see anything, so I kept riding. The noise continued, so we pulled over to look again, and to our horror, we saw something was very wrong. I'll do my best to describe what happened. The inside of the rear sprocket has a metal ring around the edge. That ring was actually knocked off and spinning around the rear axle/hub. We immediately turned around and went back to the dealer. When we returned, one of the techs came out and looked at it. He couldn't believe what he was seeing. A rock had gotten caught inside two of the teeth in the rear sprocket. But worse than that, the rock was pushing up against the belt, and the belt itself was now hanging partially off the sprocket to the side. He couldn't believe we actually made it back.
The point I'm getting at is that I see a lot of custom bikes without any kinds of beltguards and I wonder how safe that really is. I mean, the bike I rented had both upper and lower guards and a rock got into the sprocket.
Just figured I'd share my experience. I'll be keeping my belt guards on.

Todd

Old 01-30-2006, 04:26 PM
johnpiech
Cruiser

I would think that the only real problem for rocks of other debris would be right at the lower side point where belt and pulley meet. The rest, I assume, is aesthetics.

Old 01-30-2006, 04:54 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Twohulabears

A green scrubby in long horizontal strokes gives it sort of a brushed alum texture look. It's very differant and eye catching.
Do you have pics of this? I REALLY like the brushed aluminum look!

I don't have any good pictures of the brushed parts. But the red valve covers and intake are red translucent PC over polished alum. Since the PC is translucent, whatever is on the surface shows through the color.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6263/CFE4F753FDB24D2EB46CB8A0E5FB1840.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: '06 rear axle nut cover - pics!